Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: What's wrong with Norton  (Read 13236 times)

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
Re: What's wrong with Norton
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2008, 10:56:40 AM »

>> viruses/virii

Viruses please! I could give you a lecture on Latin declensions, but I'll spare you that, just so long as you never use that horrible non-word "virii". :)

It's all Greek to me!  ;D

Just to add something here even though I'm not a techy of any denomination, I have had the bought version of AVG8.0 installed and it's far more comprehensive than Norton's which I've had for years.  I will have to get used to AVG because the shop set it up for me, but it seems on the ball so to speak.

A question though...... when I connect to the internet the AVG box comes up re profiles.  Because the shop set it up on their network connection it doesn't recognise mine, I just click on "without profile" but would like to know what to type in the box where it says network.  I'm with Orange, would I just type Orange or something else with it... url etc?  Just wondered if anyone knew about this, hope you don't mind my asking?

Chrissie
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2008, 11:45:54 AM »

I can't help you on that one, Chrissie, but wouldn't a quick phone call to the shop help?

As they set it up they must know what to enter to stop the popup showing every time.

dave

Yorkie

• Kitizen
  • I'm working on my warm and fluffy side
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2008, 05:04:53 PM »

"I could give you a lecture on Latin declensions"

the ointments not working then?  :lol:

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2008, 05:18:44 PM »

:-X

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2008, 06:43:52 PM »

:lol:
  Eric

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2008, 01:21:44 PM »

Anyone using or recommending AVG v8 should read the following :

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06/13/avg_scanner_skews_web_traffic_numbers/

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06/19/avg_linkscanner_and_adwords/

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06/26/avg_disguises_fake_traffic_as_ie6/

AVG are another AV company that have totally lost the plot IMHO. Avoid like the plague for your local sysadmin certainly will be.

Edit - a temporary workaround : http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/02/linkscanner_fake_traffic_temporary_fix/

PS - kitz have you checked your traffic levels recently? I've looked at two sites' traffic logs and I can see the "AVG effect" quite clearly. I wonder how long it'll be before ISPs do the sensible thing and blackhole AVGs IP assignments? There only seem to be three ranges so shutting AVG down should be trivial enough to do.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 07:43:10 AM by rizla »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2008, 12:57:27 AM »

>> kitz have you checked your traffic levels recently?

Hmm  hard to say.. somethings a bit weird but cant quite figure it out.
I have both AWT and webalizer stats running.  AWT doesnt record Bot activity.
Webalizer stats look about right for hits, but bandwidth is out of proportion last month (higher), nor does it tie up with page views or site visits.
When I redid the site it was optimised to reduce bandwidth so in theory bandwidth should be less.

AWTstats makes it even more confusing and shows more bandwidth than recorded on Webalizer - which it shouldnt because Webalizer doesnt or shouldnt include bot activity.   Although looking at the bots its mostly google/slurp/webarchiver and nothing new in there.

The other problem is that individual and unique visitors has gone up..  but this is normal since the site does seem to grow at a steady rate anyhow.

TBH one of the reasons why I pay a bit over the odds for a higher package than i need is so that I dont need to worry about such things.. and allow for growth. I can remember the days when I was doing the equivalent of clockwatching and hoping and praying that I'd be ok. So I can imagine this would cause a lot of grief to some site owners... so yes it will cause some massive problems

The next stage for the site would be dedicated hosting.  When looking around for hosting last time, I was turned down by a couple of hosting companies who said I was too busy for them and would have to pay for their dedicated hosting.
I'm also aware I pay over the odds cause I want UK rather than overseas hosting - but thats my choice because its a UK site... and I hear too many horror stories about lag/delay/routing/service.
Atm I just about manage.. theres times when its been touch and go and a couple people have helped out in the past (they will know who they are)..  but dedicated takes would take it to a whole new ball game.  Yeah I may have the odd hiccup, but theyre on the end of the phone 24/7 to a real person who knows me and the site requirements.. and tickets normally get answered within 10-15 mins.

But I can imagine anyone on a "normal" package could be bricking themselves. 
The site traffic is too much to analyse in depth as per what the guy in the link had done to see where its coming from in detail.  Chris wrote me a reader a while ago after raw log files got too big for notepad, but even the reader dies now.
Sorry if I'm ranting, but I do fear for the small independant sites, through the "inconsideration" of some of the large names and corporations. Ive already had a moan here.
Is is just me or do things in the world seem to be going backwards and everything eventually is going to be dominated by just a few large corporations?  I dont mean just the internet/isps etc.. but everything stores/services/utilities etc erc.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2008, 04:15:19 PM »

Grisoft have finally seen sense and turned off the linkscanner. I suspect that they have lost a LOT of paying customers over this and rightly so.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2008, 04:52:47 PM »

The linkscanner is still there, but AVG Search-Shield component has been modified so that it marks known bad sites only. It now does not scan each search result online for new exploits. Full protection against exploits is still available through the AVG Active Surf-Shield component, that checks pages as they are visited. This will minimize the web traffic when searching on Google, Yahoo! and MSN Live Search.

J.Man

• Reg Member
  • When PC's couldnt get any worse there came Vista
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2008, 10:41:34 PM »

Anyone using or recommending AVG v8 should read the following :

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06/13/avg_scanner_skews_web_traffic_numbers/

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06/19/avg_linkscanner_and_adwords/

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06/26/avg_disguises_fake_traffic_as_ie6/

AVG are another AV company that have totally lost the plot IMHO. Avoid like the plague for your local sysadmin certainly will be.

Edit - a temporary workaround : http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/02/linkscanner_fake_traffic_temporary_fix/

:lol: AVG helping malware and such  :lol: next thing you know Norton will be a good AV and FW  :lol: :lol:

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2008, 06:40:41 AM »

I notice the green tick still appearing on Google when I do a search.  I have the bought version of AVG8 so does this mean that it still scans the websites when I use a browser - Google etc?

Chrissie
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2008, 10:25:06 AM »

Probably it does, chrissie, until you get the appropriate program update.

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2008, 11:38:34 AM »

Vah!

Denuone latine loquebar?

Me ineptum. Interdum modo elabitur.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2008, 03:31:49 AM »

Rofl... I was about to remove that post as spam until I saw it was you Ezzer :P

Of course, me being far too young to have been part of the era where Latin was routinely taught in schools, I must confess to knowing absolutely nothing of the language!! :P
Chris

Accordion

• Reg Member
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2008, 06:40:34 AM »

I still say NOD32 alongside Zone Alarm is the best combination.
I back that up with Spyware Blaster and Windows Defender for realtime protection.

I bought a new laptop two weeks ago (with XP Pro, not Vista) and I'm trying out Avira AV. It has been getting better reviews than either Avast or AVG recently. It keeps suggesting I upgrade to the paid version though. I'll probably install NOD32 on it later.
Pages: 1 [2] 3

anything