Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: FTTC/P checker  (Read 3953 times)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: FTTC/P checker
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2019, 12:15:37 AM »

It mainly for annoying people who live in the countryside :

"Unfortunately, your address isn't part of our current rollout programme."

Imagining OpenReach execs sitting around giggling from their fibre-connected city apartments .....  >:(

I don't think they update that site until an area is live TBH.

My cabinet appears to have a G.fast pod recently fitted, my exchange was announced as a Fibre First exchange, but it stills says "no plans for your address".
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2019, 06:21:48 AM »

We're not live, but it does say it's coming for our address.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2019, 06:52:37 AM »

God I wish it didn’t use that captcha thing. I really hate them and sometimes they seem to go round forever. Also I’m not American so sometimes I don’t understand USA speak questions.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2019, 11:41:42 AM »

I played for quite a while with this site, and its various captchas.  The only one I got wrong was 'tick the boxes that contain traffic lights'.

One box showed only the lower half of some poles, with the button boxes for pedestrians.  Might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it was an old fashioned 'pelican' signal with pedestrian lights in among the vehicle signals, rather than a modern 'puffin' with pedestrian lights at elbow level.

So I reasoned "that's a box with a button, not a traffic light", and I left that one unticked.  It seems that was the wrong answer I should have ticked it, but I still feel cheated. >:(

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2019, 12:43:19 PM »

I just had to tick the box to say I wasnt a robot.

My area so far isn't in line to be upgraded.

I would still like to know what is the significance of the lines on the FTTP and FTTC boxes. I've noticed in the past other peoples pictures seem to have them at different lengths. Does it mean anything or is it just randomized to make people think its a progress bar?
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2019, 01:11:33 PM »

I would still like to know what is the significance of the lines on the FTTP and FTTC boxes.

Well spotted, I’d missed that subtlety.   My guess it it’s just a visual cue to emphasise that FTTP is a lot faster than FTTC.

But I wholly approve of the fact that even the FTTP bar has some expansion room.   Might help to destroy the myth that 1Gbps is ‘future proof’ which, of course, it is not.   Once such speeds become widely available, and useful applications are rolled out, a need for even faster speeds will always emerge.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2019, 02:10:07 PM »

I don't think they update that site until an area is live TBH.

My cabinet appears to have a G.fast pod recently fitted, my exchange was announced as a Fibre First exchange, but it stills says "no plans for your address".

Have they actually released a list of exchanges in Sheffield getting Fibre First?

It updates well before it goes live.

In line with recent announcements we get following  ;D Which is good news as our estate is DIG.

His area was announced at the same time as Sheffield and work hasn't even begun.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2019, 06:36:01 PM »

Have they actually released a list of exchanges in Sheffield getting Fibre First?

It updates well before it goes live.

His area was announced at the same time as Sheffield and work hasn't even begun.

Yes, its only Intake for now which AFAIK is the largest exchange in the city.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors
Pages: 1 [2]

anything