Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: A grump about take away portion sizes  (Read 4684 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
Re: A grump about take away portion sizes
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2019, 06:27:51 PM »

I dont use hotels much now with the cost, but I had a english breakfast few months back, and portion ddidnt seem any smaller than when I was a child, will never grow old of english breakfasts's.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2019, 06:44:40 PM »

I dont use hotels much now with the cost, but I had a english breakfast few months back, and portion ddidnt seem any smaller than when I was a child, will never grow old of english breakfasts's.

I wasn’t suggesting it was smaller.  Quite the opposite, it was obscenely large, to the extent I was physically unable to eat any lunch, even after a morning stomping back and forth along the coastal path.  And that was my gripe, as I really look forwards to a lunchtime treat of fish & chips eaten on the pier, when on UK hols. :(

That said, by golly it was a good breakfast.  Black pudding would have made it perfect, but this was Devon.   :D

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2019, 12:25:02 PM »

I sometimes pop down to the local Premier Inn JUST to have the buffet breakfast.

Full English, followed by a fruit salad to wash it down.  Actually planning on that tomorrow morning before I head off to Glasgow for the weekend.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2019, 12:57:54 PM »

Somerset Maugham apparently said “To eat well in England you should have breakfast three times a day.”    Too true.  Would be good to see his advice officially sanctioned alongside other government published ‘eat well’ guidance, ‘5 a day’ whatever? :D

PS:  Despite being Scottish, I don’t actually mind Maugham’s specific use of ‘England’.   At risk of upsetting other Scots, sorry... but I’ve usually found English breakfasts, in some indescribable way, to have the edge. ::)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2019, 02:17:40 PM »

As a southern Englishman, I'm going to put in a good word for Scottish breakfast (admittedly based on a small number of examples). I haven't forgotten a small hotel I stayed in about 25 years ago, not far from Glasgow. The breakfast consisted of the sort of things we think of as English breakfast, but with the addition of a piece of wonderfully mature, melt-in-the-mouth steak. I can still taste it now. :yum:
  Eric

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2019, 06:36:40 PM »

I’ve never come across steak for breakfast, but I can understand that it would make for a memorable experience.

The other decidedly Scottish feature, though not everywhere serves it, would be the square sausages, known as Lorne.  There was a time, if I let on I was visiting home, I’d get inundated with requests from fellow expats, living down south, to return carrying packs of Lorne sausages.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorne_sausage

I think either Aldi or Lidl got in trouble recently (as in got some free advertising) for launching their own square sausage, as if it was a new thing.   Not so much reinventing the wheel, as reinventing the square? :)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 06:39:52 PM by sevenlayermuddle »
Pages: 1 2 [3]