Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Upgrades for 700,000 BT customers and BT Halo converged services to launch  (Read 3580 times)

gt94sss2

• Kitizen

The big news today for existing BT Consumer customers if you have not already elected to self-upgrade to one of the VDSL2 (FTTC partial fibre) or FTTP (full fibre) products when available is that some 700,000 such customers will be upgraded from their ADSL/ADSL2+ services by June 2020 and at no extra charge, i.e. no increase in monthly fee or any setup cost. Also where FTTC/FTTP is available new customers will not be offered ADSL/ADSL2+ to buy, i.e. a stop sell will be put in place.

This change is one of a number of changes from BT aimed at positioning itself as treating customers both consumer and business fairly and also preparing the way for the changes expected in the next decade which will see a big shift to digital voice and an explosion of connected devices in the home.

BT 5G service to launch on Friday 11th October with BT Plus/Halo customers being the first to upgrade.

BT Plus is upgrading to BT Halo after the success that has seen 1 million customers sign up to a BT Plus package.

BT Halo will be available in November 2019 offering converged high definition voice, broadband, unlimited data at home and on the go, 5G access and unlimited voice.

900 Home Tech experts to help with digital technology in the home and workplace. BT Halo customers will get one free visit as part of their package.

BT brand back on the high street at over 600 stores, both support and sales.

Plan returning call centres to UK and Ireland from overseas will complete early; now January 2020 rather than December 2020. Map shown at press conference indicated Ireland means Northern Ireland.

Regional call routing when you ring support, so you will be connected to an agent in your region if one is available.

Skills for Tomorrow programme, which is a mixture of online and community training for all ages. A key aim being to provide digital skills training for 10 million school children.
New full fibre plans in November (we presume a price restructure and introduction of 500 Mbps and a Gigabit package).

From

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/8559-upgrades-for-700-000-bt-customers-and-bt-halo-converged-services-to-launch

More coverage at

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/10/bt-uk-to-launch-halo-unlimited-5g-and-fixed-broadband-plan.html

« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 01:13:27 PM by gt94sss2 »

j0hn

• Kitizen

Also where FTTC/FTTP is available new customers will not be offered ADSL/ADSL2+ to buy, i.e. a stop sell will be put in place.

Stop sell on ADSL has been in place nearly 3 weeks.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/09/isp-bt-quietly-culls-adsl-based-unlimited-broadband-packages.html
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

gt94sss2

• Kitizen

Yes, I know.

I think the significance of today's announcement is that BT Retail is upgrading all the customers they can to fibre and the growing trend to making 5G tariffs unmetered.

j0hn

• Kitizen

Indeed!
Big news imo.

I was just pointing out additional info to the way Andrew phrases it on his article

new customers will not be offered ADSL/ADSL2+ to buy, i.e. a stop sell will be put in place.

I'm surprised he says will be, it already is.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP

This bit is of interest to people wondering about copper turn off?

"BT will stop selling standard broadband connections on the legacy BT copper network to 90% of the UK".

So circa 10% will probably keep legacy services I assume due to viability of rolling out long runs of fibre to small number of properties, probably locations like where weaver is.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen

Hopefully in that case they'd use long range VDSL, no need for an exchange for that.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

gt94sss2

• Kitizen

This bit is of interest to people wondering about copper turn off?

Different parts of BT. This is by their consumer arm so they can only make decisions based on current fibre availability - and not future rollout plans

I would almost call it a customer retention tool for those who have not updated to faster services already, so they remain happy with BT due to getting a better customer experience.

Of more interest to me is what availablity at DSLAMs will look like after another 700k customers and any impact on crosstalk.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP

It perhaps makes it more likely in ECI areas that a second hauwei cabinet will popup, with adsl customers taking up the remaining vdsl ports to fill up ECI cabinets.

les-70

• Kitizen
Re: Upgrades for 700,000 BT customers and BT Halo converged services to launch
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2020, 01:03:58 PM »

The upgrades in my area seem to be proceeding rapidly over the last week or so.  The result has been 4 drops of about 3Mb/s each on my ECI line. I suspect they are all from properties on my road.  Two of the properties concerned  are known to me and both tried to resist the change as they did not see any need for it.  Both barely use their connections as they were put there by their children to help keep in touch better.  It all seems pointless to me and one more drop of the same size will get me below the current handback threashold- no doubt BT will simply revise that!.

I suspect that in other areas with a lot of minor users of data no one will feel better off and many will be worse off.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2020, 01:47:58 PM »

It all seems rather silly unless this can be done for ALL LLU providers (which obviously this is not, as this is BT only), so that the band-plans can be changed and ADSL completely decommissioned from the exchange.

You'd think there would be push back from Openreach at BT doing this sort of thing.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2020, 02:18:00 PM »

Quite the opposite.

OpenReach put on special offers encouraging ISP's to upgrade customers from ADSL to FTTC.
Many of their offers are aimed at the big ISP's making bulk purchases.

There's nothing stopping Talktalk and Sky doing what BT are doing.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2020, 03:00:21 PM »

The upgrades in my area seem to be proceeding rapidly over the last week or so.  The result has been 4 drops of about 3Mb/s each on my ECI line. I suspect they are all from properties on my road.  Two of the properties concerned  are known to me and both tried to resist the change as they did not see any need for it.  Both barely use their connections as they were put there by their children to help keep in touch better.  It all seems pointless to me and one more drop of the same size will get me below the current handback threashold- no doubt BT will simply revise that!.

I suspect that in other areas with a lot of minor users of data no one will feel better off and many will be worse off.

Sorry, I'm lost. Why would anyone resist a change that doesn't cost them anything and doesn't negatively impact them?

How will many be worse off as a result? If they aren't charging more it's all good. Are people 'resisting' the change simply because it's a change?  :cool:

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2020, 03:20:17 PM »

To be fair there are some corner cases where due to location, ADSL from the exchange can be faster than VDSL from the cabinet, but I'm sure they are few and far between.

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2020, 04:32:17 PM »

Hi

Sorry, I'm lost. Why would anyone resist a change that doesn't cost them anything and doesn't negatively impact them?

How will many be worse off as a result? If they aren't charging more it's all good. Are people 'resisting' the change simply because it's a change?  :cool:

If it ain't broke...

I think some will resist simply because it is a hassle they see no benefit in and find the technology difficult to understand as it is, so will not want to tamper with a working solution.  For example VDSL will likely require a new modem/router then that results in needing devices set up to connect to the new Wi-Fi, and if the initial setup was done by someone else they will need their help again. I can think of at least two elderly neighbours falling into this category and any phone call or communication from their ISP saying they will upgrade them will be treated with the highest suspicion and resistance.

I agree there is no reason to resist the move to VDSL, but we are talking about people and that means it's never that cut and dried.

Regards

Phil

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2020, 04:36:10 PM »

There is certainly no drawback to someone getting the free upgrade so long as the pricing remains consistent with the old adsl service.  The drawback is that those already on FTTC can see quite significant increases in cross-talk and hence speed drops as the migration proceeds.  It really is not good for everyone.  If the openreach aim is to remove their adsl kit from the exchange  I can understand it, otherwise I can't see a benefit.
Pages: [1] 2

anything