Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: BT to Propose Full Fibre Move and Copper Switch Off by 2027  (Read 11652 times)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: BT to Propose Full Fibre Move and Copper Switch Off by 2027
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2019, 10:03:24 PM »

Many people have no comprehension of how it works, every time mine stopped working my 17 year old daughter complained the WiFi had stopped working again, even though I told her every time it was the broadband. Once to prove the WiFi was OK I told her to type in 192.168.0.12, she wasn't impressed when the Web interface of our printer appeared on her phone, but it proved the WiFi was working ;D

If I had kids I would TOTALLY be that guy. :lol:
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2019, 12:01:30 AM »

Ref understanding of technological boundaries, I continue to be surprised (and depressed) by the number of people I meet, outwardly intelligent folks,  who think their car sat-navs ‘receive directions’ from the GPS satellites. ::)

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2019, 06:05:45 PM »

Do they need to care how it works? I'm sure a lawyer would be astonished by my ignorance of the law. I would hope they wouldn't look down on me because of it.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2019, 06:37:08 PM »

Interesting point.  But actually, I’d imagine lawyers might also be occasionally dismayed when they overhear armchair experts debating legal matters, in nonsensical terms. :)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2019, 12:02:32 PM »

8 years is far away, but I am getting older so finding every year more and more valuable.  But I will acknowledge its a clear step forward and hopefully BT will get more ambitious in future bringing that date closer.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2019, 04:31:16 PM »

8 years is far away, but I am getting older so finding every year more and more valuable.

Sometimes I think like that too when I see these far off year dates. Will I be alive to get full fibre? Maybe they can connect my grave site up  ;D
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2019, 09:02:09 PM »

FTTG :)

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2019, 09:06:10 PM »

I plan on being cremated, so I guess I want 5G
Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2019, 11:46:10 PM »

Do they need to care how it works? I'm sure a lawyer would be astonished by my ignorance of the law. I would hope they wouldn't look down on me because of it.

From a security perspective and being able to correctly explain problems to your ISP when they happen, I'd argue yes.

A lot of scams are simply due to a lack of knowledge about how the Internet works.  But equally there will be some people who will never "get it", my mum for one.

Kids however, they really should be taught the basics.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2019, 08:42:04 PM »

Completely agree, even though I do see some very odd things going past my windows these days.  ::)

Imagine what would become of those rural users who depend upon a horrible, slow, bit of copper because FTTP is not an economically viable alternative.  Or those who live in blocks of flats, served with gigabit services to the locality by the likes of Hyperoptic, but delivered to their home via copper?    Would they be told they can no longer have any service at all, just to satisfy a gimmicky “copper switch off”  headline?   And what then, would they be fobbed off with an even worse mobile service?

Trust me .... things are moving incredibly fast in OR regarding FTTP deployment.

Blocks of flats and similar (or MDU's - Multiple Dwelling Units as they're termed) are absolutely part of the programme, as is 'The last 20%', (areas receiving very slow speeds or nothing at all).  :)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2019, 09:58:48 PM »

Trust me .... things are moving incredibly fast in OR regarding FTTP deployment.

Blocks of flats and similar (or MDU's - Multiple Dwelling Units as they're termed) are absolutely part of the programme, as is 'The last 20%', (areas receiving very slow speeds or nothing at all).  :)

Nice to see you posting, BS, it’s been a while. :)

My concern is not that BT are committing to target dates for fibre that goes further than FTTC, that is good.   My concern is that they are (allegedly) committing to target dates for copper switch-off.   That would not be so good if, come that date, people were still depending upon on it, no matter how few.

Copper switch-off should imho happen when (meaning ‘after’) it is no longer needed, rather than according to a target date.  I actually suspect BT will ‘do the right thing’ left to their own devices, but the media and politicians seem to be encouraging them to ‘do the wrong thing’ in pursuit of a gimmicky headline.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2019, 12:01:01 AM »

the media and politicians seem to be encouraging them to ‘do the wrong thing’ in pursuit of a gimmicky headline

Agreed.   There is a lot of hype without understanding technology or what is involved.

Copper switch-off should imho happen when (meaning ‘after’) it is no longer needed, rather than according to a target date.

A date needs to be set as there will always be someone with a need.  I'm thinking along the lines of the DSO and switch off for analogue TV.   It perhaps does seem a bit premature at this time to set a date when it seems so far in the future and and its only just getting off the ground.

I saw a really good article a several weeks ago about BoJo's fibre promises.   I think it was on El reg.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2019, 12:06:06 AM »

I think it was on El reg

Found it -
Boris Johnson's promise of full fibre in the UK by 2025 is pie in the sky.

There are quotes in the main article from CarlT and Saffy

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2019, 10:55:39 AM »

I wonder sometimes if one of the influences for a copper switch off is that G.fast pushed the copper line to the limit and overall its failed to produce the results they were hoping for, so now they realise if they want to go any faster and provide a consistant service then the copper lines need updating.

I think they did need to name a date, even if it's just a symbolic one, just to set a target so they can track progress towards their overall goal.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2019, 10:59:33 AM »

Nice to see you posting, BS, it’s been a while. :)

My concern is not that BT are committing to target dates for fibre that goes further than FTTC, that is good.   My concern is that they are (allegedly) committing to target dates for copper switch-off.   That would not be so good if, come that date, people were still depending upon on it, no matter how few.

Copper switch-off should imho happen when (meaning ‘after’) it is no longer needed, rather than according to a target date.  I actually suspect BT will ‘do the right thing’ left to their own devices, but the media and politicians seem to be encouraging them to ‘do the wrong thing’ in pursuit of a gimmicky headline.

We have a generation of people who have grown up using landline phones, I think as long as they are breathing the government wouldnt let their legacy services be turned off, its a kind of a generation thing.  Now you could argue one could offer voip over fibre, and the handheld device mirrors a legacy phone so the end user isnt confused, but we never going to have universal fibre coverage by 2027, there will be people like weaver still only connected by copper and the government will protect them whilst that generation of people lives.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

anything