Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Langan  (Read 1006 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Langan
« on: October 02, 2019, 06:40:57 PM »

Janet hears the stags bellowing at night now; the deer are coming down from the higher ground

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Langan
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2019, 06:48:36 PM »

You have the edge on us, Weaver.

Living out in the sticks (but commuter distance from the capital) we are occasionally awoken at night by sounds (sometimes a little frightening) of unidentified wildlife.  Probably the different sounds that owls make in the main part, such as when being being eaten by a cat.   

But bellowing deer, not yet...  :)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2019, 12:41:12 AM »

I sometimes hear owls. Always used to hear little owls when I was growing up on my parents’ farm.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2019, 10:31:49 AM »

SLM that commuting distance; is it by time you reckon it? For me that would be no more than 90 minutes. You may have more stamina than I had.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2019, 01:45:34 PM »

I've had two periods in my life when I commuted significant distances.

In my 20s, I worked in London and commuted about 40 mins each way by mainline train, then same time again on the underground.   I actually got used to that, it was an opportunity to read the newspaper.  Remember,  passengers could sit down on trains in these days.    It was also nice (at that age!) to enjoy the hustle and bustle of London by day, then return to relative peace and quiet at night.

Towards the end of my career, I found myself commuting 90 minutes each way by car (not to London).   I had my secret cross country route of minor roads that were largely traffic-free, mostly national speed limit, and rather pleasant scenery.  I sometimes enjoyed the drive but even so, it never became 'fun'.  I'd agree, that was about the upper limit of my tolerance.

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2019, 11:34:09 AM »

We get owls where I live in South Wales.

Though many years ago there was a vixen that lived not far away from our street. The noise that made at night you'd swear someone was being murdered.
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2019, 08:53:44 PM »

When I lived in London, I got a squirrel every day, fed him in my garden from a metal sieve in the small ash tree.

Back to na féidh ri langan, I remember, a few years ago, a deer was standing, just frozen, in the field not far from the donkey stable. My lurcher Caileag likes chasing after deer a lot. She stared at it and flicked the switch, the one marked ‘quantum sub-nucleonic drive + turbo : jump-launch" and off she went towards it. Her acceleration was as astonishing as it always was but she simply could not cover the distance; the deer was accelerating up to full burn while Caileag was doing the same. Caileag could outrun our old land rover up hill when trying to get away from the village; she would even overtake it at ~40mph.