Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Chinese electronics failure modes  (Read 1035 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Chinese electronics failure modes
« on: September 23, 2019, 11:00:30 AM »

Maybe of interest, apols if not...

I have a couple of wireless thermometers, purchased about 4 years apart, but otherwise identical.  They display indoor temperature from an internal sensor, and outdoor temperature via a radio link from a remote sensor.  One hadn't been showing the outdoor temperature for a while, and this morning I got around to investigating the problem.

It came apart nicely, just four small screws.   Inside, I found a large pcb, obviously the main logic board, and a smaller board containing a crystal and some other bits, presumably the RF receiver.   The smaller board was held in place by just a big dod of gloopy adhesive.   Running beneath that board was a blue wire navigating its way around the interior.   On cutting the adhesive and lifting the small board, lo and behold a solder tail had punctured the insulation of said blue wire.  With puncture removed, normal operation resumed.   :graduate:

Of interest, upon disassembling the later version, the blue wire had been rerouted around the exterior of the board, rather than underneath it.  In the one that broke, the blue wire was thus about 1cm shorter.  I'm sure if there were enough decimal places in the world, we could work out that it actually saved some fraction of a percent on manufacturing costs. :-X

I have seen this failure mode before, where a wire has been punctured or fractured owing to poor routing.  Last time was somewhat more worrying, a plug-in automatic night light.  With a bit more juice available from the mains transformer, that one had actually caused a proper little bonfire inside before a fuse blew. :o
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 11:08:23 AM by sevenlayermuddle »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: Chinese electronics failure modes
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2019, 11:50:59 PM »

That reminds me, I have a Maplin clock that has indoor/outdoor temps but its stopped receiving the outdoor temp even though the outdoor units LED still flashes implying its sending it.

The signal strength has always been really poor, I wonder if its a similar problem?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Chinese electronics failure modes
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2019, 12:10:20 AM »

Doesn’t sound all that likely.   Mine was a solder tail (spike of solder) that gradually, over years, with thermal expansion and contraction, has dug progressively deeper into the insulation of that wire.    But until the moment the solder tail actually made contact with the conductor within the wire all was perfect.   Then, once  contact was made, it completely stopped working.   In essence, it was all or nothing.

Poor signal strength is more likely to be, as the wording implies, a poor signal.  Try moving things around, to find a location with a better transmission path.  Or (sorry, stating the obvious) make sure the outdoor sender’s battery hasn’t gone flat?

anything