Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Internet and voice SIM for old phone  (Read 1116 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Internet and voice SIM for old phone
« on: October 09, 2019, 05:31:40 AM »

I have an old Blackberry Z10 phone - which I love dearly, running the QNX o/s and it can run some Android apps. It’s lacking a working SIM. The payg deal that it was on died - I can’t remember what happened to it.

I’m thinking about getting a low-usage SIM for it. It would be a waste of money unless I go into hospital, when it might come in handy.

I could use the 4G SIM in my iPad and do iMessage and Apple FaceTime To Janet. I used to have an app that allowed me to make voice calls on the iPad to the standard public phone network and that gave me a phone number, I seem to have lost the app but I could perhaps find it again.

Is there a deal for very low-usage users that gives full internet access and phone calls? The AA’s SIMs that I have for my iPad are data only, no voice service I think. They have one real IPv4 routable address and no ipv6 (which is not good).

I looked at AA’s page concerning their SIP2SIM service
    https://www.aa.net.uk/voice-and-mobile/sip2sim/
I’m not sure about how phone numbers are allocated. It sounds like this is not the proper AA IP network, and I doubt you get an AA IPv4 addresses. It says this is O2, so presumably it’s just O2’s random internet access. At £2 per month + VAT that seems ideal for an ultra low usage situation.

I think O2 was at one time dubious regarding coverage around here at one time, not sure if that is still true, but then who cares, seeing as I would be in hospital and could check up on coverage maps.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 05:45:16 AM by Weaver »

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
Re: Internet and voice SIM for old phone
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2019, 11:23:08 PM »

Have a look at the Three Data Reward SIM or the classic PAYG O2 tariff.

Both charge

Calls are 3p a minute.
Texts are 2p.
Data is 1p a MB.

The 3 SIM also comes with 200MB data free each month

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Internet and voice SIM for old phone
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2019, 02:48:28 AM »

Thanks for the tip!

anything