Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Our New Car Connecting To Our Home WiFi Problem  (Read 11686 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Our New Car Connecting To Our Home WiFi Problem
« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2019, 05:46:50 PM »

Hi

@7lm - I believe your router would show zen dns from your router status page - I believe all routers show dns used.

Your iPad in that instance would show the gateway IP address for dns, which in turn as router is preset to use zen, would resolve using zen dns

Many thanks

John

My router shows zen’s DNS on the ‘status’ page.   But on the ‘configuration’ page, DNS is blank.

My iPad has a settings box for ‘Configure DNS’  that simply shows the word ‘Automatic’.   I have to delve deeper, selecting the box saying  ‘automatic’ before I see the actual DNS, which is the address of my router.

Imagine now a dumbed down version of each of those aimed at motorists, not geeks.   I can easily believe the designers might decide not to bother at all presenting DNS.

@ Mike one further thought...   are you sure that your WiFi router is correctly set for Automatic DNS?   An easy say to do so is to delve into the WiFi settings on your iPhone.  If DNS is set to automatic, and the iPhone works, it would confirm the router is probably working ok.

Do not actually modify the iPhones config, just check, to see what it contains.

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2019, 05:57:41 PM »

Hi

@7lm - many thanks. You could be correct but in that case, why show dns at all and gateway details etc...

Sorry not having a go at you sorry and I understand your theory but never seen any device not show network details - even if you cannot change them

iPhone shows auto on dns and shows the dns details. These are mine and both work

Many thanks

John

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2019, 07:06:55 PM »

Curious that your iOS settings has the Google DNS in addition to the local router.   Mine just has the one, which is that of the router.   I’m guessing that’s something in your router config?

I may of course be wrong about DNS displayed on the car.  Hard to believe I know, but just once or twice in my life, I’ve been wrong about other things too.  Maybe even more than once or twice. :D

Main thing is, the dealer has accepted it doesn’t work, and will hopefully be able to make it work.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2019, 08:32:36 PM »

@7lm , As far as I know all my WiFi access points are configured and working well at home / garden, I did put in one of my earlier post that I set up another access point just for the car use with a different Ip range and different DNS but like I said that did not work.

Well what ever the Tech guy tried to re-set from a-far has stopped the 4G, Hotspot, and WiFi,  >:(  so now I need it sorting ASAP.
This Tech guy all he does is electrics / electronics and not mechanical work, I hope to meet him when I take it in, see what his knowledge is like  ;)

On a iPhone you can set the DNS manually and add 8.8.8.8 or ?
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2019, 09:08:21 PM »

It’s certainly a treat these days, to get to meet anybody technical at a franchised dealers.  Make the most of it. :)

There seems to be an assumption that the only thing customers want is complimentary coffee and a pleasant smile from the receptionist.  Most of the people that I know would happily forego the coffee and the smile, if they could have just 2 minutes to talk turkey with the technician/mechanic. :(

These comments are based on experience with Saab, Volvo and VW.   Range Rover, or others, may be different.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2019, 10:05:15 PM »

I first got a big hug from the receptionist at the dealers today  :blush: and yes got the roast coffee and lots of biscuits to dunk  :yum:  Tea later as well because I was there about two hours just having a general chat with some of them.  :D
Well it passed time while I had to wait for my bus.

Spoke to the guy in-charge of the mechanics when I was thinking about buying an Evoque, picked his brain if I could get a full sized spare in the boot (and other things).

I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2019, 01:35:36 PM »

I've just checked in a very nice Evoque thats sat in our yard, and can confirm that I was able to connect to our wifi and then browse the internet.
As per attached picture our DNS settings are shown correctly.

The strange thing is that I could not open settings again, the button registers my finger press but settings never open, I'll try again later but if not someone many miles away will end up with our guest wifi setup on their new Evoque.

Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2019, 03:47:57 PM »

It would indeed, then, appear that I was wrong about DNS display. :-[

But I feel a bit sorry for the person who appears to be trapped inside the console, trying to claw his way out?   :o
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 03:50:18 PM by sevenlayermuddle »

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2019, 07:25:13 PM »

It was indeed a very reflective screen, alas I did escape  ;D

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2019, 10:17:24 AM »

I've just checked in a very nice Evoque thats sat in our yard, and can confirm that I was able to connect to our wifi and then browse the internet.
As per attached picture our DNS settings are shown correctly.

The strange thing is that I could not open settings again, the button registers my finger press but settings never open, I'll try again later but if not someone many miles away will end up with our guest wifi setup on their new Evoque.

Thanks for trying that, it is good to know.
I've got that problem as well with the settings access.  >:( I can set a short cut on my personal touch screen settings and that gets around  that problem , I think the car will remember your password but it would not show your guest set up as it would be out of range (I could be wrong).
Is that one of the jobs your firm does , deliver new cars ?.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 01:59:26 PM by tickmike »

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2019, 08:49:59 PM »

One of our workshop customers is a car transporter firm,  they used to take brand new cars out to Germany regularly, six months to a year later the cars come back. Basically the squaddies get a very nice discount and don't pay any Vat, they have to keep them for six months to a year (not sure on the specifics) and then they can sell them on for a nice profit, as do one or two others in the chain. The sensible ones work their way up to SVR Range Rovers. I tried to get in on it, but it was a bit of a closed club. With the soldiers being pulled out of Germany it's not going to last much longer anyway, in fact its been weeks since the last lot came back, used to be two truck loads (16 cars) a week a few years back.

As for the Evoque it let me into the settings this morning, so I managed to get it to forget our network.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 08:54:22 PM by Ronski »

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2019, 11:25:41 PM »

@Mike,

Just wondering... have you taken the car in yet?   Any resolution?

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2019, 06:40:15 PM »

@Mike,

Just wondering... have you taken the car in yet?   Any resolution?
No Tuesday 5th, What with this and a one inch scratch my wife spotted along one of the doors on handover they are doing plus about six other items it will need more than one day in   :(

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #58 on: November 02, 2019, 10:04:26 PM »

Good luck then. :)

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #59 on: November 07, 2019, 09:05:38 PM »

Well that was a waste of two days. >:D >:D >:D Thanks Inchcape of Derby.
The WiFi Problem has NOT been sorted, they said it now works.
One inch scratch is still there, they said it had been done.
Had problems with the fuel gauge and now it has to go back next week to have the fuel tank out to get to the sensor (what a great design not, old cars you just got access to the tank sensor via the boot).
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

anything