Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Apple Watch 1st generation success  (Read 2871 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Apple Watch 1st generation success
« on: October 09, 2019, 08:56:38 AM »

When I tried to pair my new iPhone 11, iOS 13, with my 4 year old Apple Watch 1st generation, it just didn’t work.   The pairing started, but would not progress.   This didn’t surprise me, as nobody had been able to promise me it would work.   Endless web searches failed to find any conclusive evidence that it would work.  Even Apple store staff were decidedly undecided. So actually, I had been bracing myself for failure. :'(

The only thing that bugged me was, my watch was still on WatchOS 3, as that’s all my previous iPhone 5C, iOS 10, could handle.   The watch actually supports the next WatchOS 4, and maybe  that would pair?   Maybe so, but the only way to update the watch is through an iPhone running a compatible iOS, which excluded both my old and new iPhones. :(

But then I had an idea.... other half’s 6S is still on iOS 12.   Like a lifeboat to the rescue, it cheerfully paired with the 6S, also updating the watch to WatchOS 4.   The watch then paired perectly with my new iOS 13 phone. :graduate:

How glad I am, that we tend to hang on for a few weeks before updating iOS.   If other half had allowed her phone to update to iOS 13, the ‘rescue’ would not have been possible. :)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 08:59:06 AM by sevenlayermuddle »

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
Re: Apple Watch 1st generation success
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 02:25:40 PM »

Interesting to note that even the old watches haven't been consigned to the dustbin like most older devices.

I have a 1st gen watch too. Sadly though, no iPhone to go with it... :D
Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2019, 03:32:21 PM »

Enjoying the irony of a 4 year old watch now obsolete.
Some of my (mechanical) watches still working after 50 years.

They don't sync well with my phone either though ... ;D

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2019, 04:30:51 PM »

Fair to point out, my ‘other watch’ is a rather nice Longines, given to me by Mum & Dad just over 20 years ago.  Adjusted for inflation, it cost a bit (not a lot) more than the Apple watch.  In terms of style, the Longines wins hands down.   The crystal seems indestructible - I’m not that careful with it, but it has never picked up the slightest scratch, whereas the Apple watch is undeniably battle scarred.   And I think chances are, the Longines still look good and tell the time in another 20 years. :)

But running costs have been a lot higher on the Longines.   I’m a stickler for originality, so have always replaced the strap with an original part, which (when in everyday use) used to cost circa £50 and last about two years.  Battery replacement service at decent service agent varies, £20-£50, also every two years. Apple watch, in contrast, has had zero running costs. ???

But main difference is I have to admit Siri works better on the Apple Watch.  No matter how loud I shout at it, I can hardly ever get any response at all out of the Longines.  And I’ve never got contactless payments to work on the Longines either, nor get it to open the gates on London Underground.  Nor have I managed to get it to tap me on the wrist to draw attention to incoming messages, nor tell me which platform the next train home departs, or which baggage carousel my airport baggage will arrive at.   Maybe mine was just faulty? ::)

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2019, 05:06:18 PM »

:lol:
Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2019, 12:36:26 PM »

:lol:  :lol:

Ouch at the replacement battery cost.  My mother gets a new battery put in her watch for £1 from the guy on the market.   I take mine to a local jewellers who charge £3-4 as I'm paranoid that the bod on the market won't seal it again properly and as my watch is in water every day I'd rather err on the side of caution.

Thats one of the things that originally deterred me from smart watches as I never take my watch off..  although they do make waterproof models now, you'd still need to take it off to charge each night. 

...  and whilst on that topic .. whilst power consumption won't be much but it does mean it's not zero.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2019, 02:24:11 PM »

Agreed, if you don’t like to remove your watch then a smartwatch is not a good idea.  Later Apple watches are claimed to be waterproof enough for swimming though I’m not sure I like to put that to the test too often.

Apple have made a useful feature of the charging needs, called ‘nightstand’.  Basically, while on charge, it is doubles as a bedside alarm clock.  Nice big digits too, that I can see without glasses.   It’s normally blank but is ‘vibration sensitive’ and wakes up for a few seconds if you tap the bedside table. 

Re energy costs, you’re right, not zero.  But before the Swedish school children start playing truant in protest at my highly irrespobsible environmental footprint, let’s quantify it.   Feel free to check my maths here...

Looking at images of spare parts advertised online, the battery seems to be marked as 200 mAh 3.8V, or 0.76Wh.
It charges once a day. So worst case, if it were completely discharged,  would be is 0.76 x 365 = 277Wh per year.
I believe the consumer cost of electricity is typically around £0.14 per kWh.

Therefore, annual running cost of Apple watch probably around 3.8 new pence per year.   Not nothing, but still beats a traditional quartz watch,  even using bargain market stalls. :)