Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Changing ISP Modem Question  (Read 1325 times)

nfxcr3w

Changing ISP Modem Question
« on: September 19, 2019, 02:14:59 PM »

I'm going back to my old ISP and wanted to know should i keep my HG612 3B in or put the BT Smart Hub in when i get it activated on the day?
BT FTTC @3db 80/20 Zyxel VMG1312-B10A bridged + 1508 MTU + OpenWrt 19.07.2 Huawei Cab

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Changing ISP Modem Question
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2019, 02:25:44 PM »

Which ISP are you going to ?

If your new ISP supplies a router configured for you then you should probably use that. Your new ISP’s support staff will understand a router that they have supplied, will be able to either help you configure it or may be able to remotely configure it automatically by magic over the network when it is first plugged in. Also if there are any problems, then there is no buck-passing; whether a problem is to do with the kit, the line, the internet access infrastructure further upstream or the ISP’s core network then it’s always the ISP’s fault regardless.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 02:31:42 PM by Weaver »

nfxcr3w

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2019, 02:32:33 PM »

Which ISP are you going to ?

If your new ISP supplies a router configured for you then you should probably use that. Your new ISP’s support staff will understand a router that they have supplied, will be able to either help you configure it or may be able to remotely configure it automatically by magic over the network when it is first plugged in. Also if there are any problems, then there is no buck-passing; whether a problem is to do with the kit, the line, the internet access infrastructure further upstream or the ISP’s core network then it’s always the ISP’s fault regardless.

Coming from TalkTalk to BT i didn't use the TalkTalk supplied modem since it was horrible hence why i went with modem i use a secondary router configured with OpenWRT since i use QoS on that.
BT FTTC @3db 80/20 Zyxel VMG1312-B10A bridged + 1508 MTU + OpenWrt 19.07.2 Huawei Cab

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2019, 03:36:09 PM »

I see no reason to change the 3B if you are happy with it.
I assume your router is dealing with the PPP side of things, in which case all you should need to do is make sure it has the BT username (bthomehub@btinternet.com) and password (anything as long as it's not blank - I just use 'BT') so you get a PPP session.
If there are any issues and you need tech support then they will want the Homehub connected, but other than that there is no need.
:)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2019, 03:40:55 PM »

Stick with your OpenWrt router and current modem then definitely. It’s a choice you made for sound reasons. Will have to ask BT tech support for any magic runes you need to configure your router. I’m assuming they are sufficiently clued up so as to be able to give the required info out.

There will be plenty of BT Retail ISP users here who can help with any config questions.

The HG612 is perhaps getting a bit long in the tooth, but it does the job well. At some point you might feel like you want to take a risk and see if you can get slightly higher DSL speeds from a new modem but whether or not there is any chance of any improvement depends on your line and is a game of experiment. Could easily waste a small amount of money on modems and get no benefit at all. And in any event that would have nothing to do with ISPs. Many people revere ZyXEL modems for example. (I use several ZyXEL VMG-1312-B10A modems.)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 03:50:10 PM by Weaver »

nfxcr3w

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2019, 04:04:55 PM »

I see no reason to change the 3B if you are happy with it.
I assume your router is dealing with the PPP side of things, in which case all you should need to do is make sure it has the BT username (bthomehub@btinternet.com) and password (anything as long as it's not blank - I just use 'BT') so you get a PPP session.
If there are any issues and you need tech support then they will want the Homehub connected, but other than that there is no need.

Yeah since TalkTalk use DHCP instead of PPPoE i found that the OpenWRT doesn't work well with it I've had more issues using TalkTalk only reason why i left BT was it would slow down in the evening times  and pick back up speed around 12am but i had better connection when playing call of duty with BT than i did with TalkTalk seems as though TalkTalk has major packet loss though which is causing my hit detection in call of duty to be worse. TalkTalk did say why did i want to leave and i said cause I'm a gamer and it played a loot worse they wanted to pass it on has Feedback so they can see what there competitors get compared to them.

nfxcr3w

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2019, 04:08:08 PM »

Stick with your OpenWrt router and current modem then definitely. It’s a choice you made for sound reasons. Will have to ask BT tech support for any magic runes you need to configure your router. I’m assuming they are sufficiently clued up so as to be able to give the required info out.

There will be plenty of BT Retail ISP users here who can help with any config questions.

