Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Our New Car Connecting To Our Home WiFi Problem  (Read 11690 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Our New Car Connecting To Our Home WiFi Problem
« on: October 01, 2019, 11:09:35 PM »

We have a (Brand New, one week old  ;D ) New Range Rover Evoque car.

It has a 4G Sim for the mobile car WiFi and Hot Spot.
But while at home use your own WLAN to connect to the car ( that could be use say for large software up- dates to save using the sim data up ).

Connecting my laptop to the hot spot I could see the cars access point uses a 'Physical interface' of 192.168.0.1 Netmask = 255.255.255.0

Using the cars connectivity settings I connected to our Home outside WiFi ok (turning off the 4G sim first ), put password in and it connected
But.
DNS fields are blank.
So it cannot resolve DNS/IP's and the cars web browser, TV, software up-date's, apps, Sat-Nav , weather forecast etc. do Not work.

The problem my WLAN ( and like a lot of home networks ) is also on a Physical interface of 192.168.0.1
So the cars thinks it's connecting to it's self as it would need DNS of 192.168.0.1 and a gateway of 192.168.0.1

There is no way to manually input the cars IP address's.

My Question is would it be easier to change my home network and WiFi to another Physical interface IP
if so what or does it have to end in 1 ?.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 10:37:25 AM by tickmike »
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: Our New Car Connecting To Our Home WiFi Problem
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2019, 12:05:09 AM »

We have a (one week old  ;D ) New Range Rover Evoque car.

My Question is would it be easier to change my home network and WiFi to another Physical interface IP
if so what or does it have to end in 1 ?.

Can you move the home isp router to 192.168.0.254?

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2019, 06:18:58 AM »

Not related to your question, but I was in a very recent Evoque Dynamic a few weeks ago and was very impressed with the rear view mirror, well it was actually a display with the camera mounted in the roof aerial, it worked brilliantly, but I did wonder what it was like at night. These top of the range cars are certainly getting very technology advanced, and I do wonder how many issues they'll have and just how expensive they'll be to fix when five to ten years old.

Eta. Try as suggested by meritez, but make sure you're routers DHCP table starts at 192.168.0.2, so it can't issue the first address to something else.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 06:23:37 AM by Ronski »
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2019, 07:15:35 AM »

Hi tickmike

Sorry I think your getting confused or I am

I believe you cannot access hotspot when car is using Wi-Fi to external Wi-Fi

If you activate hotspot, it should drop Wi-Fi to mobile connection

You can test this using your mobile phone - if it is a modern phone - so when mobile is connected to your home Wi-Fi - turn on hotspot and you will see it drops the Wi-Fi connection and goes to mobile connection

To test this on car, connect to home Wi-Fi (make sure you have allowed the car on your Wi-Fi fully - ie no Mac filtering etc... ) and do not turn on hotspot from car

Then open a browser and see if you can browse internet from your car stereo

Many thanks but sorry if I am wrong

John

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2019, 07:56:19 AM »

correct.
a hotspot is designed to used mobile data as its source, not wifi.

example, if your phone is connected to wifi and you enable hotspot function on it  you'll see that wifi is turned off.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2019, 08:29:33 AM »

Not related to your question, but I was in a very recent Evoque Dynamic a few weeks ago and was very impressed with the rear view mirror, well it was actually a display with the camera mounted in the roof aerial,

Not sure I like the sound of that.   With a real mirror, you can tilt your head one way or the other to momentarily extend the view.   Unless it’s very clever indeed, I can’t see that working with a Cctv system?

Re Tickmike’s internet problems, my understanding....

When the car is connected to 4G it will be providing a hotspot AP.  The address of that hotspot appears to be 192.168.0.1, which is a very reasonable address.

When the car connects to home WiFi it just becomes a client on that LAN, and will use an address that is allocated by the home router using DHCP (assuming DHCP in use).   The car’s  hotspot AP is out of the equation when on WiFi, so there should be no conflict with the fact the home router uses the same IP address as the hotspot.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2019, 10:16:37 AM »

Not sure I like the sound of that.   With a real mirror, you can tilt your head one way or the other to momentarily extend the view.   Unless it’s very clever indeed, I can’t see that working with a Cctv system?

It was very clear and was also the shape of a rear view mirror so didn't look unusual, also with the position of the camera it also looked correct. If you've ever seen an Evoque or been in one then rear vision is very poor, so this is a vast improvement - I just wonder what it's like at night. Also rear seat passengers don't block the view.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2019, 10:48:30 AM »

if the camera gets dirty or obscured (or even fails) during the journey then you've lost rear visibility though.
with a normal mirror and a rear window with a wiper then you don't have that issue.

does the mirror replacement screen revert to a normal mirror in such cases?

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2019, 12:13:24 PM »

Another problem... when driving along a road, your eyes are focused on long distance.  When you glance in a mirror, there’s no change, still focused on long distance.

