Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Faulty Heating Element.  (Read 937 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Faulty Heating Element.
« on: October 14, 2019, 10:44:22 AM »

Faulty 600 Watt Heating  Element.

I bought via the firms website a Electric heating element for an oil filled towel rail.
It heated up once and then went open circuit.
So I told them and ask to send me the cost of P&P, they said I had to pay for it being sent back  >:(
I told them As the part was 'not of merchantable quality' I should not be 'out of pocket', but they ignored that.  >:D
They sent me a replacement once they got the first one back.

Now the replacement as done the same Heated once and gone open circuit.  >:D >:D

I also bought a 900 Watt element for a second heater and that works ok.
These are 'PTC' type, where the resistivity increases exponentially with increasing temperature.

Do you think I Should have to keep paying for the return of theses faulty goods (it does say in there T&C I do.).
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Faulty Heating Element.
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2019, 11:35:09 AM »

It does seem to be the way things work.   Earlier in the year I bought a several hundred pounds electronics device through Amazon (sold direct by the manufacturer), it died after a week.   They insisted I had to pay return shipping, even though they agreed in advance to replace it with new, rather than repairing.   That was a small, extremely well known, long-established and highly respected, UK manufacturer.   I'm not going to name and shame as I still like them, wish them well and hope they prosper. Though I was surprised and a little disappointed.  :-\

But tbh I simply lack the stamina to argue things like that nowadays. :(

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2019, 01:37:06 PM »

I believe that asking for return postage to replace faulty goods is in breach of the Consumer Rights Act 2015 (http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/15/pdfs/ukpga_20150015_en.pdf ) - see section 23 (2)(b)
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2019, 02:21:11 PM »

I believe that asking for return postage to replace faulty goods is in breach of the Consumer Rights Act 2015 (http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/15/pdfs/ukpga_20150015_en.pdf ) - see section 23 (2)(b)

That's great thanks, I will have that ready when they contact me  ;)
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2019, 03:22:54 PM »

I suspect you are right.

But what can we do about it if they refuse to comply?    Not so long ago, a call to the trading standards office local to the business could work wonders.  But most local trading standards offices are no longer accessible to the public, there's just a centralised national hotline that gives advice on how to write a letter of complaint.

We could always take them to small claims court, and might easily win.  But is it worth the stress?  There's other laws being blatantly ignored and broken every day that bother me more, such as cyclists using footpaths and pavements, and motorists parking on them (pavements not cyclists).  Yet I don't hold out much hope of these laws being enforced either, anytime soon.   :(

Anyways good luck Mike, if you manage to persuade them to play ball. :)

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2019, 03:39:06 PM »

« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 03:46:06 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

anything