Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: IPv6 DNS on LAN  (Read 1704 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
IPv6 DNS on LAN
« on: September 22, 2019, 08:30:47 AM »

Is there a way I can get DNS requests to get resolved to IPv6 addresses of devices on my LAN? I have a variety of machines that speak IPv6 and acquire addresses: iOS boxes; a Blackberry z10 running Blackberry 10 QNX o/s; Amazon Kindles; the occasional visitor with other o/s; few windows boxes these days. I suspect I’m asking for a pony on the moon on a stick.

Regarding IPv4, I have some addresses matching in DNS queries answered by my Firebrick router which acts as a local DNS server for on-Lan querying devices only. The vast majority of devices have DNS records matching their IPv4 addresses by RRs set up on my ISP AA’s DNS servers; this is set up by hand by me, and works for all requesters whether inside or outside the LAN. I can do this because the IPv4 addresses in question are fixed and are assigned by me by hand (hundred entries or so). But IPv6 addresses of all these other o/s are afaik out of control and are generally random, not MAC-based, and I’m unable to configure every box to have static IPv6 addresses fixed, because of the behaviour of the o/s’s in question.

I think on Windows boxes, LLMNR multicast querying solves this problem for other windows boxes and Apple Macs use mDNS [?] or something which is essentially a very similar thing afaik all multicast-based, very zeroconf and very efficient.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 08:47:40 AM by Weaver »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: IPv6 DNS on LAN
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2019, 12:10:38 PM »

On my lan dhcpv6 can add a hostname, and if it does it will resolve on the lan.

If a hostname is supplied by the client I think if I remember right its automatically configured to resolve also.

Without a dhcp server, it would be the case of adding the records on your dns resolver, probably via a zone.

anything