Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Faceplate vs straight connection to splitter  (Read 4442 times)

neil

• Reg Member
Faceplate vs straight connection to splitter
« on: October 14, 2019, 04:30:09 AM »

Hi here i have seen people in uk use master plate with VDSL filter, rf filter built in etc and i wanted to order one but i want to ask is it worth it?
here in Pakistan we get only modem and splitter in the box from ISP it is just a splitter without any high voltage protection, rf filtering etc and i have connected it with telephone wire using cat6 cable
and i have 2 telephone set connected after the splitter
IF i order one master plate with vdsl filter from UK it will cost me 45 pounds with shipping but i can get new modem for 12 pounds from my isp with splitter so i think it is very expensive
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 04:38:05 AM by neil »
VDSL FTTC 35/18

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Faceplate vs straight connection to splitter
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2019, 06:23:46 AM »

The faceplate type filters are very good, excellent performance and tidier so less prone to getting damaged. Available on eBay too, for better pricing. You will need the correct cable - an RJ11 to RJ45 cable for the modem (ideally, or else RJ11 to RJ11 will work but not as good a fit); and the telephone socket will be a BT type socket.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2019, 04:39:08 PM »

Hi here i have seen people in uk use master plate with VDSL filter, rf filter built in etc and i wanted to order one but i want to ask is it worth it?

As you have already identified, the cost is rather exorbitant when delivery to Pakistan is factored in. Being designed for use in the UK, the telephony connectors are BS 6312 (431A or 631A plugs) and variants of "Type 600" sockets. The data socket is 8P2C and is capable of accepting both 8P8C and 6P6C plugs.

If you do not have a telephone connected to the line, then the filter is actually unnecessary as all current modem/routers will have a high-pass filter built in.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

neil

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2019, 06:07:22 PM »

here in Pakistan we get only modem and splitter in the box from ISP it is just a splitter without any high voltage protection, rf filtering etc and i have connected it with telephone wire using cat6 cable
and i have 2 telephone set connected after the splitter
IF i order one master plate with vdsl filter from UK it will cost me 45 pounds with shipping but i can get new modem for 12 pounds from my isp with splitter so i think it is very expensive
The faceplate type filters are very good, excellent performance and tidier so less prone to getting damaged. Available on eBay too, for better pricing. You will need the correct cable - an RJ11 to RJ45 cable for the modem (ideally, or else RJ11 to RJ11 will work but not as good a fit); and the telephone socket will be a BT type socket.

yes that master plate with filter is very good looking and neat that's why i wanted to order one and right now i have main telephone wire soldered with cat6 cable only using one pair in it and then connected to splitter from splitter to modem and two phones connected after splitter
VDSL FTTC 35/18

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2019, 01:51:25 AM »

soldered? really?
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2019, 06:58:03 AM »

As Burakkucat pointed out, the very best filter is no filter at all. If you can get away with no phone or have a mobile phone instead, or telephone on a second line then that might give a tiny performance edge. The amount of performance increase may be minute to non-existent though. But few people - apart from me - are quite so nutty and obsessive as to forego a phone on the same line unless they really don’t need one.

neil

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2019, 02:53:46 PM »

soldered? really?

yes here are the picture twisted together and then soldered
VDSL FTTC 35/18

neil

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2019, 11:21:47 AM »

now i have upgraded to krone 10 pair module and connected my wire using krone module instead of direct solder
VDSL FTTC 35/18

anything