Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: WiFi loss  (Read 5009 times)

grumpy old man

• Kitizen
WiFi loss
« on: October 11, 2019, 10:14:14 AM »

I am having trouble with losing WiFi on all devices.  Each time if I reboot router the problem is resolved.

If the problem was temporary loss from exchange I imagine devices would reacquire signal once service is reconnecting.  This leads me to think it's a router problem?

My router is a Billion Bipac 8800 AXL R2.

Any suggestions?

gom

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: WiFi loss
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2019, 01:12:23 PM »

We need to establish first if it is either

- a line problem (No sync with the exchange)
- an ISP issue/loss of PPP (No routing out to the Internet)
- Purely wifi

Do you have a laptop or PC which you can connect via network cable into the Billion to check status next time it happens?

If the problem was temporary loss from exchange I imagine devices would reacquire signal once service is reconnecting.

You would expect the line to automatically resync after a lost connection.. and wifi should become available again.
Very occasionally after a loss of sync you can have problems getting a PPP session again to your ISP - and obviously you will have no wifi connectivity out on to the internet.

Even if sync is down or you have no PPP you should still be able to access your modem via wifi using http://192.168.1.254 

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

grumpy old man

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2019, 10:20:30 AM »

Thank you for your reply

Yes I can attach laptop via ethernet cable to router.  What information do I need to look for?  Can I connect at anytime or just when WiFi goes down before reboot?

I recall that I had a problem some months ago where the 5g wifi connection kept cutting out so used 2.4g instead.  This problem eventually resolved itself and I went back to 5g.

gom
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 11:24:24 AM by grumpy old man »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2019, 10:42:48 PM »

>> What information do I need to look for?

You are testing to see if you still have connectivity to the internet and ensure that it is not just the wifi which has gone down.... and to ascertain where the point of failure is.

Using an ethernet cable you need to check that
1) You still have connectivity to the Internet - just surf anywhere you like so that you know the modem side of things is ok.
2) You can also log into your modem/router to check your line stats to ensure you have sync to the exchange.

When wifi goes down you should also test if it is the WLAN by attempting to access the Billion from a mobile device by pointing your (mobile) browser to http://192.168.1.254

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

grumpy old man

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2019, 11:05:16 AM »

Thank you, will post results next time WiFi goes down.

gom

grumpy old man

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2019, 05:30:34 PM »

WiFi down, reconnected after reboot.

Connected laptop via ethernet, no internet connection.  I forgot to try mobile connection as suggested, will do so next time.

I have stats but I don't know how to read them. The stats I have are LAN, WAN, xTM and xDSL.  What am I looking for?

As there was no internet connection when connecting laptop presumably this means loss of signal from exchange?

Thank you

gom

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2019, 06:42:55 PM »

Have you looked in the log on the router - any clue in there?
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

grumpy old man

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2019, 10:37:56 AM »

What would I be looking for?

gom

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2019, 06:10:08 PM »

Post the log entries from around the time you lost the connection up to where you can see it rebooting and we'll interpret them for you.

grumpy old man

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2019, 09:53:10 AM »

There are no logged events in system log when WiFi has gone down.  There is an entry for today and before the last one was in January..

How do I insert copy of log into post?

gom

grumpy old man

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2019, 12:29:26 PM »

WiFi just gone down again.  Interestingly when I have refreshed log today's entry had disappeared.

gom

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2019, 12:56:46 PM »

There are no logged events in system log when WiFi has gone down.  There is an entry for today and before the last one was in January..

How do I insert copy of log into post?

gom

This sounds like the router is effectively performing a power-on reset, which generally looses any previous log details.
I would say that either the router or the power supply has developed a fault.
My first step would be to try another power supply unit if you have one available.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

grumpy old man

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2019, 02:11:58 PM »

I have a number of power units.  They are all rated 12V ---- 1A.  The one supplied with billion router refers to 'switching mode adapator' and rated 12V ---- 2A.

Can I use the 12V --- 1A adaptors that are not switching mode (no idea what this is).?

gom

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2019, 02:31:40 PM »

If you can still access the router via an Ethernet cable when the WiFi fails get a copy of the log BEFORE you reboot the router.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2019, 02:48:45 PM »

I have a number of power units.  They are all rated 12V ---- 1A.  The one supplied with billion router refers to 'switching mode adapator' and rated 12V ---- 2A.

Can I use the 12V --- 1A adaptors that are not switching mode (no idea what this is).?

gom

I wouldn't chance a 1A one. If they are not switched mode then they are probably the older transformer type of supply (will be noticeable heavier than an equivalent switched mode).
I've just realised that you are having to reboot the router as opposed to it rebooting itself, so it is clearly crashing intermittently. I'd still say that you probably have a hardware fault in either the router or the power supply though.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A
Pages: [1] 2

anything