Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Openreach Unveil 29 New UK Areas for FTTP  (Read 4526 times)

michty_me

• Reg Member
Openreach Unveil 29 New UK Areas for FTTP
« on: October 02, 2019, 07:47:42 PM »

From an article on ISP review.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/10/openreach-confirm-29-new-uk-areas-for-fttp-gigabit-broadband.html

The following areas have been announced:

Aberdeen
Ayr
Aughton
Bradford
Billericay
Brentwood
Basingstoke
Brighton
Balham
Chorley Wood
Derby
Hatch End
Lichfield
Molesey
Northampton
Newbury
Newcastle (N.I.)
Norwich
Ormskirk
Portrush
Portstewart
Rickmansworth
Royal Tunbridge Wells
Stanecastle
Swindon
Thames Ditton
Tonbridge
Watford
Wickford

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: Openreach Unveil 29 New UK Areas for FTTP
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2019, 08:43:59 PM »

Wow this hurts.

Coventry, Derby, Nottingham, Peterborough.  All in plans they surround Leicester but no Leicester.

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2019, 08:44:59 PM »

I'm wondering if the Aberdeen one will cover Aberdeenshire as I'm about 8 miles from the centre.

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2019, 09:21:59 PM »

Well, they're still working through all the bigger areas of the country.

I think all three major cities in Wales have FTTP now though, so I'm waiting for them to start going through the smaller areas. I'm close to Bridgend, but not on the Bridgend exchange, so will need to wait for it to filter out to the outlier exchanges from there.
Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2019, 09:47:35 PM »

I did have a look on roadworks Scotland and there is a couple weeks work planned by BT/openreach around my exchange later next near.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2019, 10:02:14 PM »

I did have a look on roadworks Scotland and there is a couple weeks work planned by BT/openreach around my exchange later next near.

Wow thats a good site. The roadworks for England now only goes to 2 weeks, unless we pay a fee.

It is good to hear that progress is picking up speed.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2019, 10:21:10 PM »

>> The roadworks for England now only goes to 2 weeks, unless we pay a fee.

That's not the case. You have to register and sign in, but there's no fee to pay.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2020, 10:40:29 PM »

Wow.   Something has changed.  Perhaps a new batch of towns will be officially added to the list soon?

There's been a wee bit of activity in this area, hence me trying to find info on roadworks.org in another thread.
Just a few months ago I didn't think we'd be so near the top of the list.   We're hardly what I'd class as rural and certainly not a large town.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2020, 01:40:18 AM »

There's a fair bit of smaller infill build going on outside the Fibre First areas.

The Think Broadband statistics show a fair amount of premises passed that were neither BDUK, Fibre First or new build.

Hunslet in Leeds for instance isn't listed as an FTTP exchange but has had 3-4000 premises passed and still going.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2020, 01:10:30 PM »

Presumably Fibre First means, aim to do most if not all the exchange area with FTTP.
Infill meaning they cherry-pick specific areas that need improvement but NOT with an aim to do everwhere on that exchange?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2020, 01:37:23 PM »

Infill meaning they cherry-pick specific areas that need improvement but NOT with an aim to do everwhere on that exchange?

I added the bold.

It's more about cost per premises to pass with FTTP and not much to do with areas that need improvement.

Most infill FTTP work is simply cheap and quick to reach, which tends to be urban areas.
These areas usually have at least SuperFast speeds already.

My area is not Fibre First or BDUK work and I'm getting FTTP.
Every single property getting FTTP already has FTTC over 30Mb/s with most nearer 70-80Mb/s.

Every property getting infill FTTP around me has just had Virgin rolled out to the area.
This is more than likely part of the reason for OpenReach doing FTTP, competition.
The fact my area is new and fully ducted makes it much cheaper for OpenReach.

At the end of the day OpenReach is a private company out to make money.
They will continue to roll out to the cheapest/easiest to reach areas.
They will hold off for funding/subsidies for areas that are not commercially profitable which says often areas that actually need improving.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 01:40:05 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2020, 02:58:48 PM »

>> smaller infill build going on outside the Fibre First areas.

That's what was strange, there is no other Full fibre around here.  Definitely not infill.

It's a peninsula with only 2 main roads in.  Where they are laying the cable from is also weird as its doesn't appear to be coming down the road which leads to the head-end exchange, but instead straight down the other road which (eventually) ends up towards the M6.   
If I check addresses near my headend exchange it says "We don’t have plans to upgrade your area yet."
However, the other side of the river (which is rural) - if I check a friends house there, it says "coming soon" for him too.    In fact that particular area is considered so rural you are heading towards B4RNland. 

Totally guessing here, but after checking addresses in various locations, I think we may be picking up on the tail-end for what is a rural deployment.   It may be easier for them to come straight down a main road towards us and across the bridge..  rather than approach it from the other side with miles of nothing and leading to areas already covered by B4RN.  From info available we have been clustered with a couple of other rural area exchanges "coming soon" which only have one 'A' road nearby - the south end of which starts at the bridge and north ends at Lancaster.   
I could be wrong, but thinking about it further and and taking into account those other exchange locations they are covering, then they have to be taking the fibre to those areas across a bridge which wasn't built at the time of the old back-hauls were in place.    There was previously a privately owned rickety toll bridge, but the local authority since built a proper road crossing in the mid 90's.

I thought they may perhaps have put in a node near @g3uiss's exchange but obviously not, as I cant see anything showing for him :/..  so this appears to be  about rural deployment rather than urban. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

displaced

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2020, 03:17:28 PM »

Nice to see Kent getting some love.

Hopefully North Kent will get a look-in soon, particularly in my neck-of-the-woods where Virgin are very popular indeed.
YouFibre 1Gbit, OPNsense on Intel N100.  Ubiquiti UAPs.

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2020, 05:38:01 PM »

Even though Aberdeen has been announced some time back, I'm not really seeing much in the way of work being carried out by Openreach. Still plenty being done by cityfibre.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2020, 05:56:48 PM »

Even though Aberdeen has been announced some time back, I'm not really seeing much in the way of work being carried out by Openreach. Still plenty being done by cityfibre.

Same here in Northampton, seeing absolutely nothing in terms of FTTP from Openreach
Pages: [1] 2