Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BBC Sensationalism?  (Read 1240 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
BBC Sensationalism?
« on: October 30, 2019, 10:53:43 PM »

BBC ‘news’ does sometimes amuse me...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50242291

Headline says...

Apple profits hit by slowing iPhone sales

The article concludes...

Apple shares gained almost 2% in after-hours trade.

:D

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: BBC Sensationalism?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2019, 06:42:58 AM »

I think and I've said it before that a lot of people are starting to see Apple for what they are, rip off merchants.

Sales have certainly dropped in China  :)

https://www.forbes.com/sites/zakdoffman/2019/10/30/huawei-shoots-up-66-as-apple-plummets-china-has-given-its-blacklist-verdict/

PS absolutely loving my Huawei Mate Pro 20, absolute bargain at £252, and my mate has just bought a pair of P30 Lites at £155 each  ;)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 06:46:54 AM by Ronski »
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2019, 08:02:22 AM »

I think one point is that whilst iPhone sales may be tailing off, Apple don’t just sell iPhones.

I’ve personally noticed an increase in people with Apple watches.   And it’s not just geeks, it’s people from all walks of society.  In the past week, I can think of...   A Doctor’s receptionist.  The ticket lady in the railway station.  A bartender.   Probably many more, if I’d looked harder.

Then I overheard an interesting conversation, whereby a lady was proclaiming her satisfaction at finally getting an iPad.  Apparently she’d eaten through three or four different Android tablets in as many years, without finding one she really liked, so she’d taken the plunge a year ago and never looked back.

As the same apocalyptic BBC headline itself reveals...
That lifted quarterly revenue to $64bn (£49.6bn), up 2% year-on-year.

And just as I compose this, Apple are getting a slot on Breakfast, with some BBC guy enthusing about their future as a services/streaming etc provider.   :)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2019, 08:39:30 AM »

What's the bets said lady bought cheap Android tablets, there are so many poor ones out there you have to choose carefully.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2019, 08:53:36 AM »

You may be right.   

The only Android phone I ever bought, Samsung Fame, was a mistake.  It was incredibly cheap which is why I bought it, on impulse, but it was substantially useless.  When I moaned about it on these forums the consensus was that I should simply have got a different/better one.  For sure if I’d done some research I could probably have got an Android to match any contemporary iPhone.  And probably cheaper too than my first iPhone, which quickly replaced that Android.

But maybe people are getting fed up with the need to do that research, and fed up with getting caught out by the cheap junk?  Buying from Apple generally costs more but, for most people, greatly reduces these risks.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2019, 09:15:25 AM »

Yes there is that, the very nature of Android means there is some nasty cheap stuff out there and unless you know what your looking for or read reviews it is easy to get caught out (I was in the early days), but I think the quality is getting better, but there will always be crap. This is where Apple do have a huge advantage , one company controls the whole eco system from hardware design to OS development, but they are too greedy and their greed has encouraged  other manufacturers to push up their prices to.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2019, 09:26:38 AM »

Not sure what's wrong with the wording of the article.
The 2 parts you quoted are very different.

There's a huge difference between iPhone sales and shares in Apple.

Apple continue to bleed market share in the smartphone market.
Nothing wrong with reporting on that.

If the BBC didn't add the part about Apple shares increasing at the same time there would be Apple fan boys moaning they are biased or anti Apple.

It's just another company that overcharges for its tat tech and the impartial BBC shouldn't be pandering to idiots.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2019, 09:38:50 AM »

My point was that whilst the main story was fair and accurate, the BBC imho contrived a sensational-looking, almost apocalyptic headline, presumably with the sole aim of drawing in the audience, keeping them on the website. 

There’s nothing new about that tactic.   Tabloid papers have been using it for years to encourage people to buy the paper.   Not sure the modern comparison would be, as all papers are tabloids. ::)

But there was a time when I expected better of BBC.  What would have been wrong with a headline simply reading “Apple Q4 results published”?

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2019, 09:48:06 AM »

Yes there is that, the very nature of Android means there is some nasty cheap stuff out there and unless you know what your looking for or read reviews it is easy to get caught out (I was in the early days), but I think the quality is getting better, but there will always be crap. This is where Apple do have a huge advantage , one company controls the whole eco system from hardware design to OS development, but they are too greedy and their greed has encouraged  other manufacturers to push up their prices to.

Agreed, about the greed.

The one Apple thing that I wish I’d bought, but didn’t, was shares in the company.   I first took a liking to Apple with my first Mac Mini 2009.  If I’d also bought shares at that time, I’d be looking at about an order of magnitude growth.    :'(

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2019, 12:09:22 PM »

the BBC imho contrived a sensational-looking, almost apocalyptic headline, presumably with the sole aim of drawing in the audience, keeping them on the website

just wow...

Apple profits hit by slowing iPhone sales

In what way is that "contrived a sensational-looking, almost apocalyptic headline".

It's 100% accurate.

They balanced the story very well by talking about increasing sales in smart watches, earphones and increased use of Apple Pay.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2019, 12:42:10 PM »

Opinions sometimes differ and I did already qualify my assessment with “imho”.   I can see your point of view too, even if it differs from mine. :)

anything