Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: improving upload on long rural line  (Read 6767 times)

outoftownie

Re: improving upload on long rural line
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2019, 09:48:38 PM »

Well after a 2 hour power cut this morning (welcome to the countryside!) I now seem to have the mythical G.INP upstream, as well as vectoring, and almost another meg of upstream...

Code: [Select]
Stats recorded 13 Sep 2019 21:44:48

DSLAM type / SW version: BDCM:0xa48c (164.140) / v0xa48c
Modem/router firmware:  AnnexA version - A2pv6C038m.d24j
DSL mode:                VDSL2 Profile 17a
Uptime:                  11 hours 53 min 17 sec
Resyncs:                0 (since 13 Sep 2019 09:59:24)

Downstream Upstream
Line attenuation (dB):  26.1 0.0
Signal attenuation (dB): Not monitored
Connection speed (kbps): 25970 3288
SNR margin (dB):        4.6 6.0
Power (dBm):            11.4 7.2
Interleave depth:        8 4
INP:                    47.00 41.00
G.INP:                  Enabled Enabled
Vectoring status:        1 (VECT_FULL)

RSCorr/RS (%):          0.1339 0.1999
RSUnCorr/RS (%):        0.0000 0.0000
ES/hour:                0.55 2.95

...and a much lower ES rate, on the upstream side...

Hopefully DLM will start to lower the target SNR over the next few days and squeeze a bit more out...

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2019, 07:57:54 AM »

Vectoring too - you are lucky as not many of us get that (although I'm not sure how much it'll actually be achieving on a 1km+ line).
It'll be interesting to see if the upstream G.INP stays - fingers crossed it will.
 :)

I bet you never knew you could have so much fun looking at line stats - beware though, as it can be addictive. ;D
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 08:03:05 AM by tubaman »
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2019, 02:21:27 AM »

Tuba man speaks the truth - beware :-)

I am certainly jealous of your upstream. I only get ~440k upstream IP PDU rate from the best one of my lines (which has a sync rate 525k upstream) and that gives a combined measured TCP SDU (?) rate of ~1.2Mbps; used to be a measured 2.56Mbps u/s TCP SDU rate a few months ago.

Firebrick current upstream rate limiters' IP PDU tx rates (egress speeds), in-force right now ::
    #1: 448076 bps
    #2: 436981 bps
    #3: 357607 bps
    #4: 423325 bps
Total ideal combined rate: 1.665989 Mbps

Fractional speed contributions:
    #1: 26.895%   [█████████████ ‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒]
    #2: 26.230%   [█████████████ ‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒]
    #3: 21.465%   [███████████ ‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒]
    #4: 25.410%   [█████████████ ‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒]

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2019, 11:20:57 PM »

Do you by any chance record Connection Stats on DslStats?
It's the option in the attached image.

I'm interested in seeing if Vectoring was active immediately or enabled later (if you were recording from day 1 that is).
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2019, 02:56:12 AM »

I think you have done the easy stuff by having a decent modem, looking at your wiring etc

I had the same issue, living in the countryside but wanting to access my network whilst away from home makes low upstream bandwidth super annoying  >:(
I ended up getting a second line and using dual-WAN router (without bonding) which is a sort-of halfway house, albeit pretty expensive.

I also found that my upstream bandwidth was being capped by my ISP because when I upgraded to "unlimited" my upstream bandwidth doubled.

Recently BT kindly installed a new cabinet close to my home and suddenly both my connections instantly went to 80 /20 which is nice, so I can now get 40 Mb upstream which helps a lot when I am uploading files, hurrrah!

C

outoftownie

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2019, 09:49:37 AM »

Do you by any chance record Connection Stats on DslStats?
It's the option in the attached image.

I'm interested in seeing if Vectoring was active immediately or enabled later (if you were recording from day 1 that is).

Unfortunately I wasn't recording from day 1 - I only got the HG612 a few days later when the initial speeds were meh. I have now turned on the option you highlighted!

