Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Subnet range within an enclosing wider range  (Read 4389 times)

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
Re: Subnet range within an enclosing wider range
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2019, 08:58:18 PM »

Interesting. I can certainly help with the WAP's and VLAN's, though.

You desperately need a console cable (rollover cable) so you can get access to the console of the devices - though typically you'd need a laptop alongside to configure them.

However, I do believe you can configure a Raspberry Pi as a Cisco Console Server, as you have a USB to serial dongle within which you connect the Cisco "rollover" / "console" cable to, SSH to the pi, then access the console from the command line of the pi.

It's called a rollover cable because the pins are "rolled over" between the RJ45 and the serial end, pin 1->8, 2->7, 3->6 and so on. (I think)
Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2019, 09:37:25 PM »

Re. a Cisco console cable. I presume either this or this will be appropriate?  :-\

USB plug into the R-Pi and the 8P8C plug into the Cisco WAP console port. Log into the R-Pi as normal, then invoke "screen -U /dev/ttyUSB0" (possibly with the speed of the console port appended to the "screen" command line).

Edited to add (some hours later), for Weaver's benefit: The "screen" session can be terminated by issuing a <Ctrl-A>K key sequence.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 11:17:19 PM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2019, 10:17:41 PM »

I think so. I have a rollover cable and separate USB adapter, those appear to combine both of these into a single device. Might get one myself! Assuming they work (no reason why not) then that would be perfect for the Pi to get at the console.

Username and password, once into box are usually cisco/cisco.

Depending on the configuration placed on it by your contact - the device can also be configured to accept telnet or SSH connections.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2019, 10:28:52 PM »

I got nowhere before because i) I didn’t know what I was doing and ii) didn’t have the correct software installed in the WAPs as far as I can tell, but it’s been a long time. There was some detail about the sorry story in those threads which Burakkucat kindly dig out for me.

That would be my dream WAP hardware because they claim a very high end 802.11ac wave 2 spec and also claim to be deeply in love with Apple iOS too so roaming is supposed to work.

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2019, 08:27:27 AM »

Would love to help you out with them, this is what I do for a living.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2019, 11:55:15 AM »

@dee.jay wow fantastic - I’m asking a lot tho. I got two of these WAPs from eBay. Given my physical limitations - I’m semi bed-bound these days - I would need to post them off to a volunteer. And the pain I’m in, plus all the pain drugs, means my concentration is limited too. I bought them advertised on eBay as ‘with mobility express’ software and they had the right part code for that, but as far as I can tell they do not have the correct software load. I’m telling myself they need reflashing and I don’t have anything to reflash them with anyway.

I was wanting something that is faster more up to date and has superb roaming with Apple kit and no less high spec than my current very old top of the range - in their day - ZyXEL NWA 3560-N. I have multiple SSIDs set up and an isolated guest SSID with the ZyXELs. They are used by my wife in her tourist accommodation business so security is a big deal.

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2019, 12:25:27 PM »

If you want to ship them to me - I can have a crack and see what I can do with them?

If I can get them up and running then we can talk via here about how you would like them configured, then I'll ship them back

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2019, 08:59:37 AM »

One of our guys has a couple of Mobility Express devices at home and didn't seem to have any issues, so I think if the correct image can be obtained and loaded it should be straightforward enough.  One thing I notice is that Cisco seems to have locked down access to the Mobility Express downloads in a way that they haven't in general for other products. 

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2019, 06:51:43 PM »

@dee.jay that’s absolutely amazing. I’ll ask my wife to see if she can dig them out. I’m hoping she hasn’t lost them.

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2019, 08:32:46 PM »

My pleasure!

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2019, 02:03:45 PM »

Mobility Express is definitely want you want. If they are "lightweight" AP's then they will need to be paired with a WLC (Wireless LAN Controller) which will be expensive. I believe the Mobility Express will mean they are standalone access points, and capable of acting as such.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2019, 02:41:48 PM »

Absolutely no disagreement from me. Xiaomi products are sold at cost or less, they are the some the best value devices around.

The process of unlocking the bootloader however requires - mobile data connection not wifi, use of a proprietary unlock program, a 360 hour (15 day) cool down period

I also have a Pocophone F1 that I use daily - it is an excellent device. The waiting period to unlock a Poco device is only a couple of days  (unlike other Xiaomi devices) though I have not done so as I'm not really sure of the benefits of doing so (unlike my previous Android devices)
Pages: 1 [2]

anything