Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Amazon prime membership scam?  (Read 15042 times)

tiffy

• Kitizen
Re: Amazon prime membership scam?
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2019, 11:59:06 PM »

@SLM

Was just editing an opology to my previous entry when you posted, enough said, back on topic.
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2019, 12:00:31 AM »

:)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2019, 12:18:10 AM »

If I might be forgiven for pulling this thread back on topic, two further media reports...

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/scam-amazon-calls-warning-suffolk-1-6293705

Unfortunately that first link gives me just a pale blue background and nothing more.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2019, 08:02:13 AM »

Unfortunately that first link gives me just a pale blue background and nothing more.

Odd.  I see a page from the Eastern Daily Press, which I assume to be a legitimate regional paper - peppered with ads of course, like all newspapers.  The story told is...

Trading Standards officers have had reports from residents who have received scam calls from a "fraudster pretending to be from Amazon", claiming that "your Amazon Prime subscription is due to expire,"

A post on the Suffolk Trading Standards Facebook page said: "Amazon Scam Calls: Beware of telephone calls being made by fraudster pretending to be from Amazon.

"We've had reports of calls being made from individuals claiming your Amazon Prime subscription is due to expire, and will be automatically taken from your account.

"The recorded message asks you to press 1 to cancel or to speak to an advisor.

"The call then goes through to an individual who 'requires' your personal details.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2019, 09:44:47 AM »

Opens OK for me also, Firefox, Pale Moon or MS Edge on Win 10.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2019, 11:03:18 AM »

If I click on the link (using Pale Moon on Linux) it hangs with a message about a script not completing. If I copy the link and enter it into Konqueror (a Linux/KDE browser), it opens and works normally, but then after closing Konqueror I can't open it again. So there does seem to be something strange about the web page, and it affects different browsers in different ways.
  Eric

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2019, 11:16:41 AM »

I had a amazon super saver arrive on royal mail special delivery once, they delayed dispatch 6 days then sent it pre 1pm next day.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2019, 11:18:56 AM »

Opens OK for me also, Firefox, Pale Moon or MS Edge on Win 10.

loads here, but 24 trackers/advertiser hosts, wow. 98% of the page filtered and it still loaded.  2% content 98% tracking.  Sites that loaded with tracking dont deserve linking to, I will just quote their text instead.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2019, 11:38:32 AM »

loads here, but 24 trackers/advertiser hosts, wow. 98% of the page filtered and it still loaded.  2% content 98% tracking.  Sites that loaded with tracking dont deserve linking to, I will just quote their text instead.

Yes, had not paid much attention to that aspect, my Bit Defender 2020 AV "tracker blocker" which runs on my main browser, Firefox, indicates 19 sites blocked on that URL, one of the worst I've seen on any site.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2019, 05:59:15 PM »

Odd.  I see a page from the Eastern Daily Press, which I assume to be a legitimate regional paper - peppered with ads of course, like all newspapers.  The story told is...

Thank you for quoting the contents of the report. I suspect the non-loading is due to its advert bloated status . . .
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2019, 08:55:28 PM »

Amazon Prime is a scam

For me it's not and I get good use out of it.

Before I signed up to Prime I was paying about half the subscription costs in Amazon postages even though I would wait a few days for non-urgent items so they were free.

With my Prime I get unlimited free next day delivery.  I've ordered an item at 11pm on Sat eve and it was here the next day (Sunday!)  My bro who lives nr the city gets same day delivery.

I also get access to:-
  • Prime TV for movies and box sets.  You have to pay extra for the latest movies but I can usually always find something to watch for free.
  • Prime Music which is streamed to my echo devices
  • Free Kindle books- currently a choice of 2 free pre-release books per month to keep plus free access to their lending library.  (You have to 'return' the book before you can download another).
  • Offers from Amazon pantry - usually free delivery.  Many items supplied by Morrisons.
  • Prime day!!!

There are lots of other things included which I don't use such as Drive storage and Free video games.   
For me it is well worth it and I have saved many times over as I cancelled NOW TV when I got Prime TV, so thats a saving of £96 before I even start on anything else.  The music is used daily.  I always claim my free books and read them although I perhaps don't take full advantage of the lending library.   I use pantry about once a month for heavy shopping items and they often have some really good deals on wines which I would buy anyhow. 
Oh and Prime day...  Love it.  I have saved an awful lot of money on prime day on genuine offers.  The downside is it only happens once a year but if you know you are wanting a specific item its well worth waiting until it comes around. Over the years,   I saved nearly a third on my Hive heating..   I got a shark vacuum cleaner for nearly half price.  A steam generator iron for half price and an additional echo dot for £20.. plus loads of smaller items.

I pay annually as it cheaper anyhow and sometimes they give you another tenner off... so for me the £70 pa has been worth every penny as it more than pays for itself - several times over. 

I suspect it depends on your individual circumstances if it is good value for you for not. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2019, 11:29:34 AM »

I use Amazon Prime like kitz, though I mainly use it because I regularly order a lot of items from Amazon.

The Prime tv and movies are good too.

I've been a prime member for many years.

I just noticed the annual savings, so I just changed to yearly (Thanks kitz  :) ).

I've never had a phone call from Amazon Prime though, so it's probably a scam. In my case they email.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2
Pages: 1 2 [3]