Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Face Id  (Read 7658 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Face Id
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2019, 07:16:18 PM »

One factor in iOS regarding the lock screen is, for ‘mugs’ like me that are up to our necks in the eco system, incoming texts appear lots of other places too.   They also appear on my iPad, on my iMac, and on my watch.   In some ways, actually looking at the phone screen is a last resort. ::)

It can be quite distracting when I log into a site with 2FA on the iMac.   It tells me it’ll send me a text then, within seconds, I am sent into information overload with popup messages on the Mac itself, a whack on the wrist from my watch, and a jingle from the iPhone in the other room. ;D

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2019, 07:46:23 PM »

One factor in iOS regarding the lock screen is, for ‘mugs’ like me that are up to our necks in the eco system, incoming texts appear lots of other places too.   They also appear on my iPad, on my iMac, and on my watch.   In some ways, actually looking at the phone screen is a last resort. ::)

It can be quite distracting when I log into a site with 2FA on the iMac.   It tells me it’ll send me a text then, within seconds, I am sent into information overload with popup messages on the Mac itself, a whack on the wrist from my watch, and a jingle from the iPhone in the other room. ;D

Exactly, I’ve turned off iMessage on the Mac too many notifications :cool:
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2019, 03:43:03 PM »

I know what you mean, I have what's app on my PC,  if I don't look at it straight away the phone will go bing a few seconds later. Then there s PayPal, make transaction on the computer and a while later the phone informs me  >:(
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2019, 12:15:19 AM »

Back on topic, more evidence that Apple’s Face Id is better than some...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-50085630
Google Pixel 4 Face Unlock works if eyes are shut
::)

Oddly enough, I stumbled upon one scenario that foxed Apple’s Face Id earlier in the week.  At an eye test, my optician squirted some gloop in my eyes to dilate the pupils, at which point Face Id stopped working for a few hours, I had to resort to passcodes.   Annoying, but good to see Apple play safe. :)

But Pixel 4 failing in a ‘false positive’ authentication... gee, that’s bad. :o

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2019, 03:59:49 PM »

I've recently bought a Moto G7, and it's got face recognition. But I was shocked when I set it up - it just took one quick snap of my face without giving time to line up my face in the scanned area, and that was it. When I tried using it from the lock screen, it only took a brief glimpse of part of my face to get a login. I kept on opening the phone by accident when I was doing other things. Needless to say, I dumped the face recognition very quickly.
  Eric

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2019, 04:20:37 PM »

Back on topic, more evidence that Apple’s Face Id is better than some...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-50085630 ::)

Oddly enough, I stumbled upon one scenario that foxed Apple’s Face Id earlier in the week.  At an eye test, my optician squirted some gloop in my eyes to dilate the pupils, at which point Face Id stopped working for a few hours, I had to resort to passcodes.   Annoying, but good to see Apple play safe. :)

But Pixel 4 failing in a ‘false positive’ authentication... gee, that’s bad. :o

it's not a "false positive" though. it's still the persons face. the eyes being open or shut doesn't stop it being that persons face.
eyes being open or closed is simply an "additional" security feature to stop the phone being unlocked when you are asleep.

however, finger readers have the same issue as it can't tell if you are awake or not.

google will be adding an option to only unlock when eyes are open though, so mostly a fuss about nothing IMO.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2019, 04:27:04 PM »

I've recently bought a Moto G7, and it's got face recognition. But I was shocked when I set it up - it just took one quick snap of my face without giving time to line up my face in the scanned area, and that was it. When I tried using it from the lock screen, it only took a brief glimpse of part of my face to get a login. I kept on opening the phone by accident when I was doing other things. Needless to say, I dumped the face recognition very quickly.

Notwithstanding my well known personal bias for all things Apple, it does actually seem to be widely accepted that Apple's Face ID is in a different league to all the others.   ISTR (but can't find the proof)  that when Google launched a Pixel with Face ID, their press release even compared themselves to Apple as the 'standard setter', citing Apple as the only serious competing implementation.   Unfortunately, it later transpired that you could awaken a Pixel with your eyes closed. ::)

IOS uses more than just the front facing camera, it is supposedly using some exotic infra red technology  with 3d modelling.   Setting up Face ID is actually a little tedious, requiring the user to move head around in a circle several times to allow the sensors to build an accurate 3d representation.  But I don't mind tedious setup if it gives me greater confidence that it is safe. :)

It also allows you to configure an 'alternative appearance'.  I'm not sure if that's intended to allow it to recognise (say) your wife, or to allow it to recognise yourself should you sometimes want to wear a disguise such as false beard and big nose.

it's not a "false positive" though. it's still the persons face. the eyes being open or shut doesn't stop it being that persons face.
eyes being open or closed is simply an "additional" security feature to stop the phone being unlocked when you are asleep.

however, finger readers have the same issue as it can't tell if you are awake or not.

google will be adding an option to only unlock when eyes are open though, so mostly a fuss about nothing IMO.

Indeed, Face ID that doesn't require eye contact is imho no better than fingerprint scanning. :)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2019, 06:47:28 AM »

It seems Apple's face id can indeed be fooled, although they may have fixed this by now, and the circumstances have to be correct.

https://mashable.com/article/researchers-fool-apple-face-id-with-glasses/

Not sure it will work if the victim doesn't normally wear glasses.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 06:51:02 AM by Ronski »

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2019, 08:36:27 AM »

It seems Apple's face id can indeed be fooled, although they may have fixed this by now, and the circumstances have to be correct.

The catch: the victim has to be unconscious for the hack to work.
:D

I guess, alternatively, the mugger could decapitate the victim and just take the head with him, along with the special glasses?   Still a lot more bother than just chopping off a finger for equivalent attack with touch id.

And don’t forget passcodes are vulnerable too by the even easier expedient of just looking over the victim’s shoulder before the attack, while he/she unlocks.   Or if that doesn’t work, by slowly pulling out the victim’s toenails, one by one, until he/she discloses it. 

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2019, 10:22:10 AM »

I thought you'd find that amusing  ;D

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2019, 02:15:14 PM »

surely not!. they are just using it wrong (as apple would usually say).

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2019, 02:16:30 PM »

I guess, alternatively, the mugger could decapitate the victim and just take the head with him, along with the special glasses?   Still a lot more bother than just chopping off a finger for equivalent attack with touch id.

And don’t forget passcodes are vulnerable too by the even easier expedient of just looking over the victim’s shoulder before the attack, while he/she unlocks.   Or if that doesn’t work, by slowly pulling out the victim’s toenails, one by one, until he/she discloses it.

a chopped off finger wouldn't work.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2019, 05:46:18 PM »

I've recently bought a Moto G7

Which model? My wife recently acquired a G7 Power - the battery life is very impressive, she only charges it about once a week.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2019, 06:55:46 PM »

The model I bought is the Moto G7 (Amazon exclusive)
  Eric

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2019, 08:00:47 PM »

Which model? My wife recently acquired a G7 Power - the battery life is very impressive, she only charges it about once a week.

does she never use it though :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3