Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: External Hard Drives.  (Read 3107 times)

Peter

• Reg Member
  • My Country needed me????
External Hard Drives.
« on: September 26, 2019, 04:05:02 PM »

Hi all,

After loosing some of my photos folders possible due to Win 10 updates ? I've decided to by a portable external hard drive just for my photos, my question is would a 1TB be sufficient, or do I need to go for 2 TB?
I know this will depend on the amount of photography I do of course so any advice would be appreciated.

regards,
Peter

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
Re: External Hard Drives.
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2019, 05:50:47 PM »

Has this happened recently, as I'd be surprised if an update has done this. There was an issue with a Win 10 update a while ago, but that wiped out all personal files and was quickly fixed.
Are you sure the folders haven't been just accidentally moved to another location on the disk? It's very easy to drag one folder into another without perhaps realising.
Saying that, you definitely need a backup of some sort as any storage can fail and loose irreplaceable items.
For the amount of photography I do, holidays, family snaps etc, 1TB is more than adequate.
Remember also that you should always have at least two copies of anything valuable as backups can fail too.
I go further and always have my photos on three devices - a PC and two backup drives stored in different places.
 :)

BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2019, 07:22:03 PM »

Not sure whether these photos are sourced from a digital camera, or a phone?

If from a camera, the sensor is probably between 5-20 Megapixels.   Simply put, that translates to raw files that are maybe 10-30 Mbytes.   Most ‘consumer’ cameras don’t save the raw files, they only save .jpg files, which might be around 8-10MB  for a 20 Megapixel camera.   Worst case is the few (like me) who save both the raw and the .jpg, so let’s say, 50MB per photo.

Based on that, if my decimal points are accurate, a 1TB disc might be expected to store at least around 20,000 photos.  That really is a pretty extreme ‘worst case’ unless you are a professional ‘paparazzi’ photographer.     But based  on that, you can decide whether 1TB is sufficient?

If from a phone, same calculations apply, except raw images are rarely saved, so the ‘worst case’ is probably much less worse.

Re more secure storage for photos , have you considered cloud storage, eg Apple’s iCloud, or whatever is the Google equivalent?   If you are a film star, head of state, or other celebrity, that might be a bad idea as a million hackers will focus their efforts on hacking your account, and one will get lucky.   Otherwise, pretty safe, imho.

Peter

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2019, 10:50:51 PM »

Wow, thanks all, I'm not a star or celebrity, but I've been 'appointed 'official photographer for an 'elderly persons group I attend and take photos there, also I am in a walking group who also take photos, rarely use mobile phone camera  for either of these, so I think I'll opt for the 1 TB option.
I do appreciate all the advice you people offer it really does help us oldies!

regards all

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2019, 08:54:05 AM »

One thing worth looking at is Google Photos using the "High Quality" option, which offers unlimited storage if your photos are 16 megapixels or less.  If your photos are bigger then Google resizes them down to 16mp, but of course that means it's not a back up of the actual original.  Iphones (and presumably Android) can be set to upload to Google automatically.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2019, 09:02:19 AM »

I use the Flickr Pro option that saves high quality files - full originals - if you want to. My wife uses Apple iCloud storage so everything is permanently backed up.

I wouldn’t recommend external storage drives. Can still have problems with the physical drive and fire and theft. Mechanical / magnetic drives are unspeakably horrible, and flash drives are a good choice as long as you don’t wear them out by constant rewriting, but flash can be stolen or destroyed.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2019, 09:34:09 AM »

I use the Flickr Pro option that saves high quality files - full originals - if you want to. My wife uses Apple iCloud storage so everything is permanently backed up.

I wouldn’t recommend external storage drives. Can still have problems with the physical drive and fire and theft. Mechanical / magnetic drives are unspeakably horrible, and flash drives are a good choice as long as you don’t wear them out by constant rewriting, but flash can be stolen or destroyed.

