Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What a lovely weekend  (Read 2309 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
What a lovely weekend
« on: August 25, 2019, 08:18:35 PM »

I see BBC are reporting the lovely weather represents “UK weather: Hottest late August bank holiday weekend on record”.  We saw 33.3 at Heathrow. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49466596

The report concludes with the obligatory, sinister, mention...
The government's advisory Committee on Climate Change has warned the UK is not prepared for the increase in heatwaves that is expected with global warming.

And, as with the early Easter, they fail to point out that the date of the August holiday varies from year to year and this year’s is quite early, so not terribly surprising it might, with a bit of luck, be relatively nice.   Out of interest, I checked to see if I could find underlying stats to draw a meaningful comparison of temperature extremes, compared to this time of year, from years gone by.  I found a Met Office page...

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/research/climate/maps-and-data/uk-climate-extremes

It seems the record for August seems to be 2003, 10th August - just two weeks earlier, when Kent saw 38.5, a full 5 degrees hotter.

And smashing as this weekend’s weather has been, it appears to be some way short of a record temperature for September, when South Yorkshire recorded 35.6 on 2nd September, a whole week later, in 1906.

:)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: What a lovely weekend
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2019, 03:51:41 AM »

Janettold me that it was 25C here in Skye on Sunday.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2019, 01:41:07 PM »

Currently 27.2C  here, according to the usually accurate sensor, in the shade behind the garden shed.  Pretty much matches the met office stats for an hour ago, 28C, from a weather station a few miles away.

I’ve been experimenting by watching the temps closely.  I open a few doors and windows early morning then, at the point in the day when outdoor temp rises above indoor, all doors and windows are closed and curtains drawn.  It does seem to work - early evening yesterday, indoors was nearly 5C below outdoors, despite having being all closed up for hours.  :)

pooclah

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2019, 04:11:46 PM »

I’ve wanted to do just that the last couple of days, but my wife insists on fresh air and believes it keeps the house cooler.  I then spend most of the late evening chasing moths and looking for spiders that may have come in because she can’t sleep while they’re in the house.

29C according to my cheap in the shade garden thermometer here in Newbury at the moment.

Kevin

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2019, 04:48:37 PM »

One of my daily jobs in summer is, once the air has cooled a bit outside, to arrange a couple of big fans on interior window ledges upstairs.   One is facing out, the other in, with location chosen to assist whatever is the wind direction, thus cooling the house for bedtime.   It can be very effective.   When that happens, I get lots of brownie points. :graduate:

Unfortunately an easy mistake to make, concentration having been focused on the science of wind speed research and choice of fan location,  is to forget to switch off the light.   You then have bugs, attracted by the lights, filling the rooms.   Better still, many get shredded by the fan blades, their remains blown over furniture and bedding.    When that happens, I get in a lot of trouble.   :'(

pooclah

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2019, 06:13:48 PM »

Been there many times, do your best, make a small mistake, the end of the world.

I like the idea of two fans at the window pointing in different directions, makes perfect sense.  Thank you for the tip.

Totally off topic.  I intended to write window cill but the spell checker told me it was wrong.  Now to find out why I’ve got the spelling of a word that I’ve regularly written over the last 50 years is spelt wrong.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2019, 06:38:41 PM »

Totally off topic.  I intended to write window cill but the spell checker told me it was wrong.  Now to find out why I’ve got the spelling of a word that I’ve regularly written over the last 50 years is spelt wrong.

That’s why I wrote ‘ledge’.  In conversation I’d say the other word, but realised when typing that last post, I’d was unsure how to spell it. :D

pooclah

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2019, 07:25:15 PM »

I'm really sorry to drag your thread off topic but annoyance got the better of me.

I'm in the trade, and the strange thing is if I were talking to a costumer I would say window cill, if I were talking to a timber merchant I would say window board.  The timber merchant would understand either term.

It looks like my spelling of the could be wrong, oh well.

So why do some people use “cill” at all? Well sometime in the 1800’s, some amazingly clever people, true visionaries, basically just decided that they were going to spell it differently. It stuck as a sort of peculiarly British variant of the “normal” spelling, particularly in the booming industry of digging canals, which down to this day is the only place where “cill” is by far and away the most readily accepted spelling. In the building industry too “cill” seems to be holding on with remarkable tenacity, a testament to the bulldog spirit of this plucky British word, like a kind of linguistic red squirrel.

From here https://www.thorogood.co.uk/cills-or-sills-debate/

Kevin

« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 07:43:59 PM by pooclah »

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2019, 08:27:54 PM »

I'm really sorry to drag your thread off topic but annoyance got the better of me.

Not at all, it’s in chit chat. :)

I’m not in the trade but I did have to buy one once and found it was indeed known as a window board in the timber merchant’s printed catalogue.  I’d forgotten that, until now.

From here https://www.thorogood.co.uk/cills-or-sills-debate/

Nice link, thanks.  :)

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2019, 06:23:21 PM »

A little bit more wind would have been nice! We were at Bognor kite festival and struggled to fly anything. Saturday was the best - the Pegasus in the first video on this post is ours.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2019, 07:34:57 PM »

Now very sultry and humid, this afternoon, in East Anglia. Some rain would be a nice experience.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2019, 09:04:15 PM »

Some rain would be a nice experience.

Be careful what you wish for.  In the climate in which we live, history has shown, it can be granted at short notice. :D

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2019, 01:38:04 AM »

I have had all the blinds drawn and the windows shut in the bedroom. Janet has opened one window slightly behind one of the the blinds. The bathroom window is open and the sun comes blazing in through that window. I have been asleep most of the time for two days. Janet was grumbling at my this evening because she says that I have not had anything to drink for too many hours and will therefore get kidney problems. When she woke me up this evening she changed my fentanyl patch and I felt very awful, but after a lot of pain relief I’m ok now.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2019, 09:58:32 AM »

More sun forecast today  :sun:  :)

Although it will be cooler oop norf.    I've not much liked the rain we've had for the past week & I've been feeling it  :rain:
I think I need to emigrate to warmer climates  :D
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2019, 02:29:34 PM »

Rather pleasant here again.  Deep blue skies with just a few wafts of light cloud, 22-ish and not a breath of wind.   Enjoying a cuppa on the patio as I write this post, in the dappled sunshine breaking through the trees.

Wish we’d had some of that rain, though.   I treated the lawns to some autumn feed & mosskill treatment about two or three weeks ago.   The instructions said it needed rain within two days and all my favourite weather forecasters agreed heavy showers were expected over coming days at the time I spread it, but I’m still waiting. :(

Pages: [1] 2