Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Nearing Handback speed - what should I do?  (Read 2432 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Nearing Handback speed - what should I do?
« on: September 01, 2019, 10:40:23 AM »

So as you might remember my speed as been gradually dropping for quite a while. I started off at 77Mbps, then went in to the 60s, then to upper 50s and now after an unexpected reboot I'm at 55Mbps.

I was thinking of dropping down a speed package as I'm very low for BT Infinity 2. But looking my line up on the dsl checker I noticed the handback downstream threshold is 49 on clean and 40 on impacted.

So what happens if I drop below 49Mbps (or 40Mbps), does that mean the line is no longer capable of having FTTC?
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

renluop

• Kitizen
Re: Nearing Handback speed - what should I do?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2019, 10:52:56 AM »

@Bowdon I know this is not adding anything, but what was the handback, when you took up the service, and is it the same as now? If the original was higher are you subject to what now is lower?

I kept the PN correspondence.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2019, 12:06:17 PM »

To be honest I'm not sure. I think it was higher back then as I had quite a fast line for this area. I can't remember getting any letter off BT about speed predictions. The only person who said a speed prediction was the Kelly guy who was here and said 55Mbps. But that was years ago and I've always been above that. All the guy did was plug the ethernet cable in while his mate went to the cabinet.

I was looking at the information in the advanced settings and noticed the maximum data rate for download is 66Mbps, yet the data rate (sync speed) is at 55Mbps. Why would there be such a difference? Especially when it says latency type: fast path. I'm thinking I'm on some kind of interleaving as that would explain the 10Mbps drop. I'll attach an image of the bt hub stats. I do wonder if its the recent firmware update that as caused these problems as the hub is rebooting more often than it did previously (not excessively, just 5 days instead of 9 days etc).

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2019, 02:46:13 PM »

I suspect you are on an ECI cabinet..
Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2019, 09:33:32 PM »

I suspect you are on an ECI cabinet..

Yes.

It just seems odd that it should be dropping like this. I'd like to think that the cabinet disconnected everyone and in the struggle to get back connected mine connected lower than usual. I guess we'll see. Though I haven't been around the 66Mbps mark for months.

But I guess this is the reality of FTTC becoming more popular. Unless more people take up G.fast then everyone is going to be filling the cabinets. It feels the cabinet its gradually grinding to a sub par service for everyone.

I guess its one way to encourage the people getting 80/20 to move to G.fast if their speeds start dropping  ;D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2019, 09:25:48 AM »

I've been in same position since my immediate neighbour got FTTC about a year ago and I lost a large chunk of speed due to crosstalk.    If my line was interleaved and/or I used a crappy modem then I'd be under it even though it has reduced to a lower figure than it was 18m ago.

Doesn't really mean anything other than you can hand back the line without incurring any charges, if in the case of Openreach being unable to fix a fault or improve the line.    Since they can't do much about x-talk I just ignore it otherwise it would drive me insane. 

The only concession I do make is DSLstats monitors my line for errors and sends me a message so hopefully I can reboot my modem before DLM is able to notice and apply interleaving. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2019, 10:41:57 AM »

I remember reading about your line kitz. At the moment I can do everything I want to do on the connection. It's just disappointing that we get the good speeds early then it gradually drops over time.

I'm still out of contract with BT. So if it drops any lower (below 52Mbps is for Infinity 1?) I might end up re-contracting but at Infinity 1 prices. I'm wondering if it would be worthwhile trying to get them to raise a fault, or don't you think they would be interested?

I'd like to stay on Infinity 2, but I'm paying currently more money for what is essentially 2Mbps.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2019, 04:31:08 PM »

The current handback is irrelevant to you.

You need to find the high/low estimates and more importantly the Minimum Guaranteed Access Line Speed (or MGALS for short) that BT quoted you when you signed up or renewed your contract.

The handback can drop (or even go up) over the time of your contract but your contract with BT has a fixed minimum guarantee.

It's usually in the order email sent at the time of ordering/renewing.

If your sync speed (not throughput) is below your minimum guarantee then I'd contact BT if it were me.

My MGALS from Plusnet was exactly the same as the Range A/Clean Downstream Handback when I signed up  but the handback has dropped since then.

I don't need my line to drop below the downstream handback but can complain if it drops below the MGALS instead (which is higher).
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 04:36:41 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2019, 11:34:18 PM »

It just rebooted again and I'm now at 54.13Mbps.

The only email I got from BT that mentions a speed estimate is from 2014 when I signed up. It says;

Your broadband speed

We estimate your download speed will be between 53Mb and 70Mb.
We estimate your upload speed will be between 15.0Mb and 19.9Mb.

That's the only place speed is mentioned. I think I'll start making some noise on the BT forum soon.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2019, 12:28:11 AM »

I've just been looking around my account on BT, and looking at the offers page. Apparently this is what I have now;

Superfast Fibre 2 Unlimited
Your download speed range 44Mb - 69Mb
Upload speed range 11Mb - 18Mb
Your Stay Fast Guarantee 37Mb

Apparently the Stay Fast Guarantee is;

How the Stay Fast Guarantee works

You'll get your very own Stay Fast Guarantee speed when you re-contract with us.

We constantly check and optimise your speeds, but you can also test the download speed to your hub in My BT. If it's slower than it should be, we'll run checks to fix the problem and send out an engineer if needed.

If we can't get your speeds back to where they should be 30 days after a fault's been identified, we'll give you £20 back, up to two times.

So they would hold someone to a contract to a speed that doesn't even max out the package below it, before they would release an Infinity 2 customer.

Why is the Stay Fast speed below their own estimates?

dorzb

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2019, 10:38:08 AM »

I've just been looking around my account on BT, and looking at the offers page. Apparently this is what I have now;

Apparently the Stay Fast Guarantee is;

So they would hold someone to a contract to a speed that doesn't even max out the package below it, before they would release an Infinity 2 customer.

Why is the Stay Fast speed below their own estimates?

If the guaranteed speed is only 37mbps you probably should choose superfast fibre 1 rather than 2. I'm currently on 1 and my line is synced at 55/10 mbps.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2019, 11:15:37 AM »

If the guaranteed speed is only 37mbps you probably should choose superfast fibre 1 rather than 2. I'm currently on 1 and my line is synced at 55/10 mbps.

I wonder if I'd be considered a new customer because I'm out of contract with them (BT)?

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2019, 01:25:32 PM »

I wonder if I'd be considered a new customer because I'm out of contract with them (BT)?

I don't think so. Believe you have to actually leave and rejoin to be considered a new customer.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2019, 05:16:33 AM »

I start off with 80Mb/79Mb in 2014 on the dsl checker on Range A Clean high/low but it now reduced down to 80Mb/68Mb (reduced of 11Mb over the last five years) but my sync rate remain at max 80/20. Count myself lucky indeed.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 05:26:30 AM by adslmax »

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2019, 11:17:04 AM »

Yeah my main line started at 70+Mb. Have had 80 in the past but crosstalkers and a 600m cabinet distance means I'm down to 65. I have two lines though so is not all bad. Would love FTTP to negate crosstalk though.
Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox