Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: FTTP & existing ducts  (Read 7672 times)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: FTTP & existing ducts
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2019, 06:16:56 AM »

So the same as what VM do, hopefully in our case they have the sense to put it next to VMs Tobi.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2019, 09:19:36 AM »

Something called 'Speed tubing' will be deployed .... ie: a multi-tube affair that will 'drop off' a tube outside each premises passed to a tobi box.  :)
BS, I'm guessing there will also be  tubing from PCP too in ground?
Tobi box?

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2019, 06:08:08 PM »

BS, I'm guessing there will also be  tubing from PCP too in ground?
Tobi box?

Hmmm ?? Not quite sure here Ren ..... FTTP from the Cab would currently (as I understand it), only be deployed on a cost basis, ie: a shortage of fibres from the head-end ??

The tubing would normally be used from splitter nodes/CBT's (beyond the main Agg node in other words) .... so I would guess that speed-tubing from the Cab to be in the very low percentages, if at all ??  :)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2019, 07:19:55 PM »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2019, 07:37:52 PM »

Whoops, sorry .... missed the TB question at the end.  :-[

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2019, 08:57:13 PM »

Thanks for answers. I'm still confused; where ever the fibre originates, in areas that have no overhead infrastructure nor ducting won't there be a need of something to carry it, new ducts, or poles?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2019, 10:03:10 PM »

. . . in areas that have no overhead infrastructure nor ducting won't there be a need of something to carry it, new ducts, or poles?

Yes, that is correct.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2019, 10:34:20 PM »

Thanks for answers. I'm still confused; where ever the fibre originates, in areas that have no overhead infrastructure nor ducting won't there be a need of something to carry it, new ducts, or poles?

Yes, that is correct.

Hmmm, I am also still learning.   Given that fibre is replacing a subset of copper phone lines, all of which already relied on poles or ducting, how can there be any areas that will receive fibre, that do not already have either existing poles or existing ducting?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2019, 11:14:35 PM »

Hmmm, I am also still learning.   Given that fibre is replacing a subset of copper phone lines, all of which already relied on poles or ducting, how can there be any areas that will receive fibre, that do not already have either existing poles or existing ducting?

Those areas, like that in which renluop's abode is situated, where the current telephony cables are directly buried in the ground.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2019, 11:41:36 PM »

Those areas, like that in which renluop's abode is situated, where the current telephony cables are directly buried in the ground.

Thanks, I did not know that these cables might be buried without ducting. :)

Harping back to my opening post though, whilst I am grateful for all contributions to this thread, I’m feeling slightly overwhelmed by jargon.  I have existing ducts under my lawn (c150-200ft) serving myself and neighbours and I’m still not entirely clear as to the circumstances that ducting might need to be dig up, or what upheaval that might incur,    Or, heaven forbid, whether the ducts might be replaced by poles. :-\

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2019, 12:03:22 AM »

I have existing ducts under my lawn (c150-200ft) serving myself and neighbours and I’m still not entirely clear as to the circumstances that ducting might need to be dig up, or what upheaval that might incur,    Or, heaven forbid, whether the ducts might be replaced by poles. :-\

As I understand things, those ducts are just a convenience for the local D-side cabling. I very much doubt that they are stuffed full of metallic cables and would hazard a guess that there is sufficient space to install a sub-duct that would carry optical fibres.

Why worry about the future? Wait until the future is "now".  :)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2019, 12:22:09 AM »

Many thanks.

As to “why worry about the future?”.  It is because the existing wayleave agreement, signed many years ago, is unbounded by time.   

If the need arises to oppose BT, or their contractors, intent upon disturbing my abode, by giving the matter advanced consideration, I might be better placed to oppose their actions before any harm is done. :)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2019, 06:13:25 AM »

Our estate built in the seventies is also DIG, which is short for direct in ground. So not only did someone think aluminium was a good cost saving, they also thought doing away with the ducts was a good way to save money. Oh how those two ideas have cost them over the years because of a short sighted penny pincher.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2019, 10:05:28 AM »

A real mixture here in my town, there are ducts, poles, other utilities' poles, DIG, some times  different in the same road.

OT about a month ago something clouted the PCP and the Huawei companion near my daughter's house, knocking them cockeyed. They're being reseated now. I was surprised that service kept going as usual throughout.

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2019, 02:21:54 PM »

Our estate built in the seventies is also DIG, which is short for direct in ground. So not only did someone think aluminium was a good cost saving, they also thought doing away with the ducts was a good way to save money. Oh how those two ideas have cost them over the years because of a short sighted penny pincher.

BT are extremely well practiced at spending £10 to save a fiver!!
Pages: 1 [2]

anything