Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: FTTC/P checker  (Read 3932 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
FTTC/P checker
« on: October 08, 2019, 05:18:37 PM »

Just a quick link to find FTTx availability for noobs, or anyone wishing to set up a community partnership, register an interest.

https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: FTTC/P checker
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2019, 09:14:25 PM »

Happy that they use the correct terms FTTC & FTTP rather than the "Superfast fibre" rubbish :)

[vimeo]https://player.vimeo.com/video/327855568[/vimeo]
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2019, 07:21:05 AM »

;D ;D ;D

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2019, 03:28:58 PM »

It mainly for annoying people who live in the countryside :

"Unfortunately, your address isn't part of our current rollout programme."

Imagining OpenReach execs sitting around giggling from their fibre-connected city apartments .....  >:(

Rich44

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2019, 07:56:30 PM »

We live in the countryside & rather surprisingly I found out last week that we're about to get FTTP, work starts on 21st October.

We have FTTC but it was unusable to we cancelled the VDSL & line, was 10Mbps down & 0.2Mbps up but it was just unusable & unreliable. Some neighbouring villages are getting it too altho not all I think it's BDUK related rather than commercial BT rollout.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2019, 09:18:24 AM »

always find it funny BT keep finding attractive female engineers for their website :)

Checker seems broken here, I do the captcha, postcode, get a green tick to say I passed captcha, but no information popping up.

But to chunkers I am in a city and is no openreach plans, its not a city exclusivity thing.  They are rolling out in rural and urban areas, like rich44 confirmed.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2019, 12:59:20 PM »

Checker seems broken here, I do the captcha, postcode, get a green tick to say I passed captcha, but no information popping up.

It’s poorly designed - after you do the captcha press on the magnifying glass and it asks for your specific address.

It’s definitely not a city thing - nothing showing for me in multiple areas of London or in Sheffield where I used to be.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 01:37:55 PM by gt94sss2 »

watcher

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2019, 01:34:09 PM »

I live in a locality that a 7th October press release from Openreach described as one of the 13 remote rural villages and towns in the UK that will be used for "...trials to test a “range of new tools and techniques” for deploying their 1Gbps Fibre-to-the-Premises (FTTP) broadband ISP network". Using the checker allowed me to sign up for news and updates about FTTP (presumably the trials), thanks for that. Let's see what happens...

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2019, 03:09:13 PM »

Very awkward search.

You need to enter postcode, tick I'm not a robot, then click the search icon next to the postcode you entered, then select individual address.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2019, 03:32:08 PM »

FTTP...

We don’t have plans to upgrade your area yet.

That does not surprise me, living in a very small village with long lines from sole cabinet.   But I see the same status for a previous address, which a vast and densely populated 1990s housing estate.  And same again, for Mum&Dad’s old address in Glasgow, walking distance (for the fit) from the city centre. :-\

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2019, 04:19:25 PM »

In line with recent announcements we get following  ;D Which is good news as our estate is DIG.

Faster and more reliable fibre is coming to your area soon.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2019, 06:13:30 PM »

Very awkward search.

You need to enter postcode, tick I'm not a robot, then click the search icon next to the postcode you entered, then select individual address.

thanks works now, yeah isnt well designed.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2019, 06:48:04 PM »

thanks works now, yeah isnt well designed.

It might feel awkward but actually seems logical to me.

The first step is to enter a postcode.    If you don’t know that you are wasting your time, and wasting the server’s time, so it is right to make it clear that it is a fundamental requirement, without which you are doomed.

You then want to select a pulldown address from the postcode, but doing so unimpeded might impose an overhead on the server.   It might also attract bots that just want to build lists of UK addresses for junk mail, so that is the correct point in the sequence to insert the captcha  - after postcode, but before the pulldown list.

Together with the correct technical terms FTTC/FTTP rather than nonsensical “super-fast” or “full fibre”, I get a warm feeling that this thing was designed by engineers.   :)

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2019, 11:21:59 PM »

A more sensible design to me would be to enter postcode then hit search, then be prompted by the captcha.
Alternatively enter postcode, do captcha be presented with addresses.
They could even ask for a captcha before entering the postcode.

It's instinct to me to want to click the search button after entering the postcode and I was threw off by the sequence.

It feels very out of sync to type the postcode, be prevented from clicking the search icon next to it, doing the captcha below, then the search icon appears above.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2019, 02:22:20 AM »

agreed, usually captcha is a last stage thing.
Pages: [1] 2