Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: BT to Propose Full Fibre Move and Copper Switch Off by 2027  (Read 11786 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: BT to Propose Full Fibre Move and Copper Switch Off by 2027
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2019, 11:28:16 AM »

In no way questioning you BS  :hat:

Just very interested in how it can be done, particularly without alternative landline services.

I'm all for it happening tomorrow if the alternatives are in place.
for voice the future is wireless

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2019, 04:57:14 PM »

for voice the future is wireless
That's your opinion.

I'm sure a fixed line operator like OpenReach would disagree though.

They wouldn't be developing their VOIP/VoB solution if they thought mobile networks were going to do all this in future.

May as well just close PSTN now and not bother working on alternatives.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2019, 07:03:19 PM »

They are going to develop as its their business to try and keep a market there as long as possible.  I would do the same.

I dont think wired voice services are going to completely die but they will shrink significantly in the residential sector.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2019, 07:18:00 PM »

I would also argue in the business sector to, we've gone over to VOIP, and I know quite a few of our suppliers have.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2019, 07:27:07 PM »

Most of us don't even have phones on our desks... I do only so I can contact the old school world. (Admittedly, it's all VoIP :))
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2019, 08:16:57 PM »

Voip does not equate to wireless.

I know of major commercial organisations who have ‘gone VoIP’ for telephony, but that would be VoIP over their whatever blend of fibre and copper delivers their internet access.

I know of no major organisations  that have ‘gone wireless’ for internet access, regardless of whether just data, or VoIP too.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2019, 08:24:12 PM »

Most of us don't even have phones on our desks...

Would you please quantify both the "most" and the "us". I would be most interested to see those figures that relate to the U.K.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2019, 08:57:57 PM »

Voip does not equate to wireless.

Yes but it does equate to not requiring a phone line for telephony as in the traditional sense.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2019, 10:04:24 PM »

I know going mobile seems to be quite high in some european countries. I'm not sure if that is the case in the UK, yet. But it wouldnt surprise me if it was coming soon. It might be a generational thing, as we know all the kids use mobiles 24/7, so the landline, I would guess, will be nearly dead by the time they get in to their 30s and 40s i.e. around 2030 to 2040.

I was interested to see on one of the twitters I'm following that tv channels are now being broadcast over full fibre connections in some countries, I think as a test. In my opinion this will eventually happen for competition reasons against VM. But also if tv channels were broadcast over "landlines" then it would free up even more space in broadcast frequencies.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2019, 10:10:58 PM »

Would you please quantify both the "most" and the "us". I would be most interested to see those figures that relate to the U.K.

Sorry, should probably have qualified that with - at work - the vast majority of people do not have physical telephones on their desks.

We can make phone calls with a soft VoIP phone. How phone calls get off VoIP and out into the PSTN - that's handled by a 3rd party supplier

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2019, 10:25:32 PM »

Sorry, should probably have qualified that with - at work - the vast majority of people do not have physical telephones on their desks.

Ah, I see. Thank you.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2019, 10:27:00 AM »

I'm just over 50 year's old and simply don't see the point of a landline, I can take my mobile any where I go, where as with a land line it stays at home. My oldest daughter is at uni, everybody can still get hold of her on her mobile, my wife and other daughter also have their own mobiles, so we all have our own independent phones. Bowden is right, many youngsters would have grown up without or barely using a landline.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2019, 10:45:30 AM »

It seems to me, one difference with the landline is it is seen as serving the house, not the individual.   When it rings, it is generally the case that whoever is nearest will answer it.   And if, for example, it’s cousin George calling to invite us for dinner, he won’t care who answers as long as somebody does.

In contrast, I would not dream of answering other half’s mobile, or even looking to see who was calling.  Nor would I look at her text messages. A mobile is, to me, a very private thing.  George’s call might thus go unanswered, even though somebody was available to talk to him, just because he called the ‘wrong’ mobile.

When calling others, I always prefer to call their landlines rather than mobile.   I know how embarrassing/annoying it can be when a phone starts ringing, say, at a supermarket checkout, or on crowded public transport.   I don’t like to feel I might be contributing to such a nuisance.

Thus, since I feel mobiles and landlines serve quite different purposes, I want one of each. :)

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #58 on: October 08, 2019, 11:00:14 AM »

The only person who calls our landline is my mother-in-law. That's it. Despite her and my wife both owning mobiles, they often call each other on the landline. Odd, that.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #59 on: October 08, 2019, 12:53:14 PM »

It seems to me, one difference with the landline is it is seen as serving the house, not the individual.   When it rings, it is generally the case that whoever is nearest will answer it.   And if, for example, it’s cousin George calling to invite us for dinner, he won’t care who answers as long as somebody does.

In contrast, I would not dream of answering other half’s mobile, or even looking to see who was calling.  Nor would I look at her text messages. A mobile is, to me, a very private thing.  George’s call might thus go unanswered, even though somebody was available to talk to him, just because he called the ‘wrong’ mobile.

When calling others, I always prefer to call their landlines rather than mobile.   I know how embarrassing/annoying it can be when a phone starts ringing, say, at a supermarket checkout, or on crowded public transport.   I don’t like to feel I might be contributing to such a nuisance.

Thus, since I feel mobiles and landlines serve quite different purposes, I want one of each. :)

It is probably a generational thing 7LM. I know what you mean about bothering people if they might be out in public. I'm the same. But a lot of the younger generation don't seem to bother. I think they also text message using apps these days. I can never stand to be typing on the mobile phone too much though  :)

I think in your example Georges unanswered call would usually go to a voice recording service (something that is standard on all mobiles, but not on landlines) and your wife would get a notification that she missed a call and tell her to call the answer service to hear the message.

I'm sure the landline will remain. But I suspect the priority will change from voice to data.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

anything