Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Wi-Fi into the garden  (Read 6947 times)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: Wi-Fi into the garden
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2020, 10:38:15 PM »

Like DSL, a WiFi SSID existing is not a good measure of crosstalk, as you have no idea how much its actually being utilised.

As 5Ghz uptake has increased, my 2.4Ghz performance has started to increase again.  Once WiFi 6 becomes popular it should get even better, as even if that might move people back onto 2.4Ghz, they will hopefully be on TDMA so FINALLY the different networks have to give each other a fair time slot, no more crosstalk (in theory).

I've been using WiFi since 802.11b, long before anyone else on the street had it.  Even WITH tons of crosstalk, WiFi 5 works better than 802.11b ever did.  Though I'm finding 802.11g still works quite well, I broadcast one off pfSense for my IoT devices that only need Internet access not LAN .
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 10:43:19 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2020, 11:49:44 PM »

Withe 802.11n you can have an ordered CTS/RTS type system where stations ask for permission to speak, so no collisions. This is optional and is the way to go if you have a hidden station problem because of the locations of your stations. More overhead, but after subtracting the overhead you get 100% efficiency as opposed to about 60% max if with collisions and heavy load, iirc.

That’s vaguely like token ring and TDMA in that all are organised, in one way or another.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 12:57:14 PM by Weaver »

benji09

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2020, 11:36:33 PM »

Having read the following posts Weaver, I assume that your worry about the new neighbour was to do with broadband crosstalk not WiFi. If so I can see why you, in your situation, would be concerned. Just hope that when they order broadband they don't copy your idea of using multiple lines.............
  I must say I thought it very odd that you, happily living in middle of nowhere, would be worrying about WiFi network congestion!

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2020, 03:06:08 AM »

No I was worried about Wi-Fi - this will be the new exception to the ‘middle of nowhere’ as it will only be 100m or so away. I’m hopeless at measuring distances.

As for DSL crosstalk, the whole village - more than a dozen dwellings - lies in that cable bundle and more new houses are getting built all the time. The crosstalk in the bundle is what it is. The downstream noise levels seem to be excellent and in fact have improved a lot recently, as discussed in recent threads. Getting downstream sync 3.1Mbps  now which is superb imho.

benji09

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2020, 10:45:55 AM »

OK fine on the broadband, I can only hope that my comments about my experience were  of help tp you. But as admitted before I am not I.T. trained. Lines and customer external networks were my thing. I know that external aerials were mentioned in one of the replies which obviously would then be a good way to go. But of course that involves getting through your stone walls. I mentioned to you ages ago about a man in Scotland having broadband issues who came up with a WiFi solution. The article was called `Diary of a Broadband Not Spot- Final Chapter'. Sorry can't cut a paste the link into my reply...........
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 08:51:28 PM by benji09 »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2020, 01:17:19 PM »

I suppose another thing is, once you start thinking about putting things outside, is there no potential for a directional antenna to a cell tower to try and improve the broadband in general?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

benji09

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2020, 09:44:26 PM »

The other point is, if Weaver could not manage a high gain aerial on his house, he might be able  to put one up on his out building perhaps?? Even doing that would mean any gain that was provided by the aerial would obviously apply to both directions of transmission. Unlike most of us, the RX part of his router is not being flattened by 12 high strength WiFi signals, plus out of band signals from elsewhere. 
  At one point we had thoughts of moving to Cornwall. Then I had a medical problem whilst on holiday. I was directed to go to the A and E at a hospital in Truro. Only I can drive, and my wife was stuck in the car with the dog for 4 hours whilst I waited in the hospital. That rather put us off the idea of getting away from it all.  Mind you, with the hospitals now only carrying out certain treatments, and the shutting A and E at certain hospitals, it has become as bad now where we live.

benji09

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2020, 05:12:59 PM »

Well Weaver going right back and re-reading your original post, I would think the easiest means of WiFi is a separate 2.4Ghz channel to the shed from the upstairs window. Think there are quite a few external aerials that can be plugged into a suitable equipped router at the shed end. If a separate router is used at the house end to deal with the different channel required, any problems due to the distance, and error correction would not affect the remaining WiFi set up. Also you have not got giga fast broadband, so unless you are sending files between computers, I can't see the need for fast WiFi. Therefore you have the full 13 channels to play with. So finding a free channel when your neighbour moves in, should still not be too much of a problem I would have thought. If the distance to the shed is too great, as I suggested in my last post, a high gain aerial at the shed would sort the problem. As I previously said, the resulting WiFi congestion that you would be suffering can't be worse than exists at my home. Also, I if my understanding of WiFi is correct, the actual traffic passing over your WiFi would quite low anyway, as there are only the two humans in your home normally, so any channels would barely be actually sending much when in idle mode, so interference between channels would not be a problem...........?

« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 08:50:00 PM by benji09 »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2020, 02:19:42 AM »

They say its 13 channels, but its basically three.  That's why its such a PITA.

You make a good point though, even a heavily contended 2.4Ghz should be well above the broadband speed.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2020, 02:01:43 PM »

I'd suggest using a point to point link with something like the Mikrotik "Wireless Wire" or other short range solution that's outside the 2.4 and 5GHz ranges altogether.  Then connect to a separate AP in the building.   We did something similar not long ago for a church to get coverage into the nearby church hall.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2020, 04:25:51 PM »

I'd suggest using a point to point link with something like the Mikrotik "Wireless Wire" or other short range solution that's outside the 2.4 and 5GHz ranges altogether.  Then connect to a separate AP in the building.   We did something similar not long ago for a church to get coverage into the nearby church hall.

Oh now THAT'S an interesting device.

benji09

• Reg Member
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2020, 10:10:05 PM »

Yes I stand corrected, The situation is even worse than I thought. The additional speed is obtained by taking even more channels up. And by the seem of it, channel 13 has more bandwith available to it than rest. Frankly having found that out, I don't know how it actually works in a town. In Weaver's situation then, as you said a least one highly directional aerials at the shed end, or even better, one at each end. 
  Reference the MIKROTIC equipment does that require a licensed to use it, and also since the frequencies are outside the normal WiFi frequencies, both ends of the link require frequency compatible equipment. That means Weaver would require to find away to connect a cable through his stone walls.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 10:39:24 PM by benji09 »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2020, 10:32:22 PM »

I used a pair of TP-Link 5 GHz WAPs before, to form a line-of-site wireless link, with one end set up in ‘client’ mode, set to behave like a station not like an AP.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2020, 11:46:23 PM »

Yes I stand corrected, The situation is even worse than I thought. The additional speed is obtained by taking even more channels up. And by the seem of it, channel 13 has more bandwith available to it than rest. Frankly having found that out, I don't know how it actually works in a town. In Weaver's situation then, as you said a least one highly directional aerials at the shed end, or even better, one at each end. 
  Reference the MIKROTIC equipment does that require a licensed to use it, and also since the frequencies are outside the normal WiFi frequencies, both ends of the link require frequency compatible equipment. That means Weaver would require to find away to connect a cable through his stone walls.

The Mikrotic comes as a pre-paired kit, it makes it far more interesting as no messing about choosing channels, security, etc.  Its literally plug and pray [you got it lined up correctly].

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2020, 11:52:19 PM »

One thing comes to mind, I would have a bad hidden station problem, so would want to force RTS/CTS or whatever it’s called
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

anything