Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Could my line have SRA?  (Read 2202 times)

displaced

• Reg Member
Could my line have SRA?
« on: September 03, 2019, 12:28:50 AM »

Hi!

I’ve noticed my line speed has been changing a lot more often recently - sometimes once per day, or every other day.

Download’s always within a 55 to 58Mbit range which is normal for my line, as is upload. I have dslstats monitoring the line, but haven’t noticed an out-of-the-ordinary number of resync alert emails.

In fact, I just checked and I’m at 59 down, which is unheard of this time of year for me. Usually my 21.5dB attenuation in warm weather limits me to ~56.

So, is it possible that my line could have SRA?  Is there anything in the dslstats data that I could check?  And, out of curiosity, would SRA trigger dslstats resync alerts?

(I’m on a Huawei cab with an HG612 modem, Gravesend exchange)

Chris
YouFibre 1Gbit, OPNsense on Intel N100.  Ubiquiti UAPs.

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: Could my line have SRA?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 02:06:03 PM »

It can indeed have SRA.
OpenReach are trialling SRA on VDSL2 at the moment.

It won't show as a resync on DslStats.

Not sure if any the stats show if SRA is active or not but if the sync is changing without a resync then you have SRA enabled.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2019, 05:25:38 PM »

Is SRA on BT VDSL2 downstream-only, or both directions?

displaced

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2019, 05:57:24 PM »

Thanks j0hn!

Weaver, I think it’s both U/S and D/S.  But I’ll pay a bit more attention and try to confirm.  Right now I’m still not entirely sure it’s SRA - I might just be missing resync notification emails!

Can’t complain though, the line’s running exceptionally well at the moment.  Be interesting to see how the rates climb as the weather cools down and my attenuation drops.
YouFibre 1Gbit, OPNsense on Intel N100.  Ubiquiti UAPs.

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2019, 06:20:00 PM »

Interesting - I knew that SRA was definitely on G.Fast and I read about the trial on ISPr, but didn't think it was going more widespread. FWIW I would get an e-mail from A&A but nothing yet, so it definitely isn't on my cabinet, yet.
Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2019, 02:27:35 PM »

@displaced

But I’ll pay a bit more attention and try to confirm.  Right now I’m still not entirely sure it’s SRA - I might just be missing resync notification emails!

As you have stated that you run DSLStats on your line surely "DSL Uptime" is clearly visable on the bottom banner of every display and should be indicative of any re-synch's., obviously this information could be obtained directly from your modem/router but with DSLStats you don't have to go to that bother.

Perhaps SRA action (re-synch) is not recognised as a re-synch by DSLStats, would have thought this unlikely but then I don't really know a lot about SRA, I'am sure some of the patrons will be more knowledgable on the subject.

Regarding re-synch e-mail warnings.
On the 3 VDSL-2 lines I monitor 24/7, own line, son's & daughter's, using RPi's and VNC utility, I have found that the "Alerts/Resynch" tick box option does not survive a DSLStats re-start and must be re-selected every time.

Edit:

It won't show as a resync on DslStats

Just noticed that j0hn has already answered the point I raised, apologies.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 03:09:23 PM by tiffy »
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2