Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT Speed Accelerator  (Read 3522 times)

J.Man

• Reg Member
  • When PC's couldnt get any worse there came Vista
BT Speed Accelerator
« on: June 28, 2008, 02:00:42 PM »

Hey all, I just recieved an E-mail thingy from BT about a Speed Booster and I wanted to know does anyone have any idea what it does?? and is it worth me getting seeing as I constantly sync at 8128kbps and getting 6.8Mbps i think it is ??

Before I forget here is the link:
http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=22816&s_intcid=con_intban_btyahoohomepage2_bbaccelerator

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: BT Speed Accelerator
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 03:12:47 PM »

BT Broadband Accelerator - £90

BT Broadband Accelerator In order for us to maximise your broadband speed we will test your existing speed, and see if we can improve your speed by at least 0.5Mb. At this point, if we cannot help you will get your money back.

As a guess they will check the state of your internal phone extension cabling. 
If necessary removing the bell wire and possibly installing an adsl NTE filtered faceplate.  They will do exactly the same stuff we recommend for Low SNR
The only other area they could possibly check is  tweaking the  MTU.. but I dunno if theyd do that.

Gosh - the site gives for free the DIY version of something that BT charges  £90 for!   

and is it worth me getting seeing as I constantly sync at 8128kbps and getting 6.8Mbps i think it is

Nope - 8128 is top sync for a maxdsl connection and 6.8 is around top throughput speed.  The physical limitation of throughput speed is around 7mbps
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

J.Man

• Reg Member
  • When PC's couldnt get any worse there came Vista
Re: BT Speed Accelerator
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 03:27:56 PM »

So no point then, thanks a million Kitz you kept £90 in my wallet  ;D :thumbs:

anything