Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Scotland R100 news  (Read 6779 times)

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
Scotland R100 news
« on: October 10, 2019, 11:12:56 PM »

The Scottish Government today announced that BT is their ONLY bidder for two of the three areas under the new £600m R100 (Reaching 100%) project, which originally (here) aspired to make “superfast broadband” (30Mbps+) ISP networks available to “every single premise in Scotland” by the end of 2021 (March 2022 financial).

More at https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/10/scotland-pick-bt-for-part-of-600m-superfast-broadband-rollout.html

Also covered at https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/8562-bt-only-bidder-in-2-out-of-3-scottish-r100-contract-areas

« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 11:49:51 AM by gt94sss2 »

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
Re: Scotland R100 news
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2019, 10:25:58 PM »

BT have also now been awarded Lot 1 of the Scotland R100 programme.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/11/bt-scoop-lot-1-of-scotlands-r100-superfast-broadband-rollout.html

This is the one that would apply to Weaver's part of the world.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2021, 12:44:13 PM »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2021, 06:06:41 PM »

Do we think this is real? I’m assuming that unless it’s all a cop out and they say "just use 4G" it would mean BT would have to run fibre into Heasta and then hopefully put FTTP in, not FTTC, that would be madness.

I wonder if AA would be kind enough to track this for me, if I ask them really nicely?

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2021, 06:28:32 PM »

Do we think this is real? I’m assuming that unless it’s all a cop out and they say "just use 4G" it would mean BT would have to run fibre into Heasta and then hopefully put FTTP in, not FTTC, that would be madness.

The checker says:

A new superfast connection is being built in your area. It's part of the Scottish Government’s broadband improvement scheme.

Your connection will be delivered after the end of 2021. Based on the current engineering schedule your address is in scope to receive its superfast connection in 2025.

So yes, I assume you will eventually be getting FTTP, its the only logical choice for your area as you say.

The FTTP Openreach checker for your address also says:

We're sorry, our fibre products aren't available for you yet. However, we are starting to roll out our Ultrafast Full Fibre in your area.

You can register your details with OR and they might be willing to share more information re: dates via email (though they might not have been estimated yet)

For a even more remote location (PH41 4PL) the checker only talks about offering a £5,000 voucher.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2021, 06:35:13 PM by gt94sss2 »

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2021, 06:03:29 PM »

I'm sceptical myself.  The checker now says for my address ..
Your connection will be delivered after the end of 2021. Based on the current engineering schedule your address is in scope to receive its superfast connection in 2025.
However with all the previous quotes and comments about individual addresses not being commercially viable, I will believe it when I see it.  As it stands I just can't see them running nearly 1000m of fibre just to serve one property.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2021, 06:29:46 PM »

As it stands I just can't see them running nearly 1000m of fibre just to serve one property.

Remember that the R100 is a state funded BDUK type scheme -  so it doesn't have to be commercially viable. Having said that, there are going to be some properties they don't bother with.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2022, 02:58:27 PM »

The Scottish Government has unveiled an extension of their existing £600m Reaching 100% (R100) contract with BT (Openreach), which will see a further £36m being invested to cover an additional 2,637 rural properties with a gigabit-capable Fibre-to-the-Premises (FTTP) based broadband ISP network. But completion is now 2028!

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2022/08/scotland-unveil-36m-extension-of-r100-fibre-broadband-rollout.html

noddy

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2022, 07:55:47 PM »

I'll not be holding my breath or putting any bets on when I get this ;)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2022, 08:08:27 PM »

I'll not be holding my breath or putting any bets on when I get this ;)

Neither should anybody else .... regardless of where they live .... and I count myself in that, too.

It happens when it happens.  ;)

noddy

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2022, 08:39:06 PM »

Neither should anybody else .... regardless of where they live .... and I count myself in that, too.

It happens when it happens.  ;)
IF it happens  :D

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2022, 08:31:47 AM »

Agree.  I suspect there'll be plenty of properties just told to made do with satellite.  Although on that basis I suppose they could claim to have already reached "R100".

Assuming the actually do proceed with FTTP in a given exchange, I wonder whether a property having an existing live copper line will be a factor in whether they are or are not included?  Just thinking of people like ourselves where really we might as well cease the copper line as it's barely workable even as a fall-back Internet connection.  But maybe doing so will mean we're not eligible for fibre (if it ever comes).

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2022, 12:25:54 PM »

That’s a good point, about whether or not you have a copper internet connection. But as you said, if people are being told to make do with satellite, then we have already reached R100 and Openreach can pack up and go home right now, job done. One of my neighbours, in the most difficult position in the village, has no 4G coverage and the DSL is maybe 1 Mbps downstream, I think it was mentioned. They already have satellite.

But as I mentioned earlier, some of the very remotest parts of Skye are being done with FTTP right now, as my OR engineer told me. Gleann Dàil, and Dùn Tuilm were specific examples he gave me, and presumably the Bhatairnis ‘middle finger’ peninsula too. I wonder if it could be anything to do with the fact that our MP lives up there?

Where I am, there are now 31 houses in Heasta now, Janet tells me. So at least OR wouldn’t have to be doing one single isolated house. So I think there is hope, despite my natural skepticism. So is that approx 1 PON’s worth? Would there be a need for some active optoelectronics in Heasta?

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2022, 12:27:26 PM »

Where I am, there are now 31 houses in Heasta now, Janet tells me. So at least OR wouldn’t have to be doing one single isolated house. So I think there is hope, despite my natural skepticism. So is that approx 1 PON’s worth? Would there be a need for some active optoelectronics in Heasta?

Guess that depends how far away the head end is by ducting/poles?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2022, 12:41:02 PM »

Usually, 1 x PON = 120THP maximum, (8THP for future proofing, making potentially 128THP in total).

It is the number of SASA's in the splitter node joint, that create the actual PON THP number.
One SASA = one fibre = 32THP.

With our lowest fibre cable count carrying 36fibres anyway, it would matter not whether they used one SASA or two SASA's for your area.

Your head-end is based in Kyle, as an aside.
Pages: [1] 2