Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Broadband Complaints from the Media !!  (Read 5074 times)

J.Man

• Reg Member
  • When PC's couldnt get any worse there came Vista
Broadband Complaints from the Media !!
« on: June 03, 2008, 08:10:19 PM »

Does anyone see those complaints in the media about broadband, is it just me or are they really annoying when they say how comes this customer isnt getting  x.00 Mbps. If they would bother to read the contracts says upto 8mbps upto means anywhere between 0-8mbps then they go on creating those speedtesters on the web which are stupidly inaccurate as I used the one on the GadgetShow site i got a speed under 2meg a minute later I used the BTw tester i got about 6569kbps which completly bamboozled me and the truth is they gather up all these results and post them to ISP's and ISP's take a look at them and throw them in the bin as they are totally inaaccurate.

This is from an essay I wrote a couple months back about the masses of people complaining about internet speed you may see another one I wrote about the army weapons which i study in great detail on my days off from the motor developments factory or MDF :P

All comments welcome :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Broadband Complaints from the Media !!
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 09:46:34 PM »

Totally agree and its something that several of us on here have discussed in the past..  Over the past year the media seems to have picked up on the "up to".  Better to educate the public on why they cant get the full 8Mb, and things they can do to improve their chances of getting the best speeds - Sound familiar?

It would be far better if the media picked up on those ISPs who advertise "Unlimited", where unlimited can in reality only mean a few GBs per month before your speeds are throttled to dial up.

As regards to speedtesters - yes indeed - the speedtester used by Computer ACtive in their report wasnt up to the job of recording speeds correctly, but that didnt stop them publishing their findings.

If you notice in this thread today - the speedtester that the BBC is using doesnt seem to be up to scratch either.  It seems rather strange that their speedtester only records 13Mb for my line - yet I can download from usenet at 22Mbps (inc overheads) - and other speedtesters such as TBB give me near as damn it 19Mbps.

------
PS moved from "ISPs" to Tech Chat.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 09:57:46 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 09:34:13 AM »

It seems rather strange that their speedtester only records 13Mb for my line - yet I can download from usenet at 22Mbps (inc overheads) - and other speedtesters such as TBB give me near as damn it 19Mbps.

It doesn't seem at all strange to me as the BBC "tester" is a 10MB file which is WAY too small to be useful. There are other problems with it too which make any results totally load-dependent - ie if their machine is busy then all bets are off.

FWIW I tried it out and got :

3.5Mbps @ 1400
5Mbps @ 1700
13Mbps @ 0130

Total waste of time - like 99.99999999% of all the BBC's "tech" coverage, but what do you expect from a bunch of arts graduates?  ::)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 01:02:29 PM »

>> 10MB file which is WAY too small to be useful

Totally agree - in the other thread you can see the tiny blip that it made on DUMeter when compared to another speedtester. 

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

J.Man

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 03:57:05 PM »

Sorry to continue this banter but did anyone here see BBC News at about 10pm last night they were complaining about the gap in speed of broaband in Cities to Country areas if you follow closely the do contradict themselves. In the country side the ground is usually wet, it rains quite a bit, homes are pretty far apart and water causes interference the distance reduces speeds but still they want to fight it. They say in London the average speed is 5.6Mbps but in the west country its about 3.8Mbps but those are average speeds.

If companies like BBC and The Gadget show would do some research BT put about £3billion a year of profits into R&D but still companies are trying to make propaganda against ISP's.

Sorry if I may sound like I fool but I think this is sort've true  :) 

setecio

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 02:34:25 PM »

It would be interesting to see customer service levels for ISPs responding to a genuine speed problem, eg where availability and distance checkers show 4Mb but the customer is only getting 2Mb at the mastersocket. I wonder which ISPs help and which aren't interested or are they required by law to look into it ?

jabns

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 04:45:22 PM »

Wow I just got 3.3Mbps. The BBC make me laugh  :lol:.

J.Man

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 05:20:23 PM »

I know I was astonished I tried it the day after you posted Jabns the result I got I wanted to laugh but my friends were round, wouldn't want em thinking i'm a techie ;) anyways I got a speed of 99kbps haha and btw came up with 7.0Mbps :) about 6.9mbps difference.

anything