Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Please help me with stats  (Read 10039 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Please help me with stats
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2019, 08:08:44 PM »

That looks somewhat odd. It's the first time I have seen a SNR plot going to -15 dB.

I'm not sure what is happening. Perhaps other members may have an idea?  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

neil

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2019, 12:25:31 AM »

That looks somewhat odd. It's the first time I have seen a SNR plot going to -15 dB.

and that's only for downstream and that's why DS attainable rate keeps jumping up and down
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 12:28:35 AM by neil »
VDSL FTTC 35/18

neil

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2019, 12:53:09 AM »

ok i attaching more graphs please if you find something odd please tell me
VDSL FTTC 35/18

neil

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2019, 12:56:52 AM »

here more
VDSL FTTC 35/18

neil

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2019, 12:59:05 AM »

more
VDSL FTTC 35/18

neil

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2019, 01:33:16 AM »

i have turned off bitswap and now snrpertone looks normal? i think that was something to do with bitswap?
VDSL FTTC 35/18

neil

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2019, 03:52:08 AM »

all these spikes in QLN are because of cross talk?
and hlog shows my line quality is good?
 @burakkucat
 @kitz
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 03:54:36 AM by neil »
VDSL FTTC 35/18

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2019, 06:38:45 AM »

Spikes like that are much more likely to be due to radio stations transmitted on those frequencies, or something else that transmits or otherwise generates interference on a narrow band around the frequencies of those spikes. Crosstalk does not tend to strongly affect certain isolated frequencies, crosstalk tends to be spread over the whole frequency range.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2019, 08:32:49 AM »

What ejs said. Crosstalk would be across a broad range of DSL frequencies. By design, radio stations and radio-emitting devices use sharply defined narrow frequencies, firstly in order to get as much power as is appropriate into a particular frequency, and secondly so as not to be too greedy with the amount of frequency space (ie width in frequency terms) that they occupy, and so leave some room for other users. The frequency width or ‘bandwidth’ that a transmitter uses is proportional to the speed of transmission, disregarding mathematical tricks aimed at getting more speed, although these have their ultimate limits. So a faster transmission from a transmitting station, all other things being equal, means a wider frequency spike.

I have seen spikes myself which are, I suspect, from searching various websites giving frequency usage lists, to do with kit other than radio stations. Examples of such guesswork: One spike I have seen here might be from equipment at the airport in Tiree - highly speculative, but it is not incredibly far away, around 60 miles. Others could be to do with shipping and meteorological data. I once saw a spike which just possibly might have been associated with fish-finder equipment. But unless it’s one of the well documented radio stations this can be a dubious game.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2019, 10:52:18 AM »

Cross ref with duplicate post

why 2100 to 2800 is empty?

and all these little spikes are because of cross talk?

2100 to 2800 is upstream and possibly not in use?

Those spikes are not typical of crosstalk which usually is more of a shallow bowl effect.  Spikes are usually RFI or EMI type noise.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2019, 11:09:13 AM »

Considering from what I have seen so far in that the graphs can be so variable, then there is a good chance that your connection is suffering from REIN. :/

i have turned off bitswap and now snrpertone looks normal? i think that was something to do with bitswap?

It's not a good idea to turn off bitswap - especially if your line is experiencing noise.
Bitswap allows the modem to reallocate and reuse spare SNR in other tones during periods of noise burst.

It may also be a good idea to let that port rest for a while..   That blip like swing between 28- 32dB on your downstream SNRM band can occur if there has been some sort of power outage/remote disconnect/brown out.   

We usually recommend that you do a full power down of your modem and leave it for a short while before reconnecting.
I suspect that there is still some sort of EMI/RFI causing problems....  but I am also a bit concerned at what effect turning off bitswap could also be having on the line & graphing.    It could possibly be why you don't now have anything showing in the U2 band.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2019, 12:01:45 PM »

The user has something like a 30dB SNRM because their speed cap is so low - I didn't think they had any problem that needed fixing, so there's nothing they need to do.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2019, 02:23:30 AM »

Wasn't bothered that it was at 30dB...  It's that jitter between 28-32 dBm which isn't normal. 
As we dont know how long that has been going on for, I felt it may be wise to completely power cycle the modem and leave it off for a while to 'rest the port' because those oscillationscan happen on some lines after a remote disconnect or power cut

-----

neil

• Reg Member
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2019, 08:29:41 AM »

Wasn't bothered that it was at 30dB...  It's that jitter between 28-32 dBm which isn't normal. 
As we dont know how long that has been going on for, I felt it may be wise to completely power cycle the modem and leave it off for a while to 'rest the port' because those oscillationscan happen on some lines after a remote disconnect or power cut

28-32dBm jitter on SNR or QLN graph? And for how long i need to keep my modem off for port to reset?
VDSL FTTC 35/18

neil

• Reg Member
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2019, 08:35:20 AM »

Considering from what I have seen so far in that the graphs can be so variable, then there is a good chance that your connection is suffering from REIN. :/

It's not a good idea to turn off bitswap - especially if your line is experiencing noise.
Bitswap allows the modem to reallocate and reuse spare SNR in other tones during periods of noise burst.

It may also be a good idea to let that port rest for a while..   That blip like swing between 28- 32dB on your downstream SNRM band can occur if there has been some sort of power outage/remote disconnect/brown out.   

We usually recommend that you do a full power down of your modem and leave it for a short while before reconnecting.
I suspect that there is still some sort of EMI/RFI causing problems....  but I am also a bit concerned at what effect turning off bitswap could also be having on the line & graphing.    It could possibly be why you don't now have anything showing in the U2 band.
i turned off bitswap because i was facing pkt loss all the time now it is every now and then
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 08:37:53 AM by neil »
VDSL FTTC 35/18
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

anything