Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Will upgrading Zyxel 8324-B10A firmware scramble passwords?  (Read 1445 times)

ktz392837

• Reg Member
Will upgrading Zyxel 8324-B10A firmware scramble passwords?
« on: October 07, 2019, 05:48:11 PM »

I have read a few posts where upgrading the firmware can sometime scramble the Supervisor passwords that may stop access to some menus like TR69 can anyone advise on whether I am safe on updating from a very old firmware to a custom AAK24 firmware and resetting everything to default if there is an option as I will be reconfiguring from scratch?  Thanks

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: Will upgrading Zyxel 8324-B10A firmware scramble passwords?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2019, 06:21:26 PM »

Updating firmware won't.
Resetting it after might.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

highpriest

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2019, 10:56:50 AM »

Gone through 5 or 6 different firmware upgrades since I got my 8324 (currently running v28) and the supervisor password hasn't been touched. If you don't already know the supervisor password, I don't know if you can still retrieve it using the dumpmdm trick on later firmware releases (Zyxel may have addressed that loophole). So a full reset might not be a good idea.
Zen | Zyxel VMG8324-B10A (with RFC4638 patch) | EdgeRouter PoE | UniFi AP AC Pro + Lite

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2019, 11:07:58 AM »

Thanks I do know the supervisor password it is just the standard fixed one.

Is there a safe way to start configuring from scratch without endangering access?

I will be switching to bridge mode from router mode and want all the settings back to default/cleared.

Thanks

highpriest

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2019, 07:41:52 PM »

Thanks I do know the supervisor password it is just the standard fixed one.

Just checked on my modem and the supervisor password is still visible in clear text in the output of dumpmdm. I haven't performed a factory reset though, so unsure if that makes a difference. I also don't have a spare so it is difficult to tell for sure.

Is there a safe way to start configuring from scratch without endangering access?

The safest way would be to not reset the device and go through each menu section and turn things off like I did.

I will be switching to bridge mode from router mode and want all the settings back to default/cleared.

Unless you've done a massive amount of customisation (things like VLANs and so on) it should be fairly easy to set everything back to default. Not very helpful I know, but I'm out of ideas!
Zen | Zyxel VMG8324-B10A (with RFC4638 patch) | EdgeRouter PoE | UniFi AP AC Pro + Lite

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2019, 08:07:49 PM »

I risked the firmware upgrade and it did change the supervisor password to a random 8 character string so i just used "echo $(cat varcsamu)” to get it back.  Lucky I guess.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2019, 11:54:24 PM »

As I understand it once you change the password it shouldn't mess with it, but left default it obviously does.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors