Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Any info on Bracknell GFast rollout?  (Read 3395 times)

biohead

• Reg Member
Re: Any info on Bracknell GFast rollout?
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2019, 08:18:59 AM »

So, there has been a slight twist to this story somewhat...

I originally opted for TalkTalk and their FTTC service. For whatever reason, their system won't allow them to add what they call the "Fibre Boost" to my address, which caps me to 40/10 (I'd really benefit from the greater uploads). They have agreed to waive any exit fees, so I went to look for an ISP that could offer it.

Sky are now showing as Ultrafast 1 available for my address, estimating speeds at around 145mbps. The BT DSL checker still shows no availability at all - so I'm not sure where they are pulling this info from. I have ordered, and I shall keep you updated! I'm kind of expecting it to get cancelled at some point, but I'll play it out first!

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2019, 10:41:03 PM »

I think it's probably a quirk of Sky's system. I would be very surprised if it progresses and the install gets booked for install.

If it progresses and the speed is below their estimates they sent you, then you should be fine to just leave.

I think the case here is that it will get cancelled, as you have expected. There is no record of G.fast being possible for your address/line from what I can gather.
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

biohead

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2019, 03:07:15 PM »

So, as suspected install day came around and things didn't go to plan. The install itself actually went ahead, nothing flagged up on the Openreach system beforehand.

The engineer didn't have to do anything in the house, other than swap the Mk4 filter for a gfast one and made sure the modem was powered on and plugged in. He did his bit in the cab, confirmed it was all setup, then waited for the modem to sync. And waited. And waited some more.

In the end he did a pair swap, a port swap but it always resulted in no-sync at the house. After a few hours (!) he called it in and only then was it confirmed it can't be done. Good effort from the engineer, and he was willing to try everything to try and get some life out if it Although I did find out the line length is around 450m, useful to know!

He also commented I was the only one hooked upto that pod at the time - clearly showing what a ludicrous plan it was to install to this cab.

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2019, 03:10:49 PM »

Bummer. Surprised it went ahead. Though it is not really a surprise that it wasn't working as intended - it was only going to be slow in the best case.

At least you know now!
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2020, 12:10:57 AM »

So, as suspected install day came around and things didn't go to plan. The install itself actually went ahead, nothing flagged up on the Openreach system beforehand.

The engineer didn't have to do anything in the house, other than swap the Mk4 filter for a gfast one and made sure the modem was powered on and plugged in. He did his bit in the cab, confirmed it was all setup, then waited for the modem to sync. And waited. And waited some more.

In the end he did a pair swap, a port swap but it always resulted in no-sync at the house. After a few hours (!) he called it in and only then was it confirmed it can't be done. Good effort from the engineer, and he was willing to try everything to try and get some life out if it Although I did find out the line length is around 450m, useful to know!

He also commented I was the only one hooked upto that pod at the time - clearly showing what a ludicrous plan it was to install to this cab.

At first I thought my line length was 250m from FTTC but openreach engineer say my G.fast line length are 297m but I don't understand how could 47m addition because the Fibre cab are very close to my PCP cab (nothing is more than 50m away from each others)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2020, 01:31:12 PM »

At first I thought my line length was 250m from FTTC but openreach engineer say my G.fast line length are 297m but I don't understand how could 47m addition because the Fibre cab are very close to my PCP cab (nothing is more than 50m away from each others)

Especially as G.fast should be shorter as its physically stuck to the PCP vs FTTC where there are the tails to the other cabinet, which sometimes can be quite far apart.

I think its more the nature of how the length is calculated, as I've seen 100m difference on my "calculated" length to the exchange.  Never been told my length to the PCP though, but I know the exact route and estimated from Google Earth its at least 220m.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors
Pages: 1 [2]

anything