Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BBC Sensationalism #2  (Read 997 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
BBC Sensationalism #2
« on: November 07, 2019, 11:59:44 PM »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-50333233

‘Biblical’ rainfall leaves streets flooded

Heavy rain, yes.  Unusually heavy, yes.   When I was young we used to call it ‘wet weather’.   I remember being stuck on a bus south side of Glasgow for an hour or two, on the way home from school, early 70s, waiting for floods to subside.  :o

Evidence of Genesis’s 40 days and 40 nights of floods.  Err no, that’s a leap in reasoning.   :D

Yes I know, there’s actually no particular definition of ‘biblical rain’.  Trashy tabloid papers have used such headlines for many years.   But how sad, imho, that the BBC have reduced themselves to that level. :(

PS:   They’re having second thoughts.   The bbc news homepage headline still says ‘Biblical’, but the page I linked just says ‘Torrential’.   Might as well be the old classic, “London bus spotted on the moon”. :D
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 12:05:29 AM by sevenlayermuddle »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: BBC Sensationalism #2
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 06:39:38 AM »

I noticed that one too. On Radio 4 I heard a BBC journalist describe the weather as "nearly biblical", which seems even dafter.
  Eric

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2019, 08:01:03 AM »

Yes I know, there’s actually no particular definition of ‘biblical rain’.
IIRC it has to include frogs.   ;)
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2019, 08:12:19 AM »

Watching Breakfast TV, does sound pretty bad, poor folks trapped in that shopping centre. :o

No mention of ‘biblical’ so far.    But the weather guy described it as “over a month’s rainfall”.   That’s also pretty meaningless imho, as monthly rainfall varies a lot throughout the year, and he didn’t tell us which month he was comparing it too.

I’m betting that is is actually a fairly extreme event, but I want the facts not the sensationalism.  Personally I’d far rather they just just expressed it in inches of rainfall so I can compare it to other events elsewhere, and historical.

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2019, 08:29:01 AM »

A bigger issue is the terrible left-wing bias the BBC suffers from...
Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2019, 08:42:02 AM »

Hi

@7lm - sorry it was stated for the month November - so Yorkshire has had more then their quota of rain for November and hoping for a mini heat wave for the remainder of November in Yorkshire :)

Watching look north last night, the presenter was stood by a wall which was about waist height and behind it you could see water - could not tell how deep it was though, and the studio referred to it as a river — right up until a van drove through it and the water (er sorry river) did not even get past the tyres to the rims

Made me smile (not the weather but the fact it stopped the presenters calling it a river)

I know the A1 is closed at Doncaster but this is low lying and it’ll be flooded in the dip

Many thanks

John

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2019, 10:04:33 AM »

We spent last weekend in Devon, quite bit of flooding on Saturday, and a few road closures too.   

Trouble with Devon is, if you’re forced onto the minor roads, you sometimes wish you’d brought some gardening tools just to clear a path through the shrubbery.   And even without the floods, remind me never again to trust Google navigation’s ‘short cuts’  in Devon, but that’s off topic. :D

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2019, 02:02:03 PM »

Lots of deep flooding around this area, with a woman being swept away last night at Rowsley North of Matlock Derbyshire and sad to say they found her body north of Derby this morning.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.