Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Advice on router setup (VPN and NAS/Plex)  (Read 1568 times)

snadge

• Kitizen
Advice on router setup (VPN and NAS/Plex)
« on: October 16, 2019, 06:13:25 PM »

Hello

I wish to get a router that allows DSL-stats to be run on it but also a VPN directly in the router, I also wanted to connect a NAS drive thats compatible with PLEX server

can anyone offer up any advice?

Iam not fixed to any VPN as I try monthly until i find one I like, Iam currently using ExpressVPN which has massive support for router VPN...even my ZyxelVMG8924 but uses PPTP/IPSec and it says its not safe to use and should only be used as a proxy (manual setup) so i left it.

any advice please on possible units

thanks
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: Advice on router setup (VPN and NAS/Plex)
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 07:06:28 PM »

I'm not aware of many devices that allows a VPN and DslStats.
The Asus DSL-AC88U might but they block telnet on most firmware preventing DslStats.

Get a modem in bridge mode for DslStats and leave the rest to a decent router.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2019, 07:45:38 PM »

I'm not aware of many devices that allows a VPN and DslStats.
The Asus DSL-AC88U might but they block telnet on most firmware preventing DslStats.

Get a modem in bridge mode for DslStats and leave the rest to a decent router.

thanks John I will have a look, ExpressVPN had a list of tons of routers and firmwares like tomato etc, but grabbing a broadcom router with telnet as another problem as you say

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2019, 09:51:04 PM »

Typically Plex Server accesses drives natively to that server, there is not really any benefit I can think of to having that drive remotely on a NAS, especially connected to a router where it can be a huge drain on the CPU.

Where are you running the server and why not have the drive there?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2019, 04:27:41 PM »

What are you trying to achieve with a 3rd party VPN service? I am confused.

I run my own OpenVPN from my pfSense firewall so I can access internal services that way.

Also, my home run Plex doesn't need a VPN - just port forward to 32400. You need to authenticate with a plex account before you can access the server anyhow.
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2019, 08:43:15 PM »

your OpenVPN setup is just a proxie run from home..  and i guess your in a 14eye country, not an ideal setup for me

I use VPN cos I like to have my browsing secure and hidden, and..more so... i like the technology and want to use it?
You can get NAS drives that have PLEX server on there and send direct from the drive to the TV over wifi

the plan was to have a router thats manually logged into my VPN service so ALL devices use the VPN
then a NAS drive with a plex server to serve all my movies on my HDD to the app on my TV

I currently have server on my PC but it means my PC has to be on....doesnt matter how you look at it; its going to be a drain on any CPU (PC, NAS, Router)

anything