Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: very strange problem  (Read 1421 times)

dorzb

very strange problem
« on: October 08, 2019, 09:47:57 AM »

My new Talktalk line has been live for quite a few days and it synced at the full speed from the first moment. During the switch, I didn't change anything apart from changing the encapsulation from PPPoE to IPoE on my own Zyxel VMG3925-B10B. The router got an IPv4 address 96.x.x.x and everything worked flawlessly.
This morning I noticed my phone was waiting for wifi to backup whatsapp and then I realised despite my phone was connected to the wifi there's actually no internet on it.

I then tried to open 192.168.1.254 (the IP address of the router) on my phone while it’s connected to the wifi, but I couldn’t open the link.
So I connected a laptop to an Ethernet port and managed to log on to the web portal. Strangely, everything seemed fine, all router lights were green, the system had been up for 55days, the DSL connection showed connected for 5 days with the same IP 96.x.x.x, and the xDSL status remained the same as the day before. But there’s just no internet access. I couldn’t ping google.com or 8.8.8.8.
Didn’t want to reboot the router so I tried something different. I changed  IPv6/IPv4 mode from IPv4 only to IPv6/IPv4 DualStack following kitz’s instructions. (https://kitz.co.uk/routers/zyxel_VMG8324-B10A_vdsl_setup.htm)

Bang! The connection restored after a few seconds with a new IPv4 address 2.x.x.x, and the internet became normal.

This really bugs me. Did I setup something wrong in the first place? I chose IPv4 only because I know TalkTalk don’t support IPv6 yet. And I really can’t understand while everything seemed fine there was just no internet. Could this be another bug of this router? :'(

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: very strange problem
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2019, 04:31:29 PM »

In all honesty, I don't think anyone can say exactly what had happened. It reads like just one of those little mysteries . . .
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2019, 09:31:08 PM »

Your ISP could have dropped the PPP session and the router failed to get a new one.     It can happen periodically.    Years ago PN went through a spell of dropping PPP and some customers complained that their connections weren't coming back up again.  I seen mention of it more recently on Zen but it can happen on other ISPs too.   Not sure of the ins and outs of the TT network, but with BTw based ISPs you can sometimes even end up with a weird BT internal IP.  I think some modems have 'x' attempts to get a new PPP session before giving up.   

Hopefully it is just a one off and can be treated as such.

---
PS -  If it happened to me and I wanted to reconnect without a full modem reboot,  I'd go to the Zyxel GUI
Connection Status >
Status >
WAN Information >
IPv4 Address >  Disconnect/Connect.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 09:35:32 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

dorzb

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2019, 08:01:05 AM »

Your ISP could have dropped the PPP session and the router failed to get a new one.     It can happen periodically.    Years ago PN went through a spell of dropping PPP and some customers complained that their connections weren't coming back up again.  I seen mention of it more recently on Zen but it can happen on other ISPs too.   Not sure of the ins and outs of the TT network, but with BTw based ISPs you can sometimes even end up with a weird BT internal IP.  I think some modems have 'x' attempts to get a new PPP session before giving up.   

---
PS -  If it happened to me and I wanted to reconnect without a full modem reboot,  I'd go to the Zyxel GUI
Connection Status >
Status >
WAN Information >

Thanks kitz, that's a good tip. I'll write it down!

dorzb

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2019, 11:18:32 AM »

---
Connection Status >
Status >
WAN Information >

Hi kitz,
the same problem happened again last night. took your advice to renew the ip and then it worked. no idea why it happened though. the dsl stats never changed.