Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: My first Win10 1903 minor bug - rebooting after shutdown  (Read 4228 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
My first Win10 1903 minor bug - rebooting after shutdown
« on: August 25, 2019, 12:42:33 PM »

Ok, all was going well after the recent 1903 update I did. But the other night I 'thought' I'd turned my pc off for the day, then when I looked around the windows was still on. I thought that was odd and clicked shutdown and it shut down properly.

Since then I made an extra mental note when I clicked shutdown and last night I watched it boot back up after I'd shut it down. When I shut it down again it keeps shut down.

Anyone know why it would reboot like that after I clicked the shut down? So far it seems to only do it when the PC as been on all day.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

pooclah

• Reg Member
Re: My first Win10 1903 minor bug - rebooting after shutdown
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2019, 03:16:52 PM »

Are you sure you're not accidentally clicking Restart?  Easily done.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2019, 04:43:04 PM »

I'm sure. But I'll pay extra attention tonight. So far its done the reboot twice, once per day when I first attempt to shut it down.

So I'll click on a different part of the shut down button tonight and see how it goes  :fingers:

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2019, 04:55:36 PM »

Make sure there’s not a book, cat, whatever, resting on the keyboard.   Most recently I experienced that same symptom was on a diskless Unix box that serves my TV.  It had a wireless keyboard that is rarely used and so tucked down the side of the TV cabinet.  Somehow it had got disturbed so the ESC key was squashed and trapped down, instantly reawakening it every time I shut it down.

It’s a while since I used Microsoft’s Operating Systems, but I vaguely recall a couple of issues I tracked down, that were interfering with Windows sleep/shutdown.

One was if a remote machine was connected to file an XP box that offered file sharing, it would prevent the XP box from sleeping.

Another was, if the machine crashed during shutdown, and was configured to restart  automatically after crashes well... it did exactly that.

I also tend to be mistrustful of the BIOS option, Wake on Lan.  If not needed, I disable it.

... just a few suggestions. :)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2019, 12:55:12 PM »

Ok, the last couple of nights its not done it.

I did find out that it blue screened twice when it was rebooting over the past couple of nights. Using bluescreenviewer I thought it was a graphics driver issue, as vga was mentioned, though it was a Windows process that was triggering it. But I've played the same games I always do daily (ESO and GW2) and the problem didn't happen.

So the only thing I've not done in the past 2 days was plug in usb drives. So I'm going to do that today and see if the problem happens. If it doesn't then I think the problem as gone away.

The only thing I did during all this was run the /sfc scannow command, but it didn't find anything wrong.

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2019, 05:19:14 PM »

Set your power management to performance.....  :fingers: see how you get on.
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2019, 10:10:33 AM »

I think I'm on performance already.

Well its murphy's law that as soon as I think the problem is solved, it comes back!  :(

Got another bluescreen / reboot last night. The bluescreenviewer is pointing to the same issue each time. The bug check code is 139 and the culprit is ntoskrnl.exe+ 1bfcc0

I'm still thinking it might be something to do with the graphics driver. But does anyone know how to debug a dump file? I've noticed on some forums some people debug the file and it tells them the exact process that was causing it.

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2019, 02:48:16 PM »

Could you show a summary of the hardware that you're using?

I had a blue screen with ntoskrnl+Nvidia ... can't remember how I fixed it, but I used 'Who Crashed' to debug the error code.
There is a free home edition version https://www.resplendence.com/downloads, although some further analysis  parts may require pro version.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2019, 03:40:11 PM »

ntoskrnl.exe is a part Windows that communicates with the hardware/drivers.

It could be ANY piece of hardware or driver causing the issue.

The dump file needs examined to tell what the issue is.

I'd recommend running memtest86 with each RAM stick individually if you have made no recent hardware/driver changes.
Might want to run this overnight as it takes ages.

Also good practice to reset any overclocking to defaults while troubleshooting these things.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2019, 10:35:50 AM »

It crashed again on shutdown last night. It's weird that it doesn't do it every time.

I downloaded the 'Who Crashed' home edition, though it didn't say what was causing it. I wonder if the pro edition would? Here is what it said;

On Fri 30/08/2019 01:13:23 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\083019-9296-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x1BFCC0)
Bugcheck code: 0x139 (0x3, 0xFFFFE28191543180, 0xFFFFE281915430D8, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: The kernel has detected the corruption of a critical data structure.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

I'm pretty sure its something to do with the nvidia drivers that I updated just before I updated windows to 1903. I noticed when I put in the 139 and the kernal security check failure, there are quite a lot of people with the same problem with the same driver version I have. I'm going to try updating the driver. Again my only issue with updating to new drivers is they all seem to carry their own bugs. I don't know why nvidia keep releasing full driver updates when 1 game comes out. They need to start splitting the update up in to a main update and game profile updates. They could even have them as different installers.

I'm just trying to isolate why it happens sometimes but not other times. I did notice that when I updated the nvidia driver it changed a lot of my monitor settings. It's not really the best driver as its not that smooth in the games I play either. I think I'll wait for a good driver version to come up then update it.

All this trouble because windows wanted to add new features that the majority of people don't use  :(

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2019, 07:43:08 PM »

I did have a problem with my system blue screening while playing world of tanks  ::), all due to a Nvidia driver problem, had to wait till the next release version to fix this.
So.... I now only use the DCH driver versions, you need to uninstall all parts of the old style drivers first with DDU https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
then reboot to install DCH ones.
It also is a lot quicker installing updates later on, as long as you download DCH versions (old and new are not compatible).

My current hardware https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/19732571

Update hardware specs
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 07:53:19 PM by parkdale »

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2019, 03:19:05 PM »

Hi Bowden, did you get your blue screening fixed?, I did use this utility https://github.com/CHEF-KOCH/MSI-utility/releases to fix my IRQ sharing problem, this is what caused most of my blue screens
Download and open the zip file, Right-click the "MSI_util_v2.exe" and Run as administrator.
Enable MSI for each GPU listed.
Restart the system.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2019, 06:49:21 PM »

I haven't solved the issue yet. But the strange thing is it doesn't do it every time.

I'm 100% sure but when I close all the programs I'm using for about 5 minutes before I shut windows down it tends to shut down ok.

I suspect it might be something to do with the nvidia driver as usually something odd always happens on every major windows update. The last update I did the graphics cards would run hot, and while it wasn't shutting the computer down I could feel the heat in my room. As soon as I updated the drivers that problem went away. My flaw this time was I'd updated the driver a week before I updated windows. At some point I'll update the graphics driver. But I'm waiting for a good version with few complaints.

I got to say the rate of drivers being released these days, its no wonder there are system problems. I'm sure each company is struggling to keep up with each other.

anything