But if you glance at a TV screen just a foot or so away, you need to refocus.  Then when you look back in front of you, the road is out of focus until your eyes adjust, which can take a moment or two.

Even worse for people who like myself who wear varifocal glasses.  There are millions of us.  If I look in a normal mirror it’s no problem, as I am focussing on distance, and looking upwards through the area of lens meant for distance.  But if I wanted to focus on a TV screen in the same location, I need to look through the lower part of the lens, meant for closeup stuff.  This would involve tilting my neck back to snapping point, leaving me not only in pain, but with no peripheral vision at all of the road ahead. :o

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2019, 12:26:17 PM »

The Car Can use the 4G sim for all the cars data input needs and used also for the 'Emergency eCall' SOS system if we have a accident.
It can Also supply the cars WiFi Hot Spot and up to 8 gadgets .

But it can Also connect to a External WiFi source, eg either at home or some another free WiFi source or ones you know the password for.

When connected to external source it can then feed the cars data needs and Also feed into the cars hot spot for your gadgets / phones / laptops etc.  ;D

re...Can you move the home isp router to 192.168.0.254? & but make sure you're routers DHCP table starts at 192.168.0.2

You can see from my sig. that I use a hardware fire wall so I could try 192.168.0.254 but start at 192.168.0 20 because some lower IP's are used for other network equipment.

The Evoque is one of the only Small Luxury SUV's that is around with all this Technology (but more to go wrong  :( )
The rear view mirror is an ordinary mirror but at the flick of the switch under it is a very clear rear view from the CCTV camera in the  'Sharks fin' aerial on the roof, at night it is 'Fogged' when you get bright headlights also the (heated) door mirrors dim as well, I like it and I also  wear varifocal glasses.
It has six camera's on it, for parking, 360 degrees view, also 'viewing through the bonnet' I could see what is under the car with the two mounted on the front bumper, camera's in the door mirror's that look down .
Never had any instruction of the 'self parking', in the dark we went for a meal and I let the car park it's self at the hotel, Scary  :)
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2019, 01:25:25 PM »

Sounds very much like the one we had at work, which I had to move on a few occasions, although I much preferred the 550bhp SVR Range Rovers, now they truely are a beast of a car.

With regard to self parking, my 10 year old Tiguan can parallel park, not that I use it but when I've tried it is very weird.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2019, 01:33:58 PM »

Congrats anyway on the car, Mike.   

It’s unlikely I’ll be in the position to buy a new car again but I have done in the past, and you are making me envious.   Enjoy it. :)

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2019, 10:05:24 AM »

Congrats anyway on the car, Mike.   

It’s unlikely I’ll be in the position to buy a new car again but I have done in the past, and you are making me envious.   Enjoy it. :)
Thank you, Not sure if we will have another new one our-self (not at that price)  :(

My wife drove it yesterday evening for the first time, She likes it as much as me, it has an electric handbrake which for both of us is taking some getting used to, the handbrake switch is in an odd place eg near the drivers right knee sort of level.

Our daughter is coming up tonight for a few days and we are going to drop her off on Friday lunch time at Chester Zoo for someones leaving do, then we are carrying on to North Wales the Point of Ayre for a walk, then picking her up on the way back.
A good test for the car.  :)

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2019, 10:18:59 PM »

Had another go at this connection problem.

With the 4G turned off, I had another go at using the External WiFi to connect to the car.

I tried to connect to the BT WiFi-with-Fon (which comes from other peoples internet connection and is a part of there internet agreement ).

With 'connect to an external WiFi' turned on, I touched on the list of WiFi internet SSID's > BTWiFi-with-Fon
It connected OK (does not need a password ) .
Router IP = 100.109.0.1
Ip Address = 100.109.162.242
Subnet mask=255.255.0.0
DNS1 = -.-.-.-
DNS2 = -.-.-.-

Security None.

So with no DNS It is not going to work.

Trying to connect to my WiFi having told it to 'Forget' BTWiFi-with-Fon first.

My WiFi connected ok.

Router IP = 192.168.0.1
IP Adrress = 192.168.0.109
Subnet mask = 255.255.255.0
DNS1 = -.-.-.-
DNS2 = -.-.-.-
Security WPA2

Yet again No DNS.

You can not configure any IP settings on the car touch screen.

Also configured an old WiFi/router to act as an Access point just for the car use, with a  10.10.10.X IP range but it would not even connect to that !. (I could connect to my iPhone, iPad, Laptop ok with that old router / access point).

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2019, 10:52:20 PM »

I would hazard a guess that the blank DNS fields simply mean “use the router’s configured DNS”,   On that assumption, the settings from your own WiFi look promising to me, ie it ought to work.

You could check the router’s DNS settings but if they were wrong, chances are a lot of other devices would not work either.   Are you certain that the problem is DNS-related?

Apols as always, if I am missing something.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5