Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Sick  (Read 1639 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Sick
« on: September 21, 2019, 05:17:05 PM »

Sick as a dog today. Either because I massively overdid it with pain medication in the night last night, or else because of constipation due to morphine, or else because we have suddenly whacked up my pregabalin dose (on doc’s advice) rather than ramping it up slowly, which we did originally very carefully over weeks.
 :'(

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Sick
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2019, 05:34:43 PM »

It will probably be difficult to be absolutely sure of the cause . . . but I wonder if the post 0200 hours "meander", on the topic of optical fibre cables, with a certain kuro neko added to the general malaise?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2019, 08:24:33 PM »

Been there.   Combo of pregabalin,  Morphine CR and Oramorph.  :'(

Most likely the Oramorph - its say hello to the toilet because it gives you a sudden rush of pain relief which although will only help pain for a few hours, the nausea & sickness can linger all day.    My GP has recently upped Morphine CR to try help even out the Oramorph spikes... and also switched me to a different anti nausea med.   I'm sick as a dog too if I take Oramorph more than twice per day on top of the CR.     

Perhaps enquire from your GP if Morphine CR would be a better alternative as it is a level stream of morphine in your system.   It's same dose strength as Oramorph, but because its time released there is far less of the spike which hits your digestive system pretty quickly and can build up after taking each spoonful. (or swig!)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2019, 08:42:56 PM »

I always take plenty of anti nausea meds with the oramorph just to protect me, but I’ve never ever been even slightly nauseous before. I take prochlorperazine always, and also occasionally ondansetron too.

Maybe it’s because I went totally crackers and indeed had a ton of it in the night last night.

Thanks for letting me know that, much appreciated.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2019, 12:49:24 AM »

yw. Hope you feel a wee bit better now.   I hate the nausea.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2019, 06:46:41 AM »

Much better thanks to your tip. I dialled back on the pregabalin.

I’ve never ever had the slightest problem before.

The stupid locum cut back my pregabalin, by 50% I think Janet said, we didn’t realise it. Then normal doc spotted this on Friday and whacked my dose straight back up without ramping it up.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2019, 10:17:29 AM »

A high dose of pregabalin can me me feel a bit woozy in the head. Cotton wool, dizzy.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 06:54:05 PM by Weaver »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2019, 06:56:33 PM »

Still feeling somewhat nauseous this week but doctor came to see me today and has changed a few things including a new drug to try whose name I forget a strong anti-nausea drug that is an alternative to ondansetron and we’ll see which of the two drugs works better.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2019, 09:20:27 PM »

Let's hope that with some careful adjustment, you will being to feel somewhat better.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2019, 08:58:52 AM »

Glad to hear you got to the bottom of it and hopefully you are feeling better now.

Must admit I don't like Pregabalin, but it is better than Gabapentin which I was on first.   (I was a total zombie on Gabapentin). 
I'm wanting to come off Pregabalin as I don't feel it does anything much any more.   It seemed to help at first but I feel your body just acclimatises to it and you need more.. and more to get any effective pain relief.   
I'm a bit of a control freak and don't like the spaced out feeling -  hard to describe because morphine makes you not 100% with it - but it's very different IMHO.   Best way I can describe it is as being high and not aware - v - still aware but don't care.   I realise that not everyone reacts the same to medication and I can't take most of the synthetics anyway, but problem with Pregabalin is that you just cannot stop taking it nor suddenly drastically change the dosage.  No wonder you felt ill :(
-----

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2019, 09:04:11 AM »

Janet says I was on 300mg pregabalin per day some years back; she can see this because she found a very old box with instruction label on it. I don’t know what I was on more recently, but my regular good GP says the stupid locum doctor halved my dose without telling anyone and now they have out it back up to where it was, but I don’t think the sudden increase has done my stomach any favours. The pain in my feet is definitely better now though.

I’m now on cyclizine as an alternative to ondansetron for the nausea and vomiting, that plus tons of the usual prochlorperazine. I’ve only been on it less than a full day but it seems it could be good stuff. I took some this morning and it stopped the horrible shivering I was experiencing. I have always taken shivering as a warning that vomiting is on the way within hours.

I have been told to increase anti-constipation medicine, drink more water and raise my head/shoulders so I am not lying so very flat.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 09:07:08 AM by Weaver »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2019, 07:17:08 PM »

If they reduced it to 150mg per day ( being 1/2) then that is not much.   Not surprised you were suffering.   :'(

>>  cyclizine

ditto. 

Hope you are soon back to normalish :)

-----

anything