Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: A grump about take away portion sizes  (Read 4625 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: A grump about take away portion sizes
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2019, 09:34:05 PM »

I, of course, am now looking forwards to a pleasant breakfast consisting of two or three big lumps of surplus chicken, the lentil gloop, and a good amount of okra.

The lentils and okra should both count towards my 5-a-day so I reason, it will be also be a hugely healthy breakfast. :)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2019, 09:40:26 PM »

Possibly so.   In my entire life I have very rarely ventured  a McDonalds, but not ‘never’.   One time I did eat there was in rural Louisiana, and I was absolutely stunned by the food portions that were being served, and eaten.

I think a problem is though, restaurants have to remain competitive with one another.   I suspect once a restaurant starts serving gigantic portions that are big enough to share, it’ll become the goto place for family takeaways, as it appears to be ‘good value’.   So in order to keep their customers, all the other eateries in town follow suit.

Assuming many of these massive meals don’t actually get eaten, I wonder how much simply goes in the bin?   Or in this age of PC, goes in the “food waste disposal caddy” provided by local authorities, making it all right?

My local (Cutlers Spice, Sheffield) donates to a food bank.

I also do not find the large portions problematic as I like to share or have it for another meal later.

I suspect if they halved their portions, they couldn't halve their prices so anyone who dared to do it would soon go under.

In fact, its supermarkets that are a bigger problem for people I know.  Everything is designed for families, so single people end up seriously overpaying for everything.  Heck, its almost better value to go to the takeaway than use microwave rice.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2019, 10:06:36 PM »

My own biggest gripe about supermarket portions is the tendency to use fixed weight, fixed price, packaging. This means that a pack of 2 chicken breasts can’t come from the same animal unless, by an amazing feat of self control, the chicken managed to grow to precisely the target weight.   Instead, the packs are sorted with pieces from different birds, one big, one small, so as to balance the weight.  Same applies of course to pieces of fish, lamb chops, etc.

Since my own household consists of two grown adults with broadly similar appetites, any such imbalance can lead to debate at meal serving times, as to who gets which portion.... ;D

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2019, 10:09:33 PM »

.  Heck, its almost better value to go to the takeaway than use microwave rice.

You really need to learn how to cook and freeze stuff, our daughter manages at uni to buy at a super market, cook meals and freeze left overs. Simple answer with the rice, don't use microwave rice, buy normal rice and just cook what you need, simple really and cheaper.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2019, 10:23:57 PM »

Agree with that, Ronski.   My own earlier example of packs of chicken breasts is actually something I rarely buy, because you can sometimes get a whole chicken for not much more than a pack of two breasts.   And with a whole chicken, usually, both breasts are the same size.

In about 10-15 minutes I can joint the raw chicken, setting aside the breasts if that’s what we need, and freezing the other quarters.   The carcass then gets boiled for stock, used for soups over the next few days.  And all that, for not much more than the price tag on two pre-packed breasts.

Stating the obvious, kitchen hygiene is extremely important when cutting up raw chickens.   Don’t even attempt it without reading up on hygiene first.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2019, 05:14:20 AM »

@7lm that was indeed in London. On Drummond St near St Pancras. Used to visit Ravi Shankar for ten years but last time I went it had changed hands and had gone completely down hill. My favourite now is probably Woodlands restaurant just off Marylebone High St near where I used to work. Parathas and idli are superb there. Last went there in 2010 when I flew down to London for a couple of days. I went with my wife to a superb restaurant just of Tottenham Court Road - trying to remember the name - very posh veggie place. Indian restaurants can be heaven or hell for veggies.

I had some beautiful pakoras in Bradford at a famous restaurant but I don’t recall the name.

I remember when you could get a superb meal for £6 per person on Drummond St - shows you how long ago that was.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 08:28:36 AM by Weaver »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2019, 06:19:30 PM »

Take away portions seem to have shrunk less than food in supermarkets, 40g yoghurt tub anyone?

I think the most tell tale shrinkage I have seen on takeaways is dominoes. 

Instead takeaway's seem to have adopted sky's level of price inflation.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2019, 12:31:02 PM »

You really need to learn how to cook and freeze stuff, our daughter manages at uni to buy at a super market, cook meals and freeze left overs. Simple answer with the rice, don't use microwave rice, buy normal rice and just cook what you need, simple really and cheaper.

There are so many reasons that's not practical, a lot of them involving a council house with a crap kitchen fan, a crap kitchen sink and disabilities in my hands, combined with being prone to forgetting to eat until its so late you need it NOW.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2019, 03:45:21 PM »

I can sympathise with some of the above :/

One thing I do find annoying is that years ago when you bought frozen rice it was one bag filled with rice and you poured out exactly how much you wanted into the pan.  Quick and easy done in minutes and actually tasted OK.

You don't seem to be able to buy bags of frozen rice these days - instead the pack usually consist of 4 x steam bags which 9 times out of 10 isn't the portion size I want.  :no:   
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2019, 04:21:48 PM »

Remember all those futuristic films which show portions not much bigger than a brussel sprout?

I now reckon the producers of these films are trolling the food industry on reducing portion sizes. :D

Probably will turn out to be true in 2100.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2019, 08:25:20 PM »

Since the tread has meandered from take aways to supermarkets, may I suggest a further meander...?

I have just got back from 3 days in sunny wet and windy Devon.   We stayed in a reasonably classy hotel, £200 per night.

Now for me, a treat of such a weekend has always been the full English breakfast.   In earlier parts of my life, that would be a slice of bacon, a sausage, an egg (always fried) and maybe a slice of tomato or some mushrooms.

Nowadays, even a reasonably upmarket hotel, the ‘default’ full English seems to be large sausage, two thick bacon slices, two eggs, a whole tomato, a big pile of mushrooms, bubble & squeak, and fried bread.   I had it each morning, and it was quite delicious.   Only trouble is, having wolfed down all that food, there’s no way I could indulge in my other holiday treat, which always used to be fish & chips for lunch, eaten from the paper whilst strolling the pier. :(

Evening meals were just as OTT.   In one establishment, other half ordered a chicken dish that offered an option of either “half chicken” or “whole”.   I expected the chickens involved to be small but they were not.   The Whole Chicken, meant to be a single main course and when served to an adjacent table, turned be the same size bird I’d cook at home for Sunday lunch when feeding 4 adults or more.  Thankfully, she ordered half but even so, it robbed us of the opportunity to try some of the tempting deserts on offer.

All this does contrast with two recent holidays in France.   Breakfast each time was a self serve buffet, but plates were quite small, vs the modern British ‘dustbin lids’, so it easier to show restraint.   Evening meals, we were always able to enjoy two or three courses, without being overly stuffed. :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2019, 06:10:23 PM »

tsk tsk... no baked beans  :lol:

I agree the traditional English breakfast has to be done.   
We would usually compromise though by skipping lunch or having a very light snack in order to be able to enjoy the evening meal.   
However a full size chicken is definitely OTT for one person.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2019, 06:13:17 PM »

No black-pudding?  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2019, 06:46:04 PM »

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2019, 06:50:19 PM »

I agree the traditional English breakfast has to be done.

Indeed, I just can’t say ‘No’, regardless of the harm it may do to my waistline.  ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3

anything