Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: improving upload on long rural line  (Read 6856 times)

outoftownie

Re: improving upload on long rural line
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2019, 08:18:41 AM »

Until DLM sees the upstream is stable enough.

Some lines never see upstream G.INP as they never get enough errors.

Some go through a continuous cycle of DLM adding upstream G.INP, which helps prevent errors, DLM removes G.INP and the errors return, and the cycle starts again.

Some noisier lines keep upstream G.INP for extended periods.

Who knows what DLM will do with your line. The type of errors and their thresholds are a bit of a mystery with regards to G.INP.

Just as an update, this seems to be what is happening with my line - now running for a month, it has had G.INP upstream for about half that time. When it's on, I get ~3400kbps upstream and zero error seconds, without it's 2600kbps and around 15-20 ES per hour. I wish it would stick, but seems determined not to...

Downstream has slowly risen over the past month and is currently at 29289kbps and seems to be stable at 3db with G.INP on. (vectoring is still on too)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: improving upload on long rural line
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2019, 09:06:19 AM »

If you are interested in 4G, then AA has a horribly expensive 4G-over-Three service or you can use their L2TP service and then combine that with an all-you-can eat flat rate 4G deal directly from one of the mobile operators ( Three?, someone else too ? Have been discussing this a lot in recent threads over the past six months or so.) A Firebrick or similar router and L2TP into the ISP would allow you to split traffic between 4G and DSL in the upstream direction. L2TP into AA could split downstream traffic coming to you between 4G and DSL lines even if the 4G is with a different ISP.

I use 3G but for backup only; only if everything fails do I then switch over. I haven’t got 4G hardware configured properly yet, something I need help sorting out. My Firebrick router could be set up to send stuff via 4G all the time to massively boost the total upstream, but with my current AA-over-Three 4G SIM it would bankrupt me, since upstream as well as downstream is charged per byte on this AA 4G deal. AA ought to really resell one of the carrier’s flat rate deals too,

Ideally you want an affordable quota thats enough to tie you over for basic browsing when dsl is down, but also has the option of topups when needed, assuming one outage a year I think thats viable.

I use EE for that, I use the mobile data when out anyway but it works as backup to my dsl if it goes down also.

Although on my oneplusone I had to write a script to remove the tethering ip route stuff, as the phone is blocking traffic when tethered and EE swear to me tethering isnt blocked (to be fair it works fine on my s7).

Will the firebrick work with a phone plugged into the usb port in tethering mode?

Performance wise I find 4g browsing comparable to interleaved dsl.
Pages: 1 2 [3]

anything