Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Our New Car Connecting To Our Home WiFi Problem  (Read 11694 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Our New Car Connecting To Our Home WiFi Problem
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2019, 10:58:14 PM »

Can't help with any tech issues, but having had our Evoque for approx 1yr now, I can tell you what a fantastic motor you have bought !!!

We love ours more than the kids.  ;D

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2019, 12:14:30 AM »

Yes, wouldn’t blank dns just mean ‘take whatever dns dhcp suggests’? I.e. just do the right thing

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2019, 10:26:15 AM »

Hi tickmike

Sorry I am not convinced you have an AP and Wi-Fi (unless you have 2 Wi-Fi nic)

A simple test from what I understand (which should give a good indicator) is as follows (this is based on you are connecting another device to car AP when car is in Wi-Fi mode - not 4g)

Turn off 4g
Connect Wi-Fi to your Wi-Fi or another Wi-Fi source
Connect your device to car AP
Check the ip connection details

If no dns settings
Edit your device ip settings and allocate the same details but use 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1 for dns (so setting your connection to static) and reconnect back

Check ip connection details are correct as you manually set

Open a browser and confirm if you can browse the Internet

If you can, make sure you have connected to the car AP

If you cannot browse the internet and using a laptop, can you ping the router IP address. If so, can you then ping a any known resolved IP address outside of your network

If you cannot, then it would suggest your Wi-Fi works like all others, and is either an AP or Wi-Fi and not both

Sorry if I am wrong

Many thanks

John

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2019, 02:57:23 PM »

Please Note I have Changed The Main Tittle Of The First Post..

Our New Car Connecting To Our Home WiFi Problems.

I Have Removed The Word 'Hot Spot' as it is confusing matters.  :hmm:

I have four different TTF screens, The touch screen in the central dashboard area is the main one for doing lots of things (I have very few switches in the car  :o)  It also contains a built in Web Browser and like a phone can have many apps etc.
It is also the place where I set up the Car Connecting to our Home WiFi.
Once it has connected to our Home WiFi (with Blank DNS fields)
The cars web browser will not work, Apps will not work, cars software * up-dates will not work or up-dating the Sat-Nav * will not work.
Note All These Work Using The 4G Data.

* = some of the up-dates can be quite large and that's why I wanted to use my unrestricted home internet as to the very Limited 4G data allowance of 500mb per month . :( 

So my conclusion is because those DNS IP are missing it can not do 'reverse look up' and can not get on to the internet from our home WiFi.

I hope to get chance to call in the dealers next week and try connecting some of there cars on to there WiFi to see if it is a general problem or just with my car.

I will do some more tests later when I have cut the grass.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2019, 03:35:52 PM »

Hi tickmike

That makes it simpler

The one test to determine if it is your home Wi-Fi or car Wi-Fi stopping dns is as follows

You need a smartphone

Turn off 4g in car
Turn off hotspot in car
Turn off Wi-Fi in car

Turn on Wi-Fi in car

Turn on mobile phone hotspot

Connect car Wi-Fi to mobile phone hotspot

Test by using a browser

I am not sure though how your seeing your connection details from the car itself as you said you cannot change it

Many thanks

John

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2019, 05:05:20 PM »

Have you tried turning off the cars hotspot prior to connecting the car to your home wi-fi?

We have some Range Rovers coming in next week, not sure on the models, but if any have these features and if I get chance before they are collected I'll have a play.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2019, 05:15:51 PM »

So my conclusion is because those DNS IP are missing it can not do 'reverse look up' and can not get on to the internet from our home WiFi.

I hope to get chance to call in the dealers next week and try connecting some of there cars on to there WiFi to see if it is a general problem or just with my car.

I will do some more tests later when I have cut the grass.

Whilst accepting your assertion that nothing works when connected to WiFi, I remain unconvinced that the blank DNS fields in settings are the cause.  But nor do I have any other suggestions to offer.

Good idea, having a look at some of the dealer’s cars, see if they also have blank DNS when connected to WiFi.

@d2d4j, my understanding is that the car is just like a big smartphone. 

If connected to mobile data, the car provides a local AP for nearby devices, such as passengers’ iPads, to access the internet.

And again like a smartphone, it can also connect to a home WiFi.   The car then  no longer provides an AP, but can use the home WiFi for its own purposes, downloading big updates etc, saving cost on the data plan.

