Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Amazon prime membership scam?  (Read 15127 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Amazon prime membership scam?
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2019, 09:00:54 AM »

When they ask you to press a button, does this invoke a call-back to them ? Because then they can (try to) charge you £50-150 for an ultra-high rate chargeable call.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2019, 09:33:42 AM »

When they ask you to press a button, does this invoke a call-back to them ? Because then they can (try to) charge you £50-150 for an ultra-high rate chargeable call.

May be wrong, but I have always believed that to be an *urban myth.  I have often pressed the button to “speak to an advisor” on scam callers, just so I can annoy them, and have never been charged.

*PS: My belief of urban myth applies only to BT landlines.   For Mobiles, and other CPs, I have no opinion to offer, as to whether such fraud is a real risk.

Edit: added PS
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 09:50:02 AM by sevenlayermuddle »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2019, 10:08:32 AM »

It sounds to me like an urban myth - but I thought I would ask. So we think it doesn’t exist. Correct ?

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2019, 02:06:05 PM »

Its not a scam, there is a difference.

But prime benefits are kind of blurry.

They have been told off for the next day delivery as more and more products are no longer next day on prime.
The free delivery is really inclusive delivery, as it isnt free if you have to pay a subscription fee.  The majority of prime items have a price premium over non prime items as well.  So can see how delivery costs are factored in.

What annoys me the most tho is amazon are still so dated on their delivery service, dpd etc. give you a delivery slot.  Even hermes and yodel do now.  With amazon its a 14 hour delivery window, which is ridiculous in 2019.  If you can find something on same day delivery you do at least reduce it to a 4 hour window as it becomes 6-10pm.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2019, 03:31:37 PM »

It sounds to me like an urban myth - but I thought I would ask. So we think it doesn’t exist. Correct ?

I don’t think there is any way a scammer can get cash just by persuading a called party, on a BT land line, to press a button.   That is my belief, and I have often tested that belief by pressing buttons on incoming scam calls, and never cost me a penny.

The reason scammers play a recorded message, inviting the victim to press a button, is simply to save manpower.

BT do the same thing themselves.  We are still on a traditional, quarterly paid, BT landline.    When the bill is (over)due we get an automatic call along the lines of

“This is British Telecom, we need to talk to the account holder.  If you are the account holder, please press button <whatever>”

It is virtually indistinguishable from the 1001 similar calls that are scams, except that one is not a scam. ::)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2019, 03:35:27 PM »

The big problems we have with Amazon are how dreadfully poor things are packed in weak-ass boxes. (oh how the mighty have fallen, they used to have the BEST packing/boxes)

But mostly the subscribe and save items being charged and delivered consistently days early.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2019, 03:52:09 PM »

Back on Amazon, and not specifically Prime, I had to buy some bits for a piece of garden machinery a couple of weeks ago.  Amazon.co.uk had them, but prices were extortionate.

Since the machine is German made, I tried Amazon.de.   There were the bits I wanted, at just under 10 Euros, vs UK £24.   After currency conversion and postage I paid just over £13, a saving of £11.  Nice trick but begs the question, is the .uk site ripping us off on a regular basis?   :o

And in case anybody’s wondering, in both cases the seller was Amazon themselves, rather than a merchant.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2019, 05:21:16 PM »

Can not justify subscription to Amazon Prime and have always refused to be pressured into signing up, to date, I usually submit orders of £20 plus and stick to Amazon direct supply items to take advantage of the free P&P..

However, have noted and previously commented that the delivery time for non prime customers has constantly been increasing, I reside off the mainland but within the UK, from experience, I know that Royal Mail (1st class) small parcel delivery can easily be next day, 3 days max even with 2nd class, virtually all of my Amazon orders are received by Royal Mail, can only conclude that Amazon are deliberately holding back order dispatch trying to exert increasing pressure on customers to sign up to prime.

As an example, I placed an order with Amazon on Saturday, 28/09, value approx. £150, items in stock and directly supplied by Amazon, opted for the usual free delivery, content well within Royal Mail "small parcel" catagory, expected delivery date advised as Wed. 09/10, certainly the worst I have seen to date.

I will certainly be taking my trade elsewhere whenever possible in the future, other options are available !

