Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What a lovely weekend  (Read 2308 times)

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: What a lovely weekend
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2019, 03:09:41 PM »

I'm really relieved that the forecast for tomorrow is good. I'm helping organise a kite festival near here and it's been heavily advertised that we will be flying our Pegasus kite.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2019, 10:12:15 AM »

That kite looks amazing. :)

I’ve just learned that our own plan for today is to make the most of it with a trip to the seaside.  This will most probably involve penny machines, fish&chips, crazy golf, and generally enjoying the sea views. 

Only trouble is... it’s an hour and a half’s drive away.   Makes me envious sometimes of those who live a little closer to the coastline with such facilities closer to hand.   ::)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2019, 11:13:45 AM »

Wow..  that kite is fab.   Hope all goes well :)

Hope you have a lovely day at the seaside today 7LM.   A tad cloudy here today but still warm and a bit of hazy sun, so that will do me.

>> Wish we’d had some of that rain, though.

We've had loads over the past month, the garden is flourishing and the weeds have been going mental.   We've also had quite a few strong winds, so the shrubs are also battered.   Aug was a bit of a damp squib.. was meant to be doing a BBQ a few weeks ago, but it ended up being just general party food served indoors.   Wasn't rain that stopped it but the wind.   In fact since about June there's only been the once when we've been able to do the pizza & wine 'til late :(   Shame as I love sitting in the garden on a warm summers eve with a bottle of wine and the log burner providing the light. :/ 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2019, 06:36:20 PM »

Well that was a nice day out.   Well worth it, glad we went.   Penny machines to lighten my wallet a bit, and fresh fish & chips eaten from the paper while strolling along the beach.  No crazy golf today, just too busy.   Everybody else seemed to have had the same idea I think. :D

I slightly begrudge the fact that, to get 4 hours on the South coast, I also had to spend 4 hours at the wheel of the car.  It was worse than usual, motorway reduced to a crawl for miles through sheer volume of traffic,  roadworks with interminable 50mph limits, plus it took an unexpected twenty minutes extra to find somewhere to park. >:(

I had no idea August had been so damp elsewhere.   I remember a few showery days, but our own BBQ probably got used more this summer than any previous.   I also remember a few very windy days, can’t remember exactly when, but the forecast panicked me into repairing some dodgy fence posts.

As regards my local rainfall, I now have admitted defeat and turned on the lawn sprinklers.  That must be a first, for me, this late in the year.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2019, 04:48:01 AM »

It has been very wet, really foul often times during the last few days, with horizontal rain at times. A lot of truly nasty weather. Last week Janet commented that it suddenly had begun to really smell like autumn. Bracken is very high.

There is a giant crop of big apples on the apple trees that Janet planeted in 2003. We are leaving them for another week or two before harvesting for pies.

A cooking apple from one of the trees; can’t remember which variety now:

One of the trees is a crab apple tree, chosen because it provides lots of flowers for the bees

There was a third very young tree but it got eaten by sheep and generally mangled and so did not survive. Somehow the other trees seem to have done well despite the cold, the wind and the salt. They are slightly sheltered because although they are up on a north-east-facing bank behind the house, they are behind a ridge and the prevailing winds from the southwest go over the top of the ridge and so over the top of the trees. Also, despite the risk of exposure to cold winds from the north, there are other trees to the north which provide some protection; these are the rowans seen in the photo.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2019, 04:02:08 PM »

As regards my local rainfall, I now have admitted defeat and turned on the lawn sprinklers.

And inevitably, it is now raining quite steadily.  :D

@Weaver, nice photos.  Re horizontal rain, reminds of first time I took other half 'home' to see Scotland, hoping she'd be impressed.   As we drove up out of Glasgow for a day trip, the clouds gathered.  By the time we were at the scenic bit of A82 towards Glencoe it had become windier and wetter.  Water was cascading down from the scenery in spontaneously formed waterfalls.

I'd rather it had been nice and sunny, as that's a lovely drive.  But I consoled myself that, in the mountainous setting, raining in spectacular horizontal stair rods was pretty impressive too. And probably a good second best to the sunshine I'd have chosen.   Not sure we bothered with the picnic we'd packed, though. ::)
Pages: 1 [2]

anything