Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: AA modern era deals revisited  (Read 1514 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
AA modern era deals revisited
« on: October 13, 2019, 02:28:09 AM »

I’m thinking once again about investigating one of the modern Andrews and Arnold flat-rate deals as opposed to the units tariff which I am on now. Janet has been racking up a lot of daytime usage watching Sky News recently in the daytime of weekdays and this means it’s getting expensive.

I don’t understand how things would work with multiple bonded lines though. As things are I only pay a small amount for each copper line and only pay once for usage. I wish things were like that with the new deals, where you could just pick a usage quota and then say how many lines you want and add the latter on. I have no idea how to work out what the costs would be so I’m throwing that problem to my financial director - Mrs Weaver.

I think some of our AA users may have more than one line, but more than two?

(I’m glad I got an extra line in summer 2018, given how rough things were in August-September, and then there was the lightning strike last week. Janet still managed to keep on working uninterrupted.)

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: AA modern era deals revisited
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2019, 02:36:24 AM »

https://www.aa.net.uk/broadband/home1/

It is possible to have multiple Home::1 lines on the same login. Each must have a monthly quota which can be changed independently. The lines can be used to bond uplink and downlink, or can be used as a fall-back arrangement. If a line runs out of quota then there is a balancing process for the quota remaining on the other lines. Only once all of the quota on all of the broadband lines at the site has run out does the normal action for auto-top-up take place.

So £35 for 200GB or £45 for 2TB on each line (including line rental/copper pair).
You can have  2 x 200GB and 1 x 2TB and it would balance out what's remaining between all 3 lines once quota is consumed on the 200GB lines.

Quota for individual lines can be changed monthly up or down.

Half of all unused quota is rolled over, though not sure how this works with bonded lines.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 02:44:37 AM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2019, 02:45:35 AM »

So maybe it is worth looking into this further, but into one of the businessy deals, maybe. If the numbers are sensible I would need to make sure that I do not lose my existing IPv4 block plus various other IP ranges.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2019, 05:26:20 AM »

aaisp allow you to share quotas between lines so you could e.g. have one line with a higher quota and the rest with low quotas and then share quota between them to reduce cost.

I think you might need the soho package tho to keep your higher priority repairs (not sure).

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2019, 11:32:16 AM »

I'm wondering if you could keep three of the lines on the current units based tariff with zero units and have one on Home::1 (or SoHo::1) with the total usage you require.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530