@Weaver,
My concern with relying on online option, Google etc, is that such companies can change their offering at short notice and could also go out of business which would result in the loss of all of your data. This is pretty unlikely with a large company, but certainly not impossible (Thomas Cook.....). The privacy of my data is also a concern with using an online option.
I do understand what you are saying with respect to physical devices, which is why all of my precious data is always on at least three devices at any time - master and two backups. I also believe that you are actually more likely to be able to get data back from a failed mechanical device than from a solid state one, but opinions do differ on this.
I appreciate that I am probably being rather old-fashioned about this, but I know I'm not the only one that feels the way I do.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2019, 10:15:28 AM »

Tubaman, I agree.

Still on the photography theme, I purchased a version of Adobe lightroom a few years ago.   It is a fantastic product and  I’d happily pay for a new version every few years.  But these days, Lightroom is only available on an annual subscription basis.  The subscription prices are not all that bad, considering what you are getting in terms of product, inclusive of 1TB cloud storage.

But I’m refusing to do so thus far, mainly because I fear the prices may go up in future, and Lightroom is one of these products one can easily become dependent upon.   Especially if one actually uses the cloud storage.

Meanwhile, I’m probably going to have to set up my iMac to be dual bootable to an older version of macOS, as Adobe have contrived for my version to be incompatible with latest OS versions.  You have to credit them, cunning tactics. :(

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2019, 10:19:08 AM »

I have WHS2011 with drive extender installed, so I can set various files/folders to be duplicated, on different drives, that takes care local backup and if a single drive failed.

I used to have external drives I backed up to and stored at my brothers, but I was lucky if I actually remembered to do it once a year, so I switched to using Crash Plan backup, but then they did away with the cheap plan. I now have a Synolgy Nas at my brothers which my WHS2011 automatically backs up to.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2019, 10:34:00 AM »

@slm,
Many companies now seem to be moving away from physical software (ie you buy the disk or download it) and going for subscription based products, and I believe this is exactly because it locks you in to their product. It also provides them with a constant revenue stream. The locking you in part is especially true when it comes with cloud based storage, as they know people won't want to have to move all of their data if they go for a different offering.
It's not a model I like at all, but seems hard to get away from now.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2019, 10:48:37 AM »

I think it's good advice not to rely on a single backup mechanism.  My ideal, which I don't yet have fully in place, is online automatic backup supplemented by offline backup to removable drive. 

One concern is ransomware, if you are hit then that can potentially take out any sort of network data replication, and I am not sure that automatic online would be immune either.  Current versions seem to all change the file names, so an online system that retains versions and deleted files should be OK as the  encrypted and renamed files wouldn't replace the unencrypted originals.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2019, 11:45:00 AM »

I configure my back up server to ‘pull’ the data from the vulnerable PCs, rather than the PC’s writing it.   This allows the backup server and the PCs to be configured with readonly access to one another, which I think offers a small degree of protection against ransomware attacks.

One strategy on my own “to do” list, is to think about building such a backup server that can live in our garage, connected by WiFi.  The garage is detached, so might survive if the main house burned down.   I’d not want anything mechanical in such a damp and dusty environment, but a small fanless and diskless PC (perhaps a Pi), saving the data to a big USB stick, would be one option.

This would probably increase my vulnerability to data theft, as burglars might find the garage easier to break in to.  But in my case, my biggest worry is loss of data, rather than theft.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2019, 01:48:11 PM »

The software on the NAS has file versioning, so in the case of ransom ware even if the encrypted file is uploaded, previous versions will be available. That's the theory anyway.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Peter

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2019, 02:47:23 PM »

Well You have certainly given me much food for thought and excellent advise, I already have an en external drive with my docs photos etc; on, but I don't often remember to back up as often as I should.
My meagre pension won't allow me to pay extra for cloud storage so I think I'll go for the 1TB external drive just to sore my photos, many of my photos are also stored on flash drives for the various groups I am in so that gives three back ups for the photos.

very many thanks folks you have helped this old fellah no end.

Regards,

Peter

Postal

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2019, 04:09:09 PM »

My meagre pension won't allow me to pay extra for cloud storage so I think I'll go for the 1TB external drive just to sore my photos.

Depending on the resolution of your photos, you may be able to store them all free online on Google Photos (https://www.google.com/photos/about/).
Pages: [1] 2

anything