The HG612 is perhaps getting a bit long in the tooth, but it does the job well. At some point you might feel like you want to take a risk and see if you can get slightly higher DSL speeds from a new modem but whether or not there is any chance of any improvement depends on your line and is a game of experiment. Could easily waste a small amount of money on modems and get no benefit at all. And in any event that would have nothing to do with ISPs. Many people revere ZyXEL modems for example. (I use several ZyXEL VMG-1312-B10A modems.)

I still have my trusty ZyXEL VMG-1312-B10A but I've always had a great connection with the HG612 3B and cause I'm a gamer the OpenWRT is helping with Bufferbloat hence why i prefer having Modem>OpenWRT but when i did use the ZyXEL VMG-1312-B10A i gained 1mb extra speed from it on the download side.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2019, 04:34:14 PM »

I was thinking about using modems as ‘just modems’, in modem-only mode and sticking with your favourite OpenWRT router in addition.

What about using the B10A as just-a-modem ? Would there be bufferbloat problems then ?

There of course should not be any packet loss ever, apart from the natural loss that is part of TCP’s operation if TCP is being used and driving the link flat out.

You need a fast, quality gamer-friendly ISP in that case.

nfxcr3w

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2019, 05:22:00 PM »

I was thinking about using modems as ‘just modems’, in modem-only mode and sticking with your favourite OpenWRT router in addition.

What about using the B10A as just-a-modem ? Would there be bufferbloat problems then ?

There of course should not be any packet loss ever, apart from the natural loss that is part of TCP’s operation if TCP is being used and driving the link flat out.

You need a fast, quality gamer-friendly ISP in that case.

Well the ZyXEL VMG-1312-B10A caused me packet loss i think it was to do with QoS on the Zyxel side of things being enabled by default. The only one's that didn't cause me packet loss was the Billion 8800NL R2 and the HG612 3B and BT's Smart Hub so it was either a stable modem but lose 1MB on the downstream or choose packet loss and gain 1mb speed i know what I'd rather choose lol. I think not matter what ISP i go with they will all use BT's Network in that case. but i refuse to go with Virgin Media. Modem and Choosing your own router is the best way to go IMO.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 05:25:23 PM by nfxcr3w »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2019, 08:17:05 PM »

Just so I understand, was that using the B10A as a router though ? I’m wondering if we’re at cross purposes - I’m talking about B10-the-mere-modem and you could be talking about the wireless-modem-router B10?

If it was causing packet loss, then should bin it because it’s broken. Mine doesn’t suffer from any packet loss, but then mine is just a modem and so doesn’t suffer from any of the many bugs that are known -see those listed on AA’s support website.

Anyway, if you’re feeling like an experiment, you could try a B10A configured as a modem-only with your openwrt router. the B10A most certainly does not cause packet loss when used only as a modem so you might want to take a chance if you’ve nothing else to do. This reliability is proven because I’m an Andrews and Arnold user and they have continuous quality monitoring (CQM)servers constantly PPP LCP pinging the links every so many seconds and checking for packet loss. I can see from this monitoring system when there is packet loss due to data corruption if the dsl link goes bad because of exceptionally low SNR.

nfxcr3w

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2019, 08:32:59 PM »

Just so I understand, was that using the B10A as a router though ? I’m wondering if we’re at cross purposes - I’m talking about B10-the-mere-modem and you could be talking about the wireless-modem-router B10?

If it was causing packet loss, then should bin it because it’s broken. Mine doesn’t suffer from any packet loss, but then mine is just a modem and so doesn’t suffer from any of the many bugs that are known -see those listed on AA’s support website.

Anyway, if you’re feeling like an experiment, you could try a B10A configured as a modem-only with your openwrt router. the B10A most certainly does not cause packet loss when used only as a modem so you might want to take a chance if you’ve nothing else to do. This reliability is proven because I’m an Andrews and Arnold user and they have continuous quality monitoring (CQM)servers constantly PPP LCP pinging the links every so many seconds and checking for packet loss. I can see from this monitoring system when there is packet loss due to data corruption if the dsl link goes bad because of exceptionally low SNR.

This is with B10A in Bridge Mode having it setup from Kitz i set it up to the T and still got packet loss I've never experienced it with any of the other routers but it could just well be TalkTalk the way they set up there own kit i give TalkTalk that they're good for speed but cheaping out on broadband was horrible for gaming.