It is the second of these functions, connecting the car to WiFi, that is not working.  I’m sure Mike will tell me if I have got that wrong. :)

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2019, 05:32:43 PM »

Hi

@7lm - many thanks

Our car has 3 10.6’ touch screens, with same functions except we also have full tv (digital and iptv), dvr, dvd-blueray, games console, full Bluetooth, Wi-Fi Wi-Fi-AP, 4g etc... including full tracking and emergency calling to emergency service if car senses sudden deceleration/accident/air bag deployment etc... which uses its own dedicated connection

The dns is required and I believe tickmike is correct, no dns no resolve to any url. All our networks in car give full dns however, we have full access to settings

@ronski - turning off hotspot then connecting to Wi-Fi then turning on hotspot would be the next test. The first has to be if Wi-Fi works

Sorry if I am wrong though, we do not have Range Rover and I installed our full system into our car, complete with 4 cameras for full car cctv/dvr and 2 rear cameras for reversing.

Many thanks

John

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2019, 06:27:17 PM »

You need a smartphone

Turn off 4g in car
Turn off hotspot in car
Turn off Wi-Fi in car

Turn on Wi-Fi in car

Turn on mobile phone hotspot

Connect car Wi-Fi to mobile phone hotspot.

I'd recommend trying this.

Perhaps try with different WiFi security options. The car might not support WPA2-PSK or whatever your home WiFi uses.

Does it still see the home WiFi SSID?
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2019, 09:02:54 PM »

Thanks to my petrol lawn mower deciding not to start I ran out of time to do any more tests today. >:D

Some great things to try, thanks, just to make clear I have been trying with No 4G, No Hot spot turned on.

It shows all local to me SSID's including peoples WiFi printers.

The car system for the Infotainment and connectivity also the Ecall emergency call sos system is
 Land Rover InControl Touch Pro™ infotainment system.

I noticed any type of WiFi security can be used including 'none' which was used when I tried to use the local area BT WiFi Fon.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2019, 09:31:22 PM »

You must be having better weather than us, even thinking about lawn mowing.   We have constant heavy rain since yesterday morning.

Fortunately, in an unplanned burst of enthusiasm, while the sun was still shining late in the afternoon before the rain started, I was overcome by a sudden urge to mow our own lawns.   I’m feeling quite smug about that.    :cool:

Good luck with the car’s WiFi issues, keep us posted. :)

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2019, 10:37:56 PM »

Hi

Many thanks

Sounds like a factory reset is needed but please do not do it. Wait until you have called at garage and let them decide

The only other thing I can think off, if you bought second user/ex demo perhaps it is still registered by vim to another person who has locked the Wi-Fi. It is a known issue with Range Rover/jaguars connectivity platform but one which appears not to fully accepted. However has been shown to be real and the last registered owner could take advantage

Many thanks

John

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2019, 11:21:54 PM »

Let’s not forget in Mike’s post  #13 in this thread, it seemed to be proven that his own WiFi was allocating a valid DHCP address.

That suggests to me that it really is, very nearly, working.   :)

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2019, 09:49:38 AM »

Hi 7lm

Yes, your correct and tickmike always showed the connection was been given dhcp address but without dns settings

Tickmike also pointed out that no access to car nic settings to preset dns or change

I suspect there are additional menus which maybe locked away which may give access to nic settings or perhaps part of the system has become corrupted

That said though, as it is still under warranty, best advice is to let garage resolve (Incase they need to replace the headunit - which would be expensive if not covered under warranty)

Many thanks

John

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2019, 10:39:54 AM »

I would still expect the blank DNS to simply suggest ‘auto’, or as Weaver put it ‘Do the right thing’.

That begs the question of course, why are DNS specific settings displayed, if they cannot be edited?

A thing to bear in mind is that modern cars are sold into many markets, with different software tweaks.  For example, my Volvo (pre daytime running light) has the Volvo traditional ‘always on’ headlamps.   Customers have no control, cannot turn them off, not even if they start pulling fuses.   But the headlamps are actually a software factory setting that can enabled/disabled by tools available only to dealers, supposedly authenticated with Volvo HQ.  This is so that the car can be sold/used both in countries where these lights are a full-time legal requirement, or where they are optional, or even where they are illegal.

Similarly I’d be open minded to the possibility that for some territories, for possibly sinister reasons,  preconfigured DNS might be the norm...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5