Edit: Typo correction
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 05:23:25 PM by tiffy »
Vodafone FTTP 200/28, VF THG3000 Hub

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2019, 05:28:49 PM »

I use Amazon Prime Video a lot and the ‘free’ delivery thing helps a bit as we use them very heavily; given that it’s a four hour round trip drive to civilisation, internet shopping is crucial.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2019, 06:00:52 PM »

@Weaver

Yes, I appreciate that your "off the mainland" location is certainly more remote than mine and you are also making use of the other Amazon Prime facilities which are available as well as free (and prompt) delivery, however, I currently have no wish to do so and I refuse to be pressured into subscribing just to receive delivery times to normal expectations for my residential area as achieved by many other supplier I have used.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2019, 06:22:41 PM »

I personally find that delivery times seem to be completely random.   That includes the past couple of weeks with (accidental) Prime... simply random, no better, no worse, than normal.

Best was an item last month....

I excitedly opened the email, “Arriving today”.   It was “out for delivery”.   :)
Five minutes later, another update, “delay due to external factors”  :(
Quickly followed by “cannot deliver, parcel damaged, order will be refunded

I then received confirmation of the refund.   I was gutted, as I’d been looking forwards so much to that item.  I had even enclosed a ‘gift’ note, to myself, from myself, all wasted. I nearly re ordered, but was nearly in tears, as the price had gone up.  :'(

Later that day, it arrived, in a damaged box but intact, with no further explanation. :D

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2019, 11:14:36 PM »

Can not justify subscription to Amazon Prime and have always refused to be pressured into signing up, to date, I usually submit orders of £20 plus and stick to Amazon direct supply items to take advantage of the free P&P..

However, have noted and previously commented that the delivery time for non prime customers has constantly been increasing, I reside off the mainland but within the UK, from experience, I know that Royal Mail (1st class) small parcel delivery can easily be next day, 3 days max even with 2nd class, virtually all of my Amazon orders are received by Royal Mail, can only conclude that Amazon are deliberately holding back order dispatch trying to exert increasing pressure on customers to sign up to prime.

As an example, I placed an order with Amazon on Saturday, 28/09, value approx. £150, items in stock and directly supplied by Amazon, opted for the usual free delivery, content well within Royal Mail "small parcel" catagory, expected delivery date advised as Wed. 09/10, certainly the worst I have seen to date.

I will certainly be taking my trade elsewhere whenever possible in the future, other options are available !

Edit: Typo correction
yes they delay dispatch on super saver easily known as they send email when dispatching, although some people claim quick delivery on super saver, for me they always delay it.

prime delivery can slow now as well.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2019, 11:48:38 PM »

If I might be forgiven for pulling this thread back on topic, two further media reports...

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/scam-amazon-calls-warning-suffolk-1-6293705

https://www.harwichandmanningtreestandard.co.uk/news/17932451.trading-standards-warning-amazon-scam-calls/

All of the media reports are recent, albeit misguided in that there is some daft belief in geographic relevancy.    I would not be surprised if, in coming weeks, this turns into quite a big thing.   

Imho Amazon have brought it upon themselves, and their customers,  by starting the whole ‘Prime’ scam/gimmick in the first place .  They can’t be surprised that less scrupulous crooks are cashing in, and taking it to a whole new level. :(

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2019, 11:49:58 PM »

yes they delay dispatch on super saver easily known as they send email when dispatching, although some people claim quick delivery on super saver, for me they always delay it.

It's the fact that what would appear to be deliberate dispatch delays are increasing all the time, certainly in my experience, I find this really annoying and increases my determination not to be press ganged into a Prime subscription and do my best to source my requirements elsewhere even if that involves greater cost and incurs what I would consider to be fair & reasonable P&P charges. 

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2019, 11:53:48 PM »

Thanks Tiffy, but as I started this thread, I really do think it might be time to get back on topic?   :)

If I might be forgiven for pulling this thread back on topic, two further media reports...

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/scam-amazon-calls-warning-suffolk-1-6293705

https://www.harwichandmanningtreestandard.co.uk/news/17932451.trading-standards-warning-amazon-scam-calls/

All of the media reports are recent, albeit misguided in that there is some daft belief in geographic relevancy.    I would not be surprised if, in coming weeks, this turns into quite a big thing.   

Imho Amazon have brought it upon themselves, and their customers,  by starting the whole ‘Prime’ scam/gimmick in the first place .  They can’t be surprised that less scrupulous crooks are cashing in, and taking it to a whole new level. :(
Pages: 1 [2] 3