In the past couple of days I seem to have lost the G.INP upstream, and upstream has dropped from 3400 to 2600kbps, while giving me anothe couple of megs of downstream - which I need less than another meg of upstream. Ho hum, what the Lord giveth, the Lord taketh away...

I have got an external directional 4G antenna and am going to experiment with offloading non-essential uploads (e.g. IP-CCTV recordings) to 4G...

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2019, 10:37:32 AM »

In the past couple of days I seem to have lost the G.INP upstream, and upstream has dropped from 3400 to 2600kbps, while giving me anothe couple of megs of downstream - which I need less than another meg of upstream. Ho hum, what the Lord giveth, the Lord taketh away...

From observation of the 3 VDSL2 lines I monitor and record with DSLStats & RPi's, US G.Inp is applied if the associated DLM triggers are exceeded for whatever reason but has always been removed again via a DLM re-synch between a few days to a week later.

Of course, the application of US G.Inp in most cases removes or greatly reduces the error rates which were likely to have caused DLM to apply US G.Inp in the first place, historically and purely by observation on my systems, have never seen US G.Inp lasting longer than a week.

In all observed instances of US G.Inp application have also noted that Re-Tx low profile was applied, confirmed by Bearer 0, INPRein being "0" (zero).
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2019, 11:47:12 AM »

Of course, the application of US G.Inp in most cases removes or greatly reduces the error rates which were likely to have caused DLM to apply US G.Inp in the first place, historically and purely by observation on my systems, have never seen US G.Inp lasting longer than a week.

I concur  - I've only seen US G.INP a couple of times on my line, and then only for a few days on each occasion. It just seems odd that once you get DS G.INP it seems to stick but the same is not the case with with the US side.
Is this perhaps something to do with the CPE (ie the customer's modem) having to do the work for US G.INP whereas it's DSLAM doing it on the DS side?
 :)

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2019, 12:25:59 PM »

Is this perhaps something to do with the CPE (ie the customer's modem) having to do the work for US G.INP whereas it's DSLAM doing it on the DS side?

Valid point, never thought of that.
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2019, 07:17:40 PM »

Why would that be the reason? Does your modem have better things to do besides doing its job as a modem? :P
I think the DSLAM is more likely to be more constrained than a single modem - the DSLAM had to squeeze as many lines onto a line card as they could, a typical modem only has to do one line.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2019, 07:55:59 PM »

Why would that be the reason? Does your modem have better things to do besides doing its job as a modem? :P
I think the DSLAM is more likely to be more constrained than a single modem - the DSLAM had to squeeze as many lines onto a line card as they could, a typical modem only has to do one line.
My modem likes flashing its lights and contributing heat to the room in addition to its modem duties. ;D
So why do we think that DS G.INP almost invariably sticks but US G.INP almost invariably does not?
 ???

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2019, 08:27:06 PM »

It probably dates from when some modems didn't support upstream G.INP, when it wasn't a mandatory requirement, and the G.INP Mk1 / Mk2 debacle.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2019, 09:07:41 PM »

https://kitz.co.uk/adsl/ginp-retransmission.htm

Interview was years ago but nothing seems to have changed.

outoftownie

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2019, 06:57:36 PM »

My upstream G.INP is back as of 7am this morning, giving me 3400kbps upstream (vs 2600 without), zero error seconds and no impact on downstream (also with G.INP, and vectoring).

Let's see how long it stays, it was about 3 days last time.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2019, 11:40:45 PM »

Until DLM sees the upstream is stable enough.

Some lines never see upstream G.INP as they never get enough errors.

Some go through a continuous cycle of DLM adding upstream G.INP, which helps prevent errors, DLM removes G.INP and the errors return, and the cycle starts again.

Some noisier lines keep upstream G.INP for extended periods.

Who knows what DLM will do with your line. The type of errors and their thresholds are a bit of a mystery with regards to G.INP.
Pages: 1 [2] 3

anything