Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Does anyone know how to use screen mirroring on Win10?  (Read 3007 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Does anyone know how to use screen mirroring on Win10?
« on: September 20, 2019, 01:05:26 PM »

I'm just having a little mess around on the windows 10 machine and wondered how I would get screen mirroring to work. I've done a search on google and youtube but all those do it via a wifi connection. I have the tv plugged in with an ethernet cable. If I go to bluetooth and other devices, it sees my tv in the other devices section. But if I click on the tv it just displays a remove button.

I'm thinking there must be a way to do screen mirroring via ethernet cable?

BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Does anyone know how to use screen mirroring on Win10?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 03:02:06 PM »

The only time I've done mirroring is when the TV is connected via VGA or HDMI when it is a doddle (see attached).
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2019, 03:36:30 PM »

I've only seen the Miracast screen mirror capability in Windows 10 used in a wireless environment.
Saying that, a quick Google (other browsers are available) found https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/surface-hub/miracast-over-infrastructure, which suggests it can also be used between wired devices.
I think your likely issue is that TVs that support Miracast will only do so via wireless as that is what most consumers will use.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2019, 12:12:46 AM »

Just stepping back a bit, why do you want to mirror the PC screen to the TV? If it's to play media content held on the PC on the TV can't you stream it?
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2019, 11:19:03 AM »

Just stepping back a bit, why do you want to mirror the PC screen to the TV? If it's to play media content held on the PC on the TV can't you stream it?

I thought about doing that. I just got distracted with how come windows can mirror via wifi but not ethernet.

As anyone any experience with Plex? that seems to be the main program people use these days for streaming.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

adrianw

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2019, 09:28:45 AM »

I seem to recall that Miracast is described as flakey.

I tried Plex and did not like it, for music going back to MediaMonkey for my own collection, usually from my NAS via a PC and connected amplifier but occasionally a DLNA device, and Spotify and BBC Sounds (hate it) for Echo and Chromecast Audio devices. For video I stream from a Humax HDR-Fox T2 (with Custom Firmware) to a  PC with VLC (a bit messy as Chrome/VLC integration is broken), a Fire Stick, BBC IPlayer and recently BritBox.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2019, 10:14:06 AM »

I use a special version of Kodi on my Nvida Shield TV for streaming films as that handles Atmos and DTS X

For TV viewing and recording I use Mediaportal.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D