Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: WiFi loss  (Read 5007 times)

grumpy old man

• Kitizen
Re: WiFi loss
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2019, 11:22:29 PM »

Thanks for advice.

I have realised that the status log asked for earlier in this thread is reset each time I reboot (just gone down again, 2nd time today).  This means I need to log into router before rebooting.  Have tried this but get error message saying 'no internet'. 

How do I connect to log information required?

Thanks

gom

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2019, 10:29:46 AM »

Do you know how to ping the router from the command line? If so try that using an Ethernet cable when it dies. If you get no response it is your router that is faulty.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

grumpy old man

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2019, 12:37:17 PM »

I didn't but found instructions on net.  Will ping next time internet is down.

gom

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2019, 03:09:25 PM »

Check that you can ping it before it goes down so that you know you are trying to do the test correctly when it does.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

grumpy old man

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2019, 06:59:56 PM »

I have done that and all was OK.

To add to the problems my wireless printer has now decided not to recognise my router!

grumpy old man

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2019, 02:15:20 PM »

Have updated software on router.  This has resolved printer issue which was loss of 2.4g wireless connection. 

Internet connection has remained stable for about two days, will have to see upgrade has a positive effect.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2019, 03:13:43 PM »

Some printers can forget the wireless LAN password when the power is lost - extremely annoying having to configure such a printer once again, to get it back on the network.

grumpy old man

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2019, 08:52:19 PM »

Lost internet today. Tried connecting laptop to router via ethernet cable but couldn't connect to router IP address, can connect OK from desktop. Any suggestions on how to connect laptop to router settings?

As a result router rebooted so no log. However I was checking a few settings immediately prior to losing internet. When checking through quick start at end of WAN settings I got error message that authentication had failed, no settings had been changed at this point. Have now reentered password and internet has reconnected. So it would appear password may have got corrupted?

gom

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2019, 12:12:27 PM »

The password we are talking about - is this 1. the Wi-Fi password or 2. the admin password to get into the router’s admin / config web server and look what the router is doing, or 3. the password your isp has given you, for ppp and which is used to connect to the isp and then the internet ? Just sanity check me.

In Windows you can start up a command line and type netstat (see Wikipedia article about netstat ) and that will tell you what your IP address is and should tell you the address of your router too- as the ‘default gateway’. A router often lives at say 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 or .254 for example.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2019, 08:05:43 PM »

Have updated software on router.  This has resolved printer issue which was loss of 2.4g wireless connection. 

Internet connection has remained stable for about two days, will have to see upgrade has a positive effect.

Have you upgraded to 2.52.d12 or 2.52.d15?

d15 is the latest, it's on the billion forum, but I have not found it on the billion support website, which seems to only have 2.52.d11

http://www.billion.uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=13701&start=30#p33515

grumpy old man

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2019, 06:38:47 PM »

I have upgraded to version d15.

No loss of internet for over a week, perhaps upgrade has resolved problem?

Thank you for all your help and suggestions.

gom
Pages: 1 [2]