Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: VOIP - is it worth it if you have ADSL and have to pay line rental anyway?  (Read 3795 times)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: VOIP - is it worth it if you have ADSL and have to pay line rental anyway?
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2020, 09:51:33 PM »

I originally planned to setup a PBX and have sipgate accounts hooked into that, but setting up a PBX looked unreasonably complicated at the time.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2020, 09:19:49 AM »

If you're interested in that line, have a look at "3CX".   https://www.3cx.com/ That works nicely with Sipgate.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2020, 01:56:25 PM »

I really didn't want to mess with VMs, such a waste of resources.  Surprised they don't do a container version, as I understand it virtualising is on the way out because its such an inefficient use of resources.

I see unofficial documentation on installing it via Docker, but were back into the "complicated" aspect of getting things working then.  :no:
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2020, 02:15:53 PM »

The Windows and Linux builds can run natively, they don't have to be VMs, there's even a Raspberry Pi option.  A PBX handles real time data so needs some sort of predictable platform, either virtualised with suitable resource reservation or dedicated hardware.  What would be your preferred platform?

I mainly deal with business systems and I must say I don't see any move away from virtualisation in our customer base.

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2020, 12:26:34 PM »

Hi

I'd recommend a Panasonic KX-TGP600 usually supplied with the handset type TPA60, especially for anyone who likes to tinker as you can get at loads of settings.

The handset is a step up from the usual consumer plastic affairs you tend to get now and has a nice premium feel. Very easy to keep clean as there is no printing on top of the phone (the buttons are clear and printed on the reverse) so no fear of wiping off the lettering or trying to clean around rubber buttons, plus backlights really nicely as well.  Screen is bright and clear and it has an LED indicator that flashes to get your attention (message left or missed call).

Panasonic keep the software up to date and it has been 100% reliable with Sipgate.  Works really well if you have multiple numbers as easy to pick "a line" to call out on.

Our copper telephone line has gone now as on FTTP, so it is our landline now. No one has noticed any difference calling us on it, and message waiting indicators work with Sipgate.

In terms of hardware, as is the trend these days, VoIP phones use a design/chipset from the same few companies, the Panasonic is using a VoIP chipset from DSP, and in this model they use DSPs top of the line chipset DVF9919

Regards

Phil
Pages: